Allan Holdsworth R.I.P.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allan Holdsworth R.I.P.

Allan Holdsworth passed away today. He was easily one of the most influential guitarists in rock history. You may not be familiar with his music but he re-conceptualized what is possible with the guitar. His influence in the rock, metal and fusion genres is profound.

Personally I was never a fan of his writing. I always thought of him as the ultimate sideman. His work with UK, Soft Machine, Tempest, and Bill Bruford helped shape a generation of guitarists.
    PROGRESSIVE SOUNDS FROM AROUND THE WORLD
    www.lasercd.com
    www.lasersedgegroup.com

Rockport Aquila, Boulder 2010, Boulder 2008, Boulder 2060, Transparent Audio Reference XL, Nordost Quantum QBase8, TW Acustic AC Anniversary, TW Acustic Raven 10.5 arm, Lyra Atlas, Bricasti M1 Special Edition, SRA Scuttle3 rack + various SRA/Symposium stands

I learned of him backwards-- didn't really follow fusion, but when I discovered Ollie Halsall, of Patto, and his marvelous touch tone technique (Halsall was also a vibraphonist), he was cited as a big influence on Holdsworth. I know he had some association with Gong, but it kind of ends there for me. What records do you regard as the best exemplification of his work, Ken?

Comment

The first UK album is one of the great prog albums of all time, Allan's playing is treacherous. Soft Machine "Bundles" is a classic. Good places to start. I'll come back with some more,
      www.lasercd.com
      www.lasersedgegroup.com

Rockport Aquila, Boulder 2010, Boulder 2008, Boulder 2060, Transparent Audio Reference XL, Nordost Quantum QBase8, TW Acustic AC Anniversary, TW Acustic Raven 10.5 arm, Lyra Atlas, Bricasti M1 Special Edition, SRA Scuttle3 rack + various SRA/Symposium stands

Comment

• Johnny Vinyl
        Johnny Vinyl commented
        Editing a comment
        I have the first UK album, but not Soft Machine "Bundles". Added to my want list.

Some other albums to explore:

Nucleus - Belladonna
      Tony Williams Lifetime - Believe It and Million Dollar Legs
      Pierre Merlen's Gong - Gazeuse! and Expresso II
      Jean-Luc Ponty - Enigmatic Ocean
      Bruford - Feels Good To Me and One Of A Kind

He was an amazing soloist and in my opinion not a great composer so I find his solo albums to be hit or miss. At one point he experimented with the Synthaxe and made some dreadfully unlistenable albums.

Some of the better solo albums include

Road Games (with Jack Bruce)
      Metal Fatigue
      www.lasercd.com
      www.lasersedgegroup.com

Comment

Great tips, Ken!
        I kinda ignored his solo albums because of the Synthaxe stuff, but I'll try the two you mentioned...

cheers,
        alex
        Disclosure:
        Alma Music and Audio - La Jolla, CA
        Aqua Hi-Fi - Audio Research - Audioquest - Audionet - Audiopax - Auralic - Aurender - Bergmann - Brodmann - D'Agostino - darTZeel - Devialet - DEQX - ELAC - Evolution Acoustics - Hegel - iFi - Innuos - IsoTek - Kii Audio - Koetsu - Kronos - Kubala Sosna - Kuzma - Larsen - Linn - MSB Technology - Music Hall - Ortofon - Solid Steel - Technics - Wharfedale - Wilson Audio - YG Acoustics
        [ http://almaaudio.com ]

Comment

Working...
        X