Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Concerts Have You Recently Attended?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jazdoc
    commented on 's reply
    We saw him with this group at Dizzy's in Columbus Circle...the dude still rocks!

• MylesBAstor
    replied
    I'm thinking of getting tickets for this one next weekend. Saw Roy's 80th birthday bash at The Blue Note. Oughta be something with Pat Metheny too!

http://www.bluenote.net/newyork/sche...o.cgi?id=13613

Leave a comment:

• jazdoc
    replied
    Spent a delightful evening listening to Jovino Santos Neto and Paul Taub in a beautiful new space in downtown Bellevue. Jovino is not only a world class musician; here has an encyclopedic knowledge of Brazilian musical history. Here is a sampling:

Leave a comment:

• jazdoc
    replied

Really enjoyed hearing Eilen Jewell again...above is a sampling. Her guitarist is spectacular.

Leave a comment:

• allenh
    replied
    Originally posted by astrotoy View Post

We heard Bronfman last month in a solo recital in Berkeley. He is quite a pianist. Described accurately as a bear of a man, he performed the first of three recitals which will cover the complete Prokofiev piano sonatas, which he played with both incredible technique and great passion. The next two are coming up next month. I think he is doing a similar set in NYC.

In a very different vein, we heard Jordi Savall, playing the treble and bass viols, in a concert of Celtic Music tonight. He plays a wide range of music, with different musicians - tonight it was with Frank McGuire, the Irish bodram player (a Celtic percussion instrument capable of great tonal variety.) Savall is the greatest player of the viol, a set of instruments that preceded the violin family, played held by the knees and with frets. He used four different tunings, including ones that imitated the lyre and and bagpipes.

Sunday will be the Danish String Quartet whom we have heard a couple of times before, a very fine young quartet. And then a week later is Renee Fleming singing with Olga Kern accompanying on the piano.

We do about 70 concerts a year, and this time of year is pretty active, averaging a couple of concerts a week.

Larry

Larry, yes, Bronfman is a huge guy. The last pianist we saw was Trifonov, a slender young man who had a grace and flow to his playing. Despite Bronfman's large size, he was equally gracefully and adept in his touch. He played Liszt Piano Concerto No. 2. Is that difficult to play, Larry? Certainly looked it!

Leave a comment:

• allenh
    replied
    Originally posted by JackD201 View Post
    I was never a fan of Madonna. 30 years later I get her now. I've always considered her music fluff but never realized that the music was meant to be part of a concert experience. The album material is also arranged very differently from the stage material. It's almost as if the albums are teaser trailers or ads to entice you to go and experience the real thing. The production and stagecraft was easily high budget West End or Broadway standard and inching towards Circ de Soleil standards (there were gymnasts too). At the center of it all, a 57 year old woman who displayed the most uncanny sensibilities when it comes to making even her earliest works as current as her new. Weak voice and now shaky dancing notwithstanding her rapport with the audience was off the charts. If she can't write or arrange, she certainly knows how to choose the right people. I was most pleasantly surprised to have been proven wrong about my expectations. I'm glad I went.

Jack, great to hear. I liked Madonna back when she came out, but haven't given her latest music a serious listen.

Two artists I'd like to go see in concert along the same vein is Lady Gaga and P!ink. After the National Anthem at the Superbowl, that lady can really sing!

Leave a comment:

• astrotoy
    replied
    Originally posted by allenh View Post
    This past Saturday, Lincoln Center. Wonderful program.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n4992[/ATTACH]

Not even close. Nothing beats live, unamplified music!
    We heard Bronfman last month in a solo recital in Berkeley. He is quite a pianist. Described accurately as a bear of a man, he performed the first of three recitals which will cover the complete Prokofiev piano sonatas, which he played with both incredible technique and great passion. The next two are coming up next month. I think he is doing a similar set in NYC.

In a very different vein, we heard Jordi Savall, playing the treble and bass viols, in a concert of Celtic Music tonight. He plays a wide range of music, with different musicians - tonight it was with Frank McGuire, the Irish bodram player (a Celtic percussion instrument capable of great tonal variety.) Savall is the greatest player of the viol, a set of instruments that preceded the violin family, played held by the knees and with frets. He used four different tunings, including ones that imitated the lyre and and bagpipes.

Sunday will be the Danish String Quartet whom we have heard a couple of times before, a very fine young quartet. And then a week later is Renee Fleming singing with Olga Kern accompanying on the piano.

We do about 70 concerts a year, and this time of year is pretty active, averaging a couple of concerts a week.

Larry

Leave a comment:

• JackD201
    replied
    I was never a fan of Madonna. 30 years later I get her now. I've always considered her music fluff but never realized that the music was meant to be part of a concert experience. The album material is also arranged very differently from the stage material. It's almost as if the albums are teaser trailers or ads to entice you to go and experience the real thing. The production and stagecraft was easily high budget West End or Broadway standard and inching towards Circ de Soleil standards (there were gymnasts too). At the center of it all, a 57 year old woman who displayed the most uncanny sensibilities when it comes to making even her earliest works as current as her new. Weak voice and now shaky dancing notwithstanding her rapport with the audience was off the charts. If she can't write or arrange, she certainly knows how to choose the right people. I was most pleasantly surprised to have been proven wrong about my expectations. I'm glad I went.

Leave a comment:

• 1morerecord2clean
    replied
    And how. The real thing just kills the repro. But the repro is so much fun and can be had every night of the week.

Leave a comment:

• allenh
    replied
    This past Saturday, Lincoln Center. Wonderful program.

Click image for larger version

Name:	NY Phil.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	4992

My wife and I enjoyed the Kodaly piece very much. The next day I spun this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	R-6637181-1423589699-8484.jpeg.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	4993

Not even close. Nothing beats live, unamplified music!

Leave a comment:

• Steve Lefkowicz
    replied
    In January we saw Samantha Crain at The Hotel Cafe. Cute little venue (only 6 tables, the rest is standing room). She was amazing, playing solo (just her and her guitar). Hard to imagine how much raw emotion she pours into every song.
    Opening act was Alec Lylte and Them Rounders, who were a surprise treat. Had to buy their LP while I was there, too. This band need to be better known and reach a wider audience.

Leave a comment:

• Garth
    replied
    I got ZZ Top tickets row 8

Leave a comment:

• jazdoc
    replied
    Delfayo Marsalis at Snug Harbor
    Donald Harrison at Snug Harbor
    Galactic with Mike Dillon New Year's Eve at Tipatina's --- epic
    Mike Dillon Band at the Royal Room
    Jeremy Pelt at Jazz Alley
    Budos Band at Neumos
    Durand premiere piano piece last Saturday
    Eilien Jewell at Tractor Tavern tomorrow

Whew!

Leave a comment:

• lasercd
    replied
    Just saw Delain/Sonata Arctica/Nightwish. I am seeing Magma at Underground Arts in Philadelphia on March 30th.

Leave a comment:

• nc42acc
    replied
    Last concert was Joe Bonamassa last year. I will go see him this year if he will come close enough to me.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X