Greg Allman Dead at 69

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greg Allman Dead at 69

Such great music, another Rock Icon leaves us for greener pastures.

March 13, 1970 and myself and friends went to The Warehouse in New Orleans to see Albert King, opening was a no name band that we didn't know or care about. I went to the snack bar to get a hot dog and a cold drink and started talking to two guys in front of me. When i got my dogs they were at a stand up table and waved me over. I had a pint of Wild Turkey 101 in my coat and we all stood around drinking and hiding it from the security. We had a grand time and ended up just about finishing the bottle. They said they had to get moving and I rejoined my friends waiting for this unknown opening band to take the stage. Well to my surprise the two guys I was hanging out with were Greg and Duane Allman.

Here is a link to actual audio of the concert as I heard it in 1970, you will hear whay they became a favorite band in New Orleans.

http://www.blackstrat.net/warehouse/70-03-13.mp3
    Last edited by Greg Beron; 05-27-2017, 08:25 PM.

Awww geez, make it stop! One of my favorite all time groups. Only saw them once in concert-in 1973 at Watkins Glen-but the Allman Brothers music has been a fixture on my turntable for almost 50 years.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

What a loss. This one especially hurts.
      Christian
      System Gear

Comment

My Altman Brothers listening line up tonight.....

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Beron View Post
          Such great music, another Rock Icon leaves us for greener pastures.

March 13, 1970 and myself and friends went to The Warehouse to see Albert King, opening was a no name band that we didn't know or care about. I went to the snack bar to get a hot dog and a cold drink and started talking to two guys in front of me. When i got my dogs they were at a stand up table and waved me over. I had a pint of Wild Turkey 101 in my coat and we all stood around drinking and hiding it from the security. We had a grand time and ended up just about finishing the bottle. They said they had to get moving and I rejoined my friends waiting for this unknown opening band to take the stage. Well to my surprise the two guys I was hanging out with were Greg and Duane Allman.

Here is a link to actual audio of the concert as I heard it in 1970, you will hear whay they became a favorite band in New Orleans.

http://www.blackstrat.net/warehouse/70-03-13.mp3
          Wow! That's a great story Greg!
          Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

It just seems like we are losing too many great artists that we grew up with lately.
            Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

The end of an era.

Comment

Very bummed about this. I'm glad I was able to see Gregg play live when he was healthy - I really dig the Allmans. Played my tape of Idlewild South today in tribute. RIP, Gregg.
                TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
                VINYL: Denon DP59-L/Hana ML/ModWright PH 9.0; Pioneer PL-50LII/Dynavector 20xH
                DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, Marantz NA6006/Pioneer N-50, Schiit Bifrost
                SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9, Velodyne FSR-15
                AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

Working...
                X