Hotel California Version question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotel California Version question.

You always hear Hotel California Live demos and wanted to know which is the actual best one. Is it the live version from Hell Freezes Over or from Eagles Live or is there another special higher quality?

Yeah, I've always like the one from the "Hell Freezes Over" album. The DVD has the most dynamics.... unless you have the tape!!!

Comment

Last I saw the original goes for bongo bucks.
      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
      -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
      -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
      -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

IMHO Hell Freezes Over is quite a bit better than Eagles Live. The DVD-A is excellent - I love how it starts from backstage and then goes all the way through stage chatter, etc. Dynamics on the 24-bit/48kHz PCM track are exceptional compared to all other digital versions.

However, I prefer the vinyl. Get the original Geffen Dutch pressing if you can find it. Geffen also did a reissue recently, also pressed in Holland. Not sure that I can tell the difference between the $300 album and the $60 one. The Simply Vinyl UK-pressed re-issue is not worth the money at almost the same price as the original. It's just a bit heavier vinyl but I thought a little less dynamic. You might as well get the original.
        Gary L Koh, CEO and Chief Designer
        Genesis Advanced Technologies, Inc.
        www.genesisloudspeakers.com

Comment

• Joe Pittman
          Joe Pittman commented
          Editing a comment
          Gary, how do you tell the difference between the original 1994 and 2014 Dutch pressings? Was the 2014 pressing an unofficial bootleg pressing?

• garylkoh
          garylkoh commented
          Editing a comment
          Next time you're over, I'll show you.... and play both. There are very subtle differences as the two pressings were probably made with the same graphics, etc. coming from the same label.

I have a great live version from direct tv I riped
        i think it was from the palladium channel not sure though
        it starts with a drum . The eagles is one of those bands that got burned into my brain so I don't really play them at all.
        analog stuff.
        otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
        otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
        sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
        new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
        thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
        thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
        kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
        phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
        speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
        mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
        digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
        Dacs lampi various

Comment

hell freezes over version. I even once heard a cd of it that was pretty impressive.
          Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mono) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

• Boltman92124
            Boltman92124 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes the CD is definitely a demo disc for Redbook that's for sure.

I have a 24/96 version that is superb...cant recall where I got it from. Prolly DVD Audio.

Comment

Hell Freezes Over was digitally recorded/mastered I believe ??? The best version of the Hotel Cali (studio) record is by Steve Hoffman on DCC, imho. I do not have a US original press nor have I heard the obscure dutch version gary alludes too.
            Christian
            System Gear

Comment

• JCOConnell
              JCOConnell commented
              Editing a comment
              the mofi Hotel California is excellent, haven't heard a DCC to compare.

• JCOConnell
              JCOConnell commented
              Editing a comment
              the Dutch Lp referred to is HFO not HC.

• garylkoh
              garylkoh commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes - the Dutch version is Hell Freezes Over, not Hotel California. IIRC the Dutch pressing is the more common version of the 1st run of HFO.

I recall watching the Hell Freezes Over video on TV back in the day. And that would be the 640/480 vga format we had become accustomed to. What struck me overall was how good that group was live. They seemed just as tight, composed and crafty live as they were on their previous studio albums.

At the time I was otherwise occupied and not really having much focus on audio. I bought the CD. And I thought it sounded great. Still have it. I just looked on the back outer slip cover and noticed the coding: ADD
            I think this suggests an analog master, unless I misunderstand that coding.

As I recall I mostly listened to The Eagles while driving. Though I did purchase some of their Lps back in the day. Still have those. Always what really impressed me about this group was their mastery of the instrumentals. Their sound, definitely leaning toward the country side of the rock genre had no problem converting me to their cause. A very good cross-over group. Though I must admit I've never been a fan of country music, while, at the same time, I always found something within that genre that worked well for me.

-Steve
            webmaster at The Analog Dept.
            system list:Classe' CAP 151 integrated, Carver TX-11b Tuner, NHT 2.9 Speakers, Thorens TD124 ( plus other Thorens models), Otari MX-5050 BII-2 R2R, Jolida JD100 cd player, ML-9600 digital recorder

Comment

Regarding the studio album of Hotel California, I have the early mofi Lp which sounds excellent. I once had a Japanese pressing that was vastly inferior, very hissy and no bass that I sold after I scored the mofi.
              Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mono) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Honestly, I got burned out on the HFO version, because that was the demo track among members of our audio club (and at the shows I attended). I heard it soooo many times, I had nightmares about it! I understand its sonic merits, and it is a very good arrangement, but when I want to hear that track (which isn't often these days), I usually reach for the studio album (preferably, the DCC gold CD).
                Source: Marantz SA-7S1 (modded); Amplifier: Coda S12.5 stereo amplifier (modded); Speakers: JENA Labs Studio Reference; Cabling and power conditioning: JENA Labs, Dussun; Subwoofer: Rythmik 15" with DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 EQ; Isolation: SRA Craz rack, SRA Ohio Class base under source, SRA VR bases under amplifier and Dussun regenerator

Comment

Actually..... I prefer to demo Tequila Sunrise off the Hell Freezes Over album. I think that it is more impressive sonically (the bassline is subtle and involving) and it is much less often played.
                  Gary L Koh, CEO and Chief Designer
                  Genesis Advanced Technologies, Inc.
                  www.genesisloudspeakers.com

Comment

Working...
                  X