No announcement yet.

Canada: A Nation Bursting with Talent!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada: A Nation Bursting with Talent!

For a country with a population of only 36.3 million people it has produced/introduced some of the most popular and influential musicians/artists in popular culture. It cannot lay claim to bands such as The Beatles (UK) or The Beach Boys (US), but it more than holds its own with individual singer/songwriters and musicians. There is no denying the impact of a Glenn Gould, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Sarah McLachlan,Oscar Peterson, Leonard Cohen, Gordon Lightfoot and Hank Snow. And this is just scratching the surface.

A large part of it's success must be given to the Canadian Radio-television Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) who in 1971 mandated that 25% of radio airplay be devoted to Canadian content. That decision initially caused an outburst of protest saying they went too far, but it turned out to be one of the best decisions the CRTC ever made. More money started pouring into production to up quality, labels started to look locally, regionally and nationally at artists that were establishing bases and grassroots excitement. These artists were then nurtured and given a better opportunity for success. More importantly though, Canadians themselves started to appreciate the talent pool that was all around them and became more inclined to support them. That support allowed many Canadian artists to establish themselves internationally as word spread.

I love all music and don't care who is from where, but I'm also very proud of what Canada has contributed to the world and I just wanted to make that known. I love my The Tragically Hip, Philosopher Kings, Jacksoul, Frank Marino, Gino Vannelli, Harmonium, k.d.lang, and many others.

So the next time you hear of an artist/band from Canada....give them a listen.

Oh...and thank you for allowing me this self-indulgent and patriotic posting.

JV

Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

You overlooked the Guess Who?!?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by Rust View Post
      You overlooked the Guess Who?!?!?!
      I was only giving some examples so I didn't, but yes...they certainly rank right up there with the best.
      Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

Johnny you over looked Justin Bieber I am sure you meant to include him I heard he brought in over 80 Million last year.

Comment

Good grief Garth, it's almost suppertime, don't bring up things like that.

Comment

• Garth
            Garth commented
            Editing a comment
            That is funny ok how about the Bells do you remember them from Montreal early 60s

Can't say that I do. What song(s) are theirs?

Comment

Don't forget HP's favorite: Rough Trade.

Then BTO, Rush, The Band (kind of), Bryan Adams, etc.

Hey as my parents used to say, there's no monopoly on brains (or talent).

Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
            Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
            -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
            -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
            -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
            -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
            -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
            -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
            -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
            -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
            -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by Rust View Post
              Can't say that I do. What song(s) are theirs?

Moody Manitoba Morning and Stay Awhile from the same album (Stay Awhile). Not my cup of tea, but the album sold well.

Comment

• Garth
                Garth commented
                Editing a comment
                First Gold record for Polydor they opened in Canada with this band as they could not open in the USA so they started in Canada to get their foot in the door in North America

We tend to only speak of Canada and their musical contributions without much regard for the talent of French-language artists that I was fortunate enough to be exposed to when living in Montreal. Gilles Vigneault, Robert Charlebois, Diane Dufresne, Serge Fiori, Boule Noire, Ville Emard Blues band, etc.

I think many of you of would really like Diane Dufresne.

Comment

Michel Pagliaro is a great French Canadian artist also i think Mahogany Rush was from Quebec great guitar player not a bad vocalist as well Strange Universe was one album Frankie Marion have not heard much about him lately.

Comment

• Johnny Vinyl
                  Johnny Vinyl commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That guitar player is Frank Marino. There isn't a player in the world who does Hendrix like he does. I met him when he was 15/16 in Montreal. My buddy and I used to organize monthly dances in the church basement and we booked him for one of those dances. Even then he stunned everyone with his playing. I haven't followed his career much in the last decade or so, so I don;t know what he's been up to.

Garth - still not ringing a bell with me. I do remember a little girl band from the Seattle area that went north of the parallel to get a little traction, two sisters named Ann and Nancy or something like that. For a period of time it was easier to gain acceptance in Canada than it was below the parallel.

Comment

• Garth
                  Garth commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Bell also called the 5 Bells if I remember right played a lot in the early 60s New York. Florida area all the bigger clubs lot of pop stuff.

Polydors first big record two sisters and a one guy singer then just one sister and the guy.

Poldor was not allowed in the USA market so a Canadian Band was the first step

And for those of us growing up across the border, but addicted to Hockey Night in Canada, the legendary Roger Doucet:
                http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=20191
                Steve Lefkowicz
                Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
                -
                Analog: Linn LP12 (MOSE/Hercules II), Ittok, Dynavector 19a, iPhono2; Pro-Ject RPM-1 Carbon, Sumiko Pearl, iFi iPhono.
                Digital: Samsung 300E5C notebook, JRiver Media Center 26, Tidal HiFi and Qobuz Studio), iFi iDAC2, iFi iUSB3, iPurifier2.
                Electronics: Burson Conductor Virtuoso, DIY switch-box with TKD 10K pot, Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S, Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso, Jolida JD1000P, B&K ST140.
                Speakers: Tekton Double Impact, Tekton Lore, Magneplaner .7, ELAC Debut2 B6.2, Debut F5 and Debut B6, Emotiva Airmotiv B1, Sound Dynamics 300ti.
                Interconnects: Morrow Audio MA1, Vermouth Audio Black Pearl, Nordost Solar Wind, Audioquest Evergreen
                Speaker cables: Morrow Audio SP4, Vermouth Audio Red Velvet, Nordost Solar Wind, Nordost Flatline, Audioquest Q2.
                Digital cables: Straightwire USB Link, Aural Symphonics Digital Standard xxv USB, Belkin PureAV.
                Accessories: Sound Organization turntable shelf, Mondo racks, Pangea Audio Vulcan racks, Pi Audio Group Über BUSS, Monster HTS2000 power conditioner, Sound Organization speaker stands, Pangea Audio speaker stands, Kinetronics anti-static brush, Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaner, Spin Clean record cleaner.
                Headphones: Schiit Valhalla amp, Meze Audio 99 Classic and 99 Neo, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro, 1More Triple Driver Over Ear, 1More MK801, 1More Triple Driver IEM

http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

Garth - The two sisters I was jokingly referring to are Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart. They played a bit up in Vancouver and if I remember right were trying to work the system angling for a contract.

Comment

• Garth
                    Garth commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I got the joke and thanks to who ever sent them north of the border. By the way I came across a documentary on Netflixs Canada called Stay Awhile about the the other two Sisters in the Bells.

Garth - I worked for Polydor in Montreal between 1970-1974 and never heard about them not being able to enter the US market. Do you have any links as I'd love to read up about that.

Comment

• Garth
                    Garth commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It would have ended in 1970 the deal was no German Company could open in the USA for 25 years after WWII

Everyone's favorite Canadian pop star;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY_b..._bhVSGKEg#t=11
                  Tannoy Glenair, April Sound SET 50 monoblocks and LR phono, EMIA silver remote attenuator and Strain Gauge, Mono TT - AE 208 TT, Abis 1.2BCS arm Miyajima Premium BE, Stereo TT - Fairchild 750 Schroder Custom BA, Miyajima Kansui, Mac Mini w/ Roon, Bel Canto RefLink, Dac 3.5VB, Wadia 860x.

Comment

Working...
                  X