Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sure A Few People Here Have Heard of These Groups!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sure A Few People Here Have Heard of These Groups!

A memory test?

Kaleidoscope were renowned in the California folk scene for their integration of world music influences and their creative use of time signatures. Even Jimmy Page once claimed they were his "favorite band." Their first two albums, 1967's Side Trips and 1968's A Beacon to Mars, were well received, but 1969's Incredible Kaleidoscope is where they reached their peak. The band released one more album before splitting up, only to reconvene for 1977's When Scopes Collide, an album of mostly covers that Rolling Stone wrote "lacks the spiritual heart to pull it together." Kaleidoscope's David Lindley eventually became an in-demand session multi-instrumentalist, appearing on Leonard Cohen's Songs of Leonard Cohen and working with Bruce Springsteen and Crosby, Stills & Nash. What We Said Then: "When I first heard the Kaleidoscope they were on the same bill as the Youngbloods and Steve Miller. By pure musicianship and imagination they made the other two groups look sick… This album catches the 'Where have you been all my life' spirit… The music is marvelously earthy, exciting and alive… This is a good record by a truly excellent group." By Langdon Winner, July 26th, 1969
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

I remember the Youngbloods Elephant Mountain but none of the other ones.

david
    Manufacturer: American Sound Turntables and The Nothing Rack
    Distribution: NEODIO

Special Sales: van den Hul
    Industry Representation: Lamm, Kharma OLS Speakers, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformer, Venta Airwasher

Unique Items: Vintage Horn Speakers
    http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...stening-room-1
    http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...earfield-setup

Comment

Of course, David Lindley, Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger, Leon Russell. Jerry Lee and the Youngbloods. Those and Asylum Choir are the only ones I've heard of and that's my genre. Pretty obscure list.
      Thiel 7.2s, Manley NeoClassic 250s, Wadia 850, MIT Oracle V3 speaker cables, MIT MI-350 Oracle interconnects, Black Diamond Racing Shelves and Cones in a dedicated room with ASC Tube Traps, Room Tunes and 3 X 20 amp dedicated circuits.

Comment

I could only find one of those bands in my collection:

TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
        VINYL: Denon DP59-L/Hana ML/ModWright PH 9.0; Pioneer PL-50LII/Dynavector 20xH
        DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, Marantz NA6006/Pioneer N-50, Schiit Bifrost
        SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9, Velodyne FSR-15
        AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

Don't own any of them, although I'm familiar with some of the artists. As mkuller said...pretty obscure list.
          Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

I'm not sure Streetnoise and Elephant Mountain belong on that list. Neither are particularly obscure, and both rank with the best albums of the late '60's. Never heard of The Good Rats or Area Code 615, LOL.
            Tascam BR-20
            Technics 1506 with tape path upgrades, FM head and custom repro amp
            Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS
            Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS
            MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out)
            Pass Labs INT60
            Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s
            REL S3 (Kimber Kable connection)
            Daedalus/Wywires, Audioquest, Acoustic Zen, Sablon Audio cables
            Core Power Equi=Power 1800 Mk3
            Adona rack; Stillpoints and IsoPods, Tube Traps, GIK

Comment

Working...
            X