New Esa-Pekka Salonen Cello Concerto @ The NYPhil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Esa-Pekka Salonen Cello Concerto @ The NYPhil

Last night I attended the NY Premier of the Salonen Cello Concerto with the NY Phil. Gilbert conducting (though Salonen was in attendance and spoke about the piece while the orchestra was setting up), with Yo-Yo Ma on cello. Have to say, it was a very unusual nouveau piece that introduced looping (yes looping) and surround sound in a Concerto. After the piece was over, I looked around and saw the surround speakers setup on the sides and the back of the hall. There was a sound box in one corner of the hall, I presume doing the looping for Yo-Yo. Really enjoyed the first two movements, the last being a bit eclectic for my taste, but interesting just the same. It was definitely enjoyable to see Yo-Yo build up a huge sweat during the last frantic movement. If you are looking for something different, check out this Salonen Concerto some time!

Here's a story by the NY Times about the piece:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/13/a...-concerto.html

Some photos from the evening:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00162.jpeg
Views:	87
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	47538Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00172.jpeg
Views:	88
Size:	270.2 KB
ID:	47539Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00190.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	47534Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00204.jpeg
Views:	78
Size:	321.7 KB
ID:	47535Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00234.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	259.6 KB
ID:	47536Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00225.jpeg
Views:	83
Size:	356.3 KB
ID:	47537

You can see the surround speakers they installed at each level of the hall.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00226.jpeg
Views:	83
Size:	289.5 KB
ID:	47543
    Attached Files
    Kronos Sparta -> Trinity Phono -> Trinity Pre -> CH Precision A1 -> Magico S7s

Ha! One of my clients who is a semi-professional violinist was just telling me about the concert. She said the Esa-Pekka Salonen piece was stupendous!
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

My wife and I really enjoyed the first two movements. The last movement was, er, interesting...

Comment

Originally posted by allenh View Post
        My wife and I really enjoyed the first two movements. The last movement was, er, interesting...
        That was the amplifier section?
        Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
        -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
        -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
        -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
        -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
        -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
        -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
        -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
        -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
        -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Of course, its going to be difficult to judge now, whether this is a great concerto or not. We need a little distance, especially if the harmonies are not from the standard tonal palette that we have become used to. After all Beethoven's most popular symphony through his entire life was his first symphony. And now most people would rank it at or near the bottom in popularity today. We heard the new Mason Bates Cello Concerto a few weeks ago, played by the Berkeley Symphony. It is very tonal - quite immediately accessible and a crowd pleaser. However, I don't know whether it will be regard like Manfredini or Salieri rather than Vivaldi or Mozart with the perspective of time.

Allen, at least you can tell your grandchildren you were there at the premiere, if it turns out to be a great concerto.

Larry
          Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
          Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
          Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
          Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
          Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
          Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
          Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Interesting you say that Larry. Salonen pointed out that he had the cello hit B+, which he noted was probably the highest register you can get a cello to play it (symbolism for some entity breaking out of its boundary). Have to say, was unusual to hear a cello hit that note.

Larry, was the cello drowned out by the rest of the orchestra sometimees? It seemed to happen every now and then with the Salonen piece. You can see Ma playing, but his notes barely came through.

The John Adams piece, a composer Gilbert seems to favor, was excellent. Will look to purchase a recording of that when available. And Symphonie Fantastique never sounded so good on my system! Overall a great night!

Comment

Allen, sounds like a very interesting program. John Adams is, I believe, by far the most popular classical composer alive. He lives in the Bay Area and almost always attends concerts where his pieces are performed, which is quite frequently, so we see him fairly often, coming up to acknowledge the applause for his pieces. He was a couple of years behind me in college and I saw him conduct one of the Harvard orchestras when he was a sophomore. I lived in Adams House which was named after his namesakes, the two John Adams who were presidents and Harvard grads. But he didn't live there. (BTW, both Alan Gilbert and Yo-Yo ma went to Harvard also - probably all a coincidence). The piece you heard came from the opera he wrote, "Nixon in China", which was recorded some time ago. I think the excerpt you heard, "The Chairman Dances" is probably the most popular part.

Not sure what a B+ is on a cello. The top string of a cello is an A, but, of course, one can play extremely high notes if you go way up near the bridge on the A string.

Take care, Larry
              Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
              Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
              Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
              Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
              Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
              Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
              Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Working...
              X