Recommend me some Soprano and Opera vocal classics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend me some Soprano and Opera vocal classics

I am a complete novice in the Opera and Soprano vocal genre. I am particular drawn to wonderful female vocals, but have no idea where to start. There is some opera that turns me off, but when done to my personal taste, it is the most magical sound on earth. One such example is "Duettino Sull'aria Le nozze di Figaro" of which I love. Another is example is Nulla In Mundo Pax Sincera. I'll leave the link below. Please leave more recommendations (could be vinyl or cd). No wrong answers. Thanks

Nulla In Mundo Pax Sincera

Comment

• astrotoy
      astrotoy commented
      Editing a comment
      Emma Kirkby is wonderful. That's not her picture, however.

• Analog21
      Analog21 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea, I have no idea what this youtube poster was thinking... posting an attractive woman with Emma Kirkby singing Vivaldi

I truly love the Duettino Sull'aria Le nozze di Figaro. Try Kira Te Kanawa and Lucia Pop. With Solti and the London Philharmonic. London 417 395-2 Gorgeous. There may be other releases of this same performance.

Let's mix that one with yours and we get Lucia Pop and Gundala Janowitz:

Pop is amazing. Alas, she died so young.

A classic from Puccini (a gift who keeps on giving) is Un Bel Di from Madame Butterfly. Try Renee Fleming with Mackerras and again the London Philharmonic.

An obscure favorite of mine is Caro Mio Ben written by Giuseppe Giordani. An Italian baroque aria featuring a piano and a soprano. You can find it in a scene cut from Amadeus where a young singer (Michelle Esposito) gets her big chance to audition before court composer Salieri. It's on the 2-disc soundtrack from 1984, Fantasy 3FCD-4403-2

Comment

• Analog21
      Analog21 commented
      Editing a comment
      Excellent recommendations. Complete forgot about Renee Fleming and the Amadeus Soundtrack. I initially heard the ones I listed from Shawshank Redemption and the Shine Soundtrack. I guess goes to show you how important cinema is to also expose viewers to great music

The (bluray) DVD of Anna Netrebko in the Salzburg La Traviata. Wonderful singing and beautiful production. Larry
    Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,Lyra Skala+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Otari MX5050B2,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
    Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiHorizon, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
    Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
    Music-1800R2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Working...
    X