Is There A Limit To...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is There A Limit To...

...the number of copies of an album that you will buy? Sure sometimes we buy several LPs to find the best pressing. But Chris/CPP brought up that he won't buy any more copies of albums he already owns regardless of format.

Would you buy multiple digital copies eg. Quad DSD and you already own the 1X DSD? Or PCM and DSD? Or RBCD and DSD? Would you buy the 45 rpm reissue of an album if you have a 33 rpm? Do you have the same title say in digital and LP? Or digital, LP and tape?

Classic Records might be the all time king of multiple LP formats. 33 rpm in 180 and 200 g. 33, 45 and 78 rpm stereo. Regular vinyl, Quiex, Clarity, etc. Double and single sided LPs. And that's not counting CD and DVD. Amazing they got audiophile's to buy in every time they had a new variation. Gotta hand it to Hobson. Rode the crest for a long time. Thanks in part to HP.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Chris dodged the OCD gene, he'd be considered abnormal in the world of music collecting this subject crosses my mind often and this isn't exactly what you're referring to but I do buy multiplies of the very same pressing when i come across them (esp if cheap). If it's a record I really love I make a point to seek out other pressings (1st press, promos, UK, other imports). Regarding the Classic Records conundrum we all know 45 rpm is technically superior but it doesn't always mean certain recordings fully realize its benefits. the other dilemma is deciding whether an 'upgrade' is even necessary, when x. y and z pressings are already quite good.

Comment

And when you find find the best sounding pressing, do you sell the other LPs or even the CD when you get the hi-Rez file?

-VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

• Rob
        Rob commented
        Editing a comment
        the intent is to someday rid myself of the unwanted copies but that day hasn't come...at the moment I have >500 dupes and triplicates stashed away

Back when vinyl was the only source, the 70s and 80s, US pressings typically sucked, they were warped and had crappy vinyl quality. You would swear that the vinyl was made from recycled plastic. So I got into the habit of buying imports, typically UK, German, Japanese,etc. anything but domestic. I have continued to seek out higher quality pressings to this day and along the journey acquired a taste for Promo's, Test Pressings, Limited Editions, Special Editions, Box Sets, Reissues, One-Step, ad infinitum. So I have many copies of the same title. OK, I have an addiction.
      Speakers/Amps: Genesis G2.2 Jr with Powered Servo-Sub Bass, Genesis GR1440 Mono Amps, 5,000 watts total power
      Preamp: SMc Audio VRE-1C Preamp (fully balanced inputs and output)
      Analog 1: VPI Signature 21 Belt-Drive Turntable w/ 10” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Windfeld Ti Phono Cartridge driving Lehmann Silver Cube Phono Preamp
      Analog 2: VPI HW-40 Direct-Drive Turntable w/ 12” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Anna Diamond Phono Cartridge driving Genesis Gold Phono Preamp
      Analog 3: Studer A810 R2R tape w/ Bridge Console. Using built-in tape preamp
      Digital: Lumin Network Player with Lumin NAS
      Cables: Genesis Advanced Technologies/Absolute Fidelity Interface Interconnects, Speaker, Phono and Power
      A/C Power: Extensive System Upgrades, Sub-panel w/hard-wired power cables, and IsoTek Super Titan Passive Power Conditioning for Amplifiers
      Accessories: Custom Acrylic Equipment Stands, Klaudio Ultrasonic RCM

Comment

While I will occasionally buy the Lp of a title I already have the commercial CD of, I don't buy the CD I already have the Lp of, I make one myself but its not that often I even want to do it. I'd rather listen to the original Lp when at home.
        Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mono) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

regarding selling excess CDs, I've never sold one. I've got 500 name classical CDs I'd like to sell but they just sit here.
          Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mono) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

• JCOConnell
            JCOConnell commented
            Editing a comment
            Note : Ive just posted them in the music for sale section of the forum

I have read that you cannot sell downloaded digital media.
          I have many terrace bits of it I guess I'll give it to someone
          I have bought many used sacd s. And yes of a fav album comes out I would by it. What has slowed me down is two one my health second tidal and mqa. The other night I just found out that elp has been mqa mastered on many of his titles great news. TULL was done well. Now what should be added to this new album is how to measure it's better. In mqa as I hear and love improvmets but others question just what it is that's better. Owning music is also pride of ownership. When Myles was kind enough to have me over. He had gleam in his eyes as he showed me items he owned. Ona whim I bought mike s dsd Recomend download he has. I plays it fast but not long enough to commnet yet. But owning has a pride of ownership to it too.
          analog stuff.
          otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
          otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
          sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
          new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
          thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
          thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
          kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
          phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
          speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
          mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
          digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
          Dacs lampi various

Comment

• Joe Pittman
            Joe Pittman commented
            Editing a comment
            I think collecting some LPs is like trophy hunting. Lots of satisfaction in the hunt, and when we find that elusive disc, we like to show it off.

• MylesBAstor
            MylesBAstor commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't know about others but there are records that took me 20 years to find. That's when Audio's Murphy Law rears it's ugly head. You've just plunked down a $100 for that long sought after album and then you find the LP somewhere else for $10. What's a person to do? Buy the other and average the prices out ($100 +$10/2 =$55). Not such a big hit then. And after all, record collecting is all about rationalizing prices!

Although I haven't really pursued much lately, I don't think there is a limit. The possible exception to that (in my case) is in acquiring some of the UHQR pressings or other rare audiophile pressings. I simply can't justify the price of purchase in those cases. Like Joe said, the hunt can be very satisfying.
          Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

Always subject to change, but currently I don't intend to buy additional digital copies period. I experimented with various resolutions and settled on 96/24, mostly to determine the resolution I record to. I buy additional pressings of Lps to compare labels, masterings, etc. I've not yet sampled enough to satisfy this obsession. I also agree that the hunt is part of the fun.

Comment

Buying additional copies of digital files and hoping for something better is like going to White Castle everyday and expecting filet mignon to show up between the small buns.
              Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Originally posted by mep View Post
                Buying additional copies of digital files and hoping for something better is like going to White Castle everyday and expecting filet mignon to show up between the small buns.
                You never heard a RBCD cream all comers including the vinyl? One comes to mind, Phil Collins' Face Value gold CD by Audio Fidelity is head and shoulders above the UK 1st press and my US press mastered by Doug Sax. undoubtedly there are many more examples.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post

You never heard a RBCD cream all comers including the vinyl? One comes to mind, Phil Collins' Face Value gold CD by Audio Fidelity is head and shoulders above the UK 1st press and my US press mastered by Doug Sax. undoubtedly there are many more examples.
                  Nope. 3 county fairs and 2 goat breedings and I have never heard a CD sourced from an analog tape sound better than an LP.
                  Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

• Joe Pittman
                    Joe Pittman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's funnier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest.

Hmmmm, let's see - for EVERY LED Zeppelin album I have:

Classic Records 200g LP
                  Japan CD
                  96/24 HD Tracks (from the recent re-masters)
                  original Atlantic/Ampex reel tapes (I-HotH)

but if if they came out on 15 ips reel from TP or AS, yeah, I would pay for those too

And there are plenty of other rock albums I have at least that many versions of.
                  TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
                  VINYL: Denon DP59-L/Hana ML/ModWright PH 9.0; Pioneer PL-50LII/Dynavector 20xH
                  DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, Marantz NA6006/Pioneer N-50, Schiit Bifrost
                  SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9, Velodyne FSR-15
                  AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

Originally posted by Skylab View Post
                    Hmmmm, let's see - for EVERY LED Zeppelin album I have:

Classic Records 200g LP
                    Japan CD
                    96/24 HD Tracks (from the recent re-masters)
                    original Atlantic/Ampex reel tapes (I-HotH)

but if if they came out on 15 ips reel from TP or AS, yeah, I would pay for those too

And there are plenty of other rock albums I have at least that many versions of.
                    Me too. For instance have four different labels/LPs in the case of Kurtz doing Carnival of the Animals on EMI.

For or some reason got all of the MMJ 45rpm and many of the 33 rpm as well. I don't know why except sometimes like notbhavingbtomgetbup,and change the side after 2 or 3 songs. Eapecially when just relaxing and playing the music.

And believe it or not actually have some recordings-take for instance Bill Evans' Portraits in Jazz the XRCD, the OJC, Chad's 45 rpm reissue and the tape. Or Cafe Blue on normal CD, XRCD, FIM, LP, reissued LP and tape. 😳Or take Waltz for Debby. XRCD, tape, original LP, OJC and 45 rpm.

I keep saying I'm going to go thin the herd, listen to albums and keep the best sounding version and sell the rest. Just never seems to happen. ButbI am running out of space, especially with tape taking up more and more shelf space.

Comment

I will buy additional copies when the copy I have is messed up from multiple moves across the country over 45 years, when the recording is exceedingly rare such as a regionally popular group or niche genre group or artist, and finally a few recordings I consider significant enough to merit spending the money for a sonically better copy.

In general without a higher end cartridge/arm/turntable/phono-amp combination the difference between CD and LP playback isn't as extreme as many may hear with the much higher priced rigs. When a cartridge alone costs more than my system and installed in a similarly system I would expect it to sound more obviously better.

Because my system is less than state of the art, I don't chase every known issue of a given performance. Instead I look for things I don't have for a new listening experience.

Comment

Working...
                      X