Milt Ward and Virgo Spectrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milt Ward and Virgo Spectrum

I was taken by this album, a well-known obscurity that is fairly rare and pretty offbeat. Very little was known about Milt Ward at the time I first published this review last month. I was able to speak with Bill Pierce, who first met Milt Ward at Berklee in the late '60s, where they played together (Ward was the horn section leader for Stevie Wonder's touring band for a while). The updated review includes Bill Pierce's recollections of Ward and the album. Pierce eventually became the Chair of the Woodwinds Department at Berklee and retired a couple years ago. https://thevinylpress.com/milt-ward-...obscure-grail/ Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0602.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	690.8 KB
ID:	125049

thanks Bill. I love the groove on these records and others of the same genre... the vinyl is scare too boot. Cecil's bass work is sublime on Mr Cheese:

Simon Yorke + Zyx + B.M.C .> Soulution > Boulder > Magico

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

Simon Yorke + Zyx + B.M.C .> Soulution > Boulder > Magico

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
        thanks Bill. I love the groove on these records and others of the same genre... the vinyl is scare too boot. Cecil's bass work is sublime on Mr Cheese:

Rob - Iz good, Ward obviously liked the sound of big horn sections and used them in this more avant-garde mode. Try to find "The Foreign[e]r" from the album- shouldn't be too hard. They almost sound out of tune at first and then really get going. I have come to treasure Cecil McBee's work- he is on so many great albums from the era.

Comment

Working...
        X