King Crimson - Chicago Theater 6/28/17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King Crimson - Chicago Theater 6/28/17

Big week for me - after being a huge King Crimson fan for over 35 years, I'm finally going to get to see Fripp and company live on Wednesday! Cannot wait. This touring lineup has been getting great reviews, and the setlist looks terrific, so should be great.

King Crimson is one of rock's more fascinating bands on many levels. The only constant in KC, and the only requirement for a band to BE King Crimson, is Robert Fripp. Their first album was in 1969, and while there have been breaks, there has more or less been King Crimson ever since that time. There are a healthy number of King Crimson fans, plenty of albums sold, and yet they have certainly never had a "hit". And how could they. I describe KC as "challenging" music, and for the most part, I think that fits. It's pretty complex and dense, even for by the standards of English progressive rock. For example, most Yes, ELP, Moody Blues, is all more accessible. And yet some very famous players along the way have been in Crimson (John Wetton, Greg Lake, Adrian Belew all "fronted" KC).

Personally, I LOVE most Crimson. It's almost the perfect music for me. And so seeing it live - I CANNOT WAIT! Will post a concert review after the show.
    TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
    VINYL: Denon DP59-L/Hana ML/ModWright PH 9.0; Pioneer PL-50LII/Dynavector 20xH
    DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, Marantz NA6006/Pioneer N-50, Schiit Bifrost
    SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9, Velodyne FSR-15
    AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

I'm seeing them in Red Bank, NJ on July 10.
    Analog: Holbo Turntable, VdH Crimson Strad XGW; Forsell Air Reference, Transfiguration Proteus; Rega RP-8, VAS Nova Mono
    Digital: Mac mini 6,2 with YFS PS-12M LPS; Exogal Comet Plus, Exogal Ion PowerDAC
    Electronics: Aurorasound Vida, Channel D Lino C; Merrill Cara, Gryphon M-100 Mkii (pair)
    Cables: Morrow, Gryphon interconnects; YFS USB cable; Morrow, XLO, Channel D phono cables; Morrow, Gryphon, Goertz speaker cables

Comment

East coast dates for Oct/Nov still to be announced. Don't miss them.
      PROGRESSIVE SOUNDS FROM AROUND THE WORLD
      www.lasercd.com
      www.lasersedgegroup.com

Rockport Aquila, Boulder 2010, Boulder 2008, Boulder 2060, Transparent Audio Reference XL, Nordost Quantum QBase8, TW Acustic AC Anniversary, TW Acustic Raven 10.5 arm, Lyra Atlas, Bricasti M1 Special Edition, SRA Scuttle3 rack + various SRA/Symposium stands

Comment

WOW I am envious, been a fan since day one!
        I wish they were coming anywhere near me!
        Take some pictures for us unlucky folks.

Comment

• lasercd
          lasercd commented
          Editing a comment
          There will be lots of shows in your area.

No pictures, no videos and no recordings allowed at a KC concert. These restrictions are strictly enforced.
        Analog: Holbo Turntable, VdH Crimson Strad XGW; Forsell Air Reference, Transfiguration Proteus; Rega RP-8, VAS Nova Mono
        Digital: Mac mini 6,2 with YFS PS-12M LPS; Exogal Comet Plus, Exogal Ion PowerDAC
        Electronics: Aurorasound Vida, Channel D Lino C; Merrill Cara, Gryphon M-100 Mkii (pair)
        Cables: Morrow, Gryphon interconnects; YFS USB cable; Morrow, XLO, Channel D phono cables; Morrow, Gryphon, Goertz speaker cables

Comment

So last night's King Crimson show at the Chicago Theater - what can I say, other than I thought it was absolutely fantastic. I came in with fairly lofty expectations, which Fripp and company managed to handily exceed. This incarnation of King Crimson is talented, powerful, and cohesive.

Fripp played some just epic guitar solos, but his subtle playing in many songs is what makes him such an amazing talent, IMO. Mel Collins was superb playing wind instruments of all sorts. Tony Levin - he is just a monster on bass and stick.

All three of the drummers were good, but Gavin Harrison did stand out to me as being especially so. The three drummers were up front on stage and I was initially a little worried about that, but they didn't overpower the other five.

And the real surprise of the night for me was Jakko Jakszyk. I hadn't loved what I had heard in terms of his vocals on live recordings from him from a few years ago - but I thought his vocals were terrific. Not just good enough, but highly enjoyable and actually an enhancement to the overall performance. He is a talented guitar player as well.

Set list below. Highlights...well that's tough because the whole show was so good. But if pressed...Cirkus, Fallen Angel, Islands, The a Letters, and Starless. Just a great, great show, and so glad I was finally able to see them.

King Crimson - Chicago Theater, June 28, 2017

Set 1:

Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part One
          Neurotica
          Radical Action III
          Cirkus
          Lizard (part '(c) The Battle of Glass Tears' only)
          Fallen Angel
          Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part Two
          Islands

Set 2:

Pictures of a City
          Indiscipline
          The ConstruKction of Light
          Easy Money
          The Letters
          Interlude
          Meltdown
          Radical Action II
          Level Five
          Starless

Encore:

Heroes (David Bowie cover)
          21st Century Schizoid Man
          TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909

Comment

Originally posted by jonathanb View Post
            No pictures, no videos and no recordings allowed at a KC concert. These restrictions are strictly enforced.
            Someone has managed to record the show. On another board someone mentioned there was a very good recording from LA.
            Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Miyajima Zero; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Studer A812; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Pacific

Comment

• rbbert
              rbbert commented
              Editing a comment
              Someone?

Just because one can record, doesn't mean one should.

Sadly, it's way too easy to surreptitiously record a gig with current digital technology so people are more emboldened to bootleg even when an artist like Fripp explicitly requests that they don't.

(For what it's worth, I studied with Fripp in his now-defunct Guitar Craft seminars and hosted him in my house during his performances at the WFC in 2000.)
            Last edited by jonathanb; 06-29-2017, 04:09 PM.

Comment

• rbbert
              rbbert commented
              Editing a comment
              When Fripp was officially releasing all or most of KC's concerts, there was less incentive to record. I very much doubt anyone is paying for these audience recordings, and typically only enthusastic fans "trade" for them

King Crimson's In the Court of the Crimson King is one of my favorite all time albums; I think it's a masterpiece. Weirdly, I have never heard any others from the band.
            Magico M-Project, CAT JL7SE, CH Precision L1/X1/P1, Kronos Pro Limited Edition/SME 3012R/Atlas SL/Opus-1, Schiit Yggdrasil, ZenWave D4 ICs & SCs

Comment

• Skylab
              Skylab commented
              Editing a comment
              Well you should fix that man! At a bare minimum you should get Lark's Tongues in Aspic and Red.

Originally posted by Madfloyd View Post
            King Crimson's In the Court of the Crimson King is one of my favorite all time albums; I think it's a masterpiece. Weirdly, I have never heard any others from the band.
            Same for me Ian.
            Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

• JCOConnell
              JCOConnell commented
              Editing a comment
              You guys need to investigate the KC catalog from the 70's

My desert island King Crimson discs:
            In the Court of the Crimson King ('69)
            Larks Tongue In Aspic ('73)
            Red ('74)
            Discipline ('81)
            Thrak ('95)

Comment

• JCOConnell
              JCOConnell commented
              Editing a comment
              Wake of the Poseidon ('70) is pretty good too. As is Starless and Bible Black (70's).

In the Wake of Poseidon was an attempt to recapture the magic of ITCOTKC. It has some pretty good moments but pales in comparison to the first album. Starless and Bible Black is--as you said--pretty good but doesn't quite measure up to either Red or LTIA. Both albums are best recommended for KC completists.

If one has not heard Discipline or Thrak, one should. Both are superb albums with very different takes on what KC might sound like.

Comment

I never warmed to Thrak, but I love the early 80's Belew-era KC albums. I agree Discipline is the standout, but Beat and Three of a Perfect Pair are also excellent. I actually listen to TOAPP more often these days because I played Discipline so much in high school that I have to be careful even now 35+ years later not to overplay it

Comment

of the '70's records, I somehow managed to acquire most of them on half speed mastered editions ed pressings.
                Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mono) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

I just need to get Lizard on LP

Comment

Working...
                  X