Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MFSL Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms (2x45rpm) / First listen didn't impress me much!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MFSL Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms (2x45rpm) / First listen didn't impress me much!

Before you take away my audiophile card, please read.

Before I start any review of a reissue and of which I also own another pressing, which in my case is usually an original (or close to) Canadian pressing, I listen to the original first. In this case I was already very familiar with the album, but I still ended up playing it twice. I then proceeded with the reissue.

I never listen critically with a first or second listen and instead just let it play. Many times, even though I'm not focused on the album completely, I can hear significant differences right away. These could be good or bad, but with Mofi reissues they've generally been positives ones. I didn't have that experience with BIA. In fact, I couldn't detect any difference whatsoever from the original pressing. Nothing said that this reissue was going to be vastly superior to my original copy. Kinda left me disappointed and I haven't cued it up for further listening, but I will. I need to return to this with a fresh outlook and a totally relaxed frame of mind.

In the next few days I'll sit down and give it my complete focus and attention. I hope to discover the magic that everyone says is there. We'll see!
    Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Last mofi that left me with that kind of feeling was Skynyrd's Street Survivors, but that was a silver label 33, not a 45.
    Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

sounding close to the original makes sense. Brother's was recorded/mastered in digital. Unless it's a re-master with changed eq settings, the reissues should sound very close to the original record, the actual pressing itself being the differentiator.
      Christian
      System Gear

Comment

Much deeper and stronger bottom end on the MoFi 45 RPM which makes sense becaus the LP is cut across 4 sides. If you tell me the song "The Man's Too Strong" sounds the same on your old 33 versions, it will say something about the bass capabilities of your system. Beyond the bass, I think all off the cuts on the MoFi 45 sound better and I have something close to an original pressing.
        Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Love the dynamic range of this This MoFi 45rpm reissue. Great musical bass. It was a nice original DDD if I recall. Generally impartial to digital to vinyl transfers but I like this album. Far cry from say "The Great Gatsby" abomination for example.
          Steve

Studer Enthusiast

Comment

Mark - This was just my initial casual listen and I made that clear. We'll see where it goes from here.
            Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

I haven't heard this reissue but I'm not really that surprised by your comment. Of all the labels doing rock and jazz reissues I find MoFi to be following up the rear of labels like ORG, Music Matters or Analogue Productions. When you listen to a MoFi reissue it sounds fine - good in fact...but when you compare it to an original pressing it pales. This is particularly noticeable with the Miles Davis catalogue. Listen to the MoFi Sketches Of Spain. Sounds real nice. Then listen to a 6-eye original. Game over in 30 seconds. Compare that to a reissue from ORG - which typically blasts the original out of the water. There is something about MoFi's process that I think holds them back sonically. The label has always been less than transparent (no pun intended) about the true source of their masters. I speculate they are not working from an original master.

In the case of Brothers In Arms, as Christian noted, its a digital recording/mastering. The vinyl cut will sound as good as the D/A MoFi uses. Perhaps that proprietary converter they tout is now long in the tooth or imparts its own sonic signature?

It doesn't mean that MoFi can't occasionally do a spectacular reissue but from my experience they are far and few between.

Just my experience...
              PROGRESSIVE SOUNDS FROM AROUND THE WORLD
              www.lasercd.com
              www.lasersedgegroup.com

Rockport Aquila, Boulder 2010, Boulder 2008, Boulder 2060, Transparent Audio Reference XL, Nordost Quantum QBase8, TW Acustic AC Anniversary, TW Acustic Raven 10.5 arm, Lyra Atlas, Bricasti M1 Special Edition, SRA Scuttle3 rack + various SRA/Symposium stands

Comment

• Johnny Vinyl
                Johnny Vinyl commented
                Editing a comment
                Two Mofi titles done at 33rpm come to mind as being ones who's sonics vastly improved upon the original on a first listen were:
                Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
                Alan Parsons - Tales of Mystery and Imagination.

I was hoping (I suppose) to find that with BIA. It didn't happen.

• don
                don commented
                Editing a comment
                I have only been happy with one MoFi reissue, "Ricky sings again" in mono, the others are pale to my originals and one "Rod Stewart Live" is so bad that I won't play it, I swear it sounds as if it was copied from a cassette and a bad cassette at that. I will not buy any more of their albums.

Is that after further listening Johnny?
              Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
                Before you take away my audiophile card, please read.

Before I start any review of a reissue and of which I also own another pressing, which in my case is usually an original (or close to) Canadian pressing, I listen to the original first. In this case I was already very familiar with the album, but I still ended up playing it twice. I then proceeded with the reissue.

I never listen critically with a first or second listen and instead just let it play. Many times, even though I'm not focused on the album completely, I can hear significant differences right away. These could be good or bad, but with Mofi reissues they've generally been positives ones. I didn't have that experience with BIA. In fact, I couldn't detect any difference whatsoever from the original pressing. Nothing said that this reissue was going to be vastly superior to my original copy. Kinda left me disappointed and I haven't cued it up for further listening, but I will. I need to return to this with a fresh outlook and a totally relaxed frame of mind.

In the next few days I'll sit down and give it my complete focus and attention. I hope to discover the magic that everyone says is there. We'll see!
                Hi John,

I'm sorry to hear you are disappointed with the MoFi 45 of Brothers In Arms. I don't doubt your observations.

When played here, the MoFi 45 of Brothers In Arms is head-and-shoulders above all of the versions (vinyl and digital) that have graced my system. It is addictively energetic and viscerally exciting across the entire frequency spectrum and the bass is extremely tight, really strong, and rhythmically on time.

I don't know what they did to this pressing (and I really don't care) but this MoFi 45 LP is a real joy to listen to here. I wouldn't hesitate to play the album for any visitor.

Dre

Every day is a good day to play analog.
                - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
                - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
                Every day is a good day for live music.

Comment

Thanks for starting this thread with your first experience, Johnny. I have one but haven't opened it yet. I like every track on this album.

I figured having a 45rpm version was more of a completist thing. You know, everytime you adopt a new format there are certain albums you buy again: LP, 8-Track, Cassette, CD, SACD, PCM DSD, MQA (heh)... hey, did we miss doing a 45 version of BIA? Yeah, that's the ticket ... should be good for at least a 3-4000 run.

Comment

When I played my 45 RPM copy recently, I liked it a lot. But I did not compare it to my other pressings (which also sound very good as I recall). The big problem I have at the moment, is that with the latest Transfiguration Proteus, every thing is sounding really-good...
                    Speakers/Amps: Genesis G2.2 Jr with Powered Servo-Sub Bass, Genesis GR1440 Mono Amps, 5,000 watts total power
                    Preamp: SMc Audio VRE-1C Preamp (fully balanced inputs and output)
                    Phono 1: VPI Signature 21 Belt-Drive Turntable with 10” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Windfeld Ti Phono Cartridge driving Lehmann Decade Phono Preamp
                    Phono 2: VPI HW-40 Direct-Drive Turntable with 12” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Anna Diamond Phono Cartridge driving Genesis Gold Phono Preamp
                    R2R Tape: Studer A810 with Bridge Console
                    Digital: Lumin Network Player with Lumin NAS
                    Cables: Genesis Advanced Technologies/Absolute Fidelity Interface Interconnects, Speaker, Phono and Power
                    Power: Audio-Ultra Power System, IsoTek Super Titan Passive Power Conditioning for Amplifiers
                    Accessories: Custom Acrylic Equipment Stands, Klaudio Ultrasonic RCM

Comment

Guest commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Is that with diamond cantilever?

• Joe Pittman
                      Joe Pittman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      No, just the current Proteus. I plan to get the Proteus D with diamond cantilever soon... But the Proteus took over 8 weeks to break in...

I played "Why Worry" and "Ride Across The River" this evening and enjoyed it very much on the MoFi 45 reissue of Brothers In Arms.

Dre
                    Every day is a good day to play analog.
                    - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
                    - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
                    Every day is a good day for live music.

Comment

Originally posted by Dre_J View Post
                      When played here, the MoFi 45 of Brothers In Arms is head-and-shoulders above all of the versions (vinyl and digital) that have graced my system. It is addictively energetic and viscerally exciting across the entire frequency spectrum and the bass is extremely tight, really strong, and rhythmically on time.

I don't know what they did to this pressing (and I really don't care) but this MoFi 45 LP is a real joy to listen to here. I wouldn't hesitate to play the album for any visitor.

Dre
                      Agree 100%. 👍

Source: Kuzma XL DC/4Point 14 inch/CAR60; Phono: Zanden 1200 Signature; Tuner: Magnum Dynalab MD-108T Signature; Line Stage: Zanden 3000 Mk2; Power amp: Lamm 1.2 Reference; Speakers: AlsyVox Botticelli; Grounding: Tripoint Troy Elite NG; Cable system: Cardas Clear Beyond; Stands: Finite Elemente Master Reference & Master Reference Heavy Duty; Power strip: Cardas Nautilus; Power filter: P.I Audo: BUSS Depot; Acoustics treatment: Svanå Miljöteknik AB (SMT);

Comment

I was never enamored of that album from inception- i really liked the previous album, with Telegraph Road, but neither the sound, nor the songs on BIA grabbed me. My personal taste I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Hart View Post
                          I was never enamored of that album from inception- i really liked the previous album, with Telegraph Road, but neither the sound, nor the songs on BIA grabbed me. My personal taste I suppose.
                          You might just change your mind if you hear the MoFi 45 version that is the subject of this thread. It's a whole new animal compared to the original release. Don't bother playing it on the ESL 57s though unless you want to blow them up. There is enough low end on this album to register on a seismograph.

Comment

• Bill Hart
                            Bill Hart commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Noted. On both counts.
                        Working...
                        X