Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Songs that touch the core of your being!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Songs that touch the core of your being!

Music is so subjective, which is the beauty of it as we all get to like what touches us emotionally, rhythmically, lyrically, spiritually (perhaps) or combinations thereof. Plus it's not restricted to genre or time.

I was thinking this morning about songs that captured my soul/heart/mind the very first time I heard them and have stayed with me through the years and decades. Some examples:

Marvin Gaye - Mercy Mercy Me
    Spirit - Nature's Way
    Cat Stevens - Father & Son
    Alan Parsons - Old & Wise
    Kate Bush - The Man with the Child in his Eyes
    Sarah McLachlan - Adia
    Jewel - Foolish Games
    Bob Dylan - Knockin' On Heaven's Door
    Hozier - Take Me To Church
    The Beach Boys - God Only Knows
    Michael Jackson - Man In The Mirror

I find all of these songs to be lyrically very powerful and there is a direct correlation between them and my own personal experiences, thoughts and/or opinions.
    Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
    Speakers/Amps: Genesis G2.2 Jr with Powered Servo-Sub Bass, Genesis GR1440 Mono Amps, 5,000 watts total power
    Preamp: SMc Audio VRE-1C Preamp (fully balanced inputs and output)
    Analog 1: VPI Signature 21 Belt-Drive Turntable w/ 10” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Windfeld Ti Phono Cartridge driving Lehmann Silver Cube Phono Preamp
    Analog 2: VPI HW-40 Direct-Drive Turntable w/ 12” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Anna Diamond Phono Cartridge driving Genesis Gold Phono Preamp
    Analog 3: Studer A810 R2R tape w/ Bridge Console. Using built-in tape preamp
    Digital: Lumin Network Player with Lumin NAS
    Cables: Genesis Advanced Technologies/Absolute Fidelity Interface Interconnects, Speaker, Phono and Power
    A/C Power: Extensive System Upgrades, Sub-panel w/hard-wired power cables, and IsoTek Super Titan Passive Power Conditioning for Amplifiers
    Accessories: Custom Acrylic Equipment Stands, Klaudio Ultrasonic RCM

Comment

"Can't Find My Way Back Home" -Blind Faith. Stevie Winwood's plaintive voice, the plucked acoustic guitar line, a sort of relentless shuffle of rhythm parts, and a minor/major key change up all work in combination with the murky recording (those cymbals that sound like muted trash lids) to create a perfect little time capsule of despair. It is a lovely, haunting tune that I've been listening to since it was released.

Comment

I'll name one which gets me every time. Few of you will know what I'm talking about but I'll throw it out here anyway, Jussi Bjorling singing tenor aria from Tchaikowskys Eugene Onegin.
        TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Ortofon Windfeld-Ti Cartridge, Harmonix-Combak platter mat & weight; PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamp; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner.

Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer

VTL 6.5 preamp Series II
        Pass Labs 150.8 Amp

Piega C711 Loudspeakers

Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls

Acoustic Revive RR-888 Low Frequency Pulse Generator, Synergistic Research 12 UEF SE Line Conditioner, Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cords, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates, Synergistic Research Orange Outlet, Furutech NCF Booster Braces, Audio Art Ref IC, MIT Oracle IC, synergistic Research Atmosphere X Euphoria Level 3 Balanced ICs, Synergistic Research Euphoria Level 3 Speaker Cables, Synergistic Research Cable Risers.

Sennheiser HDV 650 Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD800s Headphones.

Comment

Originally posted by 1morerecord2clean View Post
          I'll name one which gets me every time. Few of you will know what I'm talking about but I'll throw it out here anyway, Jussi Bjorling singing tenor aria from Tchaikowskys Eugene Onegin.
          My old man would know that music. Somebody else on this forum knows opera quite well too.
          Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

• 1morerecord2clean
            1morerecord2clean commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't believe Bjorling recorded the opera and he probably never sang it live. I have it on a CD of his 1957 Carnegie Hall solo concert. I think he sings it in Swedish not Russian.

A couple of opera arias:
          Jose Carreras - Puccini Tosca - E lucevan le stelle
          Kiri Te Kanawa - Bernard Herman Citizen Kane - Theme and Variations Aria from "Salammbo"
          Speakers/Amps: Genesis G2.2 Jr with Powered Servo-Sub Bass, Genesis GR1440 Mono Amps, 5,000 watts total power
          Preamp: SMc Audio VRE-1C Preamp (fully balanced inputs and output)
          Analog 1: VPI Signature 21 Belt-Drive Turntable w/ 10” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Windfeld Ti Phono Cartridge driving Lehmann Silver Cube Phono Preamp
          Analog 2: VPI HW-40 Direct-Drive Turntable w/ 12” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Anna Diamond Phono Cartridge driving Genesis Gold Phono Preamp
          Analog 3: Studer A810 R2R tape w/ Bridge Console. Using built-in tape preamp
          Digital: Lumin Network Player with Lumin NAS
          Cables: Genesis Advanced Technologies/Absolute Fidelity Interface Interconnects, Speaker, Phono and Power
          A/C Power: Extensive System Upgrades, Sub-panel w/hard-wired power cables, and IsoTek Super Titan Passive Power Conditioning for Amplifiers
          Accessories: Custom Acrylic Equipment Stands, Klaudio Ultrasonic RCM

Comment

Here's one for me:

And another, the classic Billie Holliday song done by Cassandra Wilson:

Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
            Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
            -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
            -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
            -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
            -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
            -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
            -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
            -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
            -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
            -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Here's a few more that came to mind last night. From the more folk/rock school.

Couldn't decide between the next two:

Then two anthems of a generation:

(sorry for the audio but loved the 1964 recording)

And this written by John Phillips of The Mamas and Papas.

Last, hard to choose one from this duo but you have no heart if this doesn't choke you up.

-VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

From the classical world:

Beethoven: Symphony #9

Gershwin: Rhapsody in Blue

Handel: Messiah

Copland: Appalachian Spring

Comment

From the rock world:

Perhaps my all-time favorite rock song: (and Lindsey Buckingham might be one of the most underappreciated guitarists)

Hard choice next but this one won out:

Lot's of sentimentality here.

Comment

Working...
                        X