Along with the cuts from the albums?
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Count Basie & His Orchestra - Me And You (Pablo Records). Track: Moten Swing

I love playing this and watching unsuspecting listeners jump 10 feet in the air. Scares the living shit out of them.
    PROGRESSIVE SOUNDS FROM AROUND THE WORLD
    www.lasercd.com
    www.lasersedgegroup.com

Rockport Aquila, Boulder 2010, Boulder 2008, Boulder 2060, Transparent Audio Reference XL, Nordost Quantum QBase8, TW Acustic AC Anniversary, TW Acustic Raven 10.5 arm, Lyra Atlas, Bricasti M1 Special Edition, SRA Scuttle3 rack + various SRA/Symposium stands

Comment

• 1morerecord2clean
      1morerecord2clean commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll attest to that!

• garylkoh
      garylkoh commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha. Yes! I do it all too often to unsuspecting visitors.

Joni Mitchell has a dynamic sounding voice & would be good to test midrange dynamics. Tchaikovski's 1812 overture on 180gm vinyl or Ultra HDCD would be a good general recording to test dynamics. Also not vinyl as such, but I use Isotek's Ultimate System Setup cd for initial system setup which includes frequency range tests and audiophile test tracks. Not sure if that is on lp though.

Comment

Harry Connick Jr's "Just Kiss Me" track on his Blue Light Red Light album.

Comment

Analog Tape... Tape Project Arnold Overtures; Analogue Productions Hugh Masekela (Coal Train, of course). Waiting for AP Power of the Orchestra

LP... For Duke

SACD... Chesky; Area 31

Charles

Comment

"No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
          --------------------------------------------
          Source: MSB Select II DAC with
          Two Mono Powerbases, Femto 33 Clock,
          Renderer V2 and Roon Nucleus Plus
          Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps
          Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
          Power: AudioQuest Niagara 7000

Comment

• Audioraven
            Audioraven commented
            Editing a comment
            Track 1, Fanfare For The Common Man! The opening Gong shot will make you jump.

These are some of the recordings I mentioned a few years ago. To save time I'll cut and paste what I had writtin back then:

Below I’m going to list a few LPs that are very good and very dynamic. They tend to playback well on a variety of systems. However, they are really shown most impressively on full range systems that have incredibly good dynamics AND can truly show orchestral or large band heft and weight as well as horn dynamics and string tone without losing composure. Additionally some of these LPs cast a very wide and deep soundstage. They tend to show a total package of system performance in terms of the flex and nuance.

These LP listed below are usually what I will use as “sendoff” LPs. Depending on the music tastes of the visitor, I usually pick at least one of these LPs to play when I want to uncork the system and let it breath unencumbered at high SPLs.

Here are my sendoff lists of LPs that I will usually play, at least one of these, at uncorked high SPL levels:

Berlioz – Symphonie Fantastique (Kojian conducting the Utah Symphony) - Reference Recording 45rpm double LP

Ravel – La Valse (Carlo Rizzi conducting the Netherlands Philharmonic Orchestra) – Tacet, 33rpm

Rossini – Italiania in Algeri, sinfonia (Myung - Whun Chung conducting the Orchestra dell’Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia) Fone’ Records, direct to disc, 45rpm

The O-zone percussion Group – The Percussion Record – (start with Track 1 on Side A…) Klavier Records / Clearaudio, 33rpm

Added bonus:

Pink Floyd – The Wall – (First record, all of Side 1…) Columbia Records, 33rpm

Those are the current sendoff listed LPs, for new or infrequent visitors, that have big dynamics and get played at high SPLs.

I’ll list some more during session LPs, that I tend to like for different reasons, a little later.

Comments are welcome,

Dre
          And for some in-session listening, I'll paste these:
          Here are a few more in-session records that sometimes get worked into the mix based on my visitors music tastes.

Coryell-Khan – Two for the Road – Arista 33 RPM
          Andreas Vollenweilder – White Winds – FM/CBS 33 RPM
          The Dan Barrett Octet – Strictly Instrumental – Concord 33 RPM
          Paul Simon – Hearts And Bones – Warner Bros. 33 RPM
          Leonard Cohen - Songs From The Road – Columbia 33 RPM double LP
          Alison Krauss - Forget About It – Rounder 33 RPM
          Dead Can Dance – Into the Labyrinth – Mobile Fidelity Silver Label 33 RPM Double LP
          Sara k. – Water Falls – Stockfisch 33 RPM DMM double LP
          David Roth – Pearl Diver – Stockfisch 33 RPM DMM
          Exotic Dances From The Opera – Eiji Oue conducting the Minnesota Orchestra - Reference Recordings 33 RPM
          Rachmaninoff – Symphonic Dances - Eiji Oue conducting the Minnesota Orchestra - Reference Recordings 33 RPM

Dre
          Those were some of the LPs from the past that I would ocationally use.

Dre
          Every day is a good day to play analog.
          - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
          - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
          Every day is a good day for live music.
          Every day is a good day to listen to music.
          Industry Affiliation:
          Contributing Writer, The Absolute Sound

Comment

• Bill Hart
            Bill Hart commented
            Editing a comment
            Interesting on the Symphonic Dances that you don't list the Johanas/Dallas Symphony- i have the old Athena, and the newer one- a Chad or Org? It has some pretty good swings in loudness.
            I think people dug that Malcolm Arnold record for the drum thwack. The Lyrita records are an acquired taste.
            Man, I haven't listened to Vollenweilder since the 'spa' people took him over. I should still have my old copies.

• Dre_J
            Dre_J commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Bill, I have the Athena and the one of the Turnabout pressings of (Rachmaninoff, Dallas Symphony Orchestra, Donald Johanos ‎– Symphonic Dances / Vocalise). I don't like the performance. It sounds like they are playing with 1/4 or 1/3 of an orchestra. It is also pretty dry sounding to me. I'm sure it's a personal preference thing but the RR version plays much bigger and fuller - and is more entertaining to me as a whole.

I know, sometimes I run against the great audiophile wind from the north.

Yes, the Berlioz is all about the drums and the bell on side 3 or 4 of the 2-album 45.

The Vollenweilder – White Winds is still pretty good sounding. every now and then it will get pulled out. it had been a few years and a friend wanted to hear it a few months ago. we pulled it out and it still sounds good.

• Bill Hart
            Bill Hart commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey, Dre, running against the current is good. I'll have to see if I have that RR- I had some of the old ones, and one collection I bought had a lot more, so I can probably check it out if it is one of the 'old' RR releases.

Classics reissue of Tchaikovsky's Cappriccio Italien. Only one movement but pretty dramatic sounding.
          Turntable: TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Ortofon Windfeld-Ti Cartridge, Harmonix-Combak platter mat & weight; PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamp; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner.
          Digital: Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer
          Amplification: PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamp, VTL 6.5 preamp Series II, Pass Labs 150.8 Amp
          Loudspeakers: Piega C711 Loudspeakers
          Isolation: Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls
          Misc: PS Audio Noise Harvesters, Acoustic Revive RR-888 Low Frequency Pulse Generator, Synergistic Research 12 UEF SE Line Conditioner, Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cords, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates, Synergistic Research Orange Outlet, Furutech NCF Booster Braces, Audio Art Ref IC, synergistic Research Atmosphere X Euphoria Level 3 Balanced ICs, Synergistic Research Euphoria Level 3 Speaker Cables, Synergistic Research Cable Risers.

Sennheiser HDV 650 Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD800s Headphones.

Comment

Tricky question without defining "Dynamics" and what you're testing. Is it the ability to play loud, i.e. live volumes without compression or distortion? Tonal depth & range? Frequency response? Scale, coherence, pace? Speed? For me is all of it!

I don't really have a test list, any good piano or cello recording at live or near live volumes would tell most of everything I need followed by a soprano and something bassy to reaffirm some parameters. Of course it's fun to play live jazz like Miles live in Tokyo in analog or Rodrigo y Gabriela Live in Tokyo for digital and there are many many more, at live levels and see what happens .

david
            Manufacturer: American Sound Turntables and The Nothing Rack
            Distribution: NEODIO

Special Sales: van den Hul
            Industry Representation: Lamm, Kharma OLS Speakers, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformer, Venta Airwasher

Unique Items: Vintage Horn Speakers
            http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...stening-room-1
            http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...earfield-setup

Comment

Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
              Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
              -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
              -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
              -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
              -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
              -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
              -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
              -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
              -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
              -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Well, there's always the prelude from "Thus Sprach Zarathustra" for testing bite and blast abilities of your speakers. Mine is the K2HD disc produced from the Decca LP, and performed by the L.A. Philharmonic/Zubin Mehta.

Comment

Speakers, Wilson Audio Sasha 2's; line stage, ARC Ref 6; phono pre ARC Ref 3; Amplifier, ARC Ref 75 SE; turntable, Dr. Feickert Firebird with a Kuzma 14 inch 4 pt and Transfiguration Proteus; CD player Ayre C 5 xe; tuner, Magnum Dynalab MD109 SE; Dr. Feickert Analogue CBPS; Double Matrix Professional Sonic RCM; Transparent Audio Isolator 8; Transparent Super cables and IC's; and a Atocha Designs Record Cabinet

Comment

Working...
                  X