This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rockitman View Post
    Click image for larger version Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	89.8 KB ID:	41674Click image for larger version Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	231.3 KB ID:	41675Click image for larger version Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	253.8 KB ID:	41676 What's the difference between this version (posted by Myles) and this version I found in my collection ? Mine has a semi-circle HMV and a sticker EMI/Angel specially imported British pressing...
    Sidebar: Just put a nice fingernail scratch on side one after the record slipped in my hand that sounds for 7 mins...F-Me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It's a great sounding record.
    Christian,

The pressing you have is the second label of that record - Myles' is the first label. That 2 record set was a TAS Super Disc also. Great sonics as you say. When EMI started importing British pressings, they had to disguise the little nipper, since it was an RCA trademark in the US. So they first put Odeon stickers on the jackets and labels. Later on, they just put little stickers (EMI Angel) on the jackets (as yours has) and on the record labels - which were like Myles' records - the so called postage stamp labels. By the time they switched to the later large dog label, the one you have, it looks like they stopped covering up the little dog. I have several records which have the EMI Angel sticker on the outside and on the postage stamp label. I don' t have any of the later labels that have a sticker, but I don't think any of those were US imports.

EMI ASD had 6 different labels through their stereo analogue years. In chronological order they were white/gold (EW1), early big dog (ER1), coloured postage stamp without white ring around the label (ER2), b/w postage stamp with white ring (ER3), coloured postage stamp with white ring (ER4) (the one that Myles shows) and later big dog (ER5) (the one you show). There were also a couple of labels that they used for their Melodyia (USSR) releases on the ASD label. The primary confusion is between ER2 and ER4 which look identical except for the white ring. Also some of their most popular albums were repressed over the years and you can find them with all sorts of labels, depending on when the repressing occurred. One of those is the famous ASD655 with Jacqueline duPre playing the Elgar Cello Concerto. It was first issued with the ER1 label, but I have seen copies with ER2, ER3 and ER5 labels also.

Larry
    Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
    Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
    Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
    Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Man...EMI and all the particulars is hard to keep straight. Thanks again for all the detail(s) Larry.
      Christian
      System Gear

Comment

Have to check but think there's at least one other early label plus the TWOX series labels.
        HMV Records is one of the most well known classical record labels in the world. HMV Classical Records is home to some of the world's most famous classical music artists such as: Fischer, Kempe, Cluytens. Famous series are the ASD series.
        Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
        -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
        -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
        -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
        -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
        -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
        -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
        -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
        -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
        -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
          Have to check but think there's at least one other early label plus the TWOX series labels.
          Nice to have pictures. Thanks, Myles.The section on EMI ASD labels shows the pictures of the six labels I mention. It doesn't show the Melodyia/EMi labels. Each of the different series of EMI has a distinct set of labels. Off the top of my head there are the Columbia SAX, Columbia SCX, EMI SXLP, EMI TWOX, EMI ESD, EMI CSD, EMI Angel SAN. Each one has several variations of labels depending on when the records were pressed. Peter Furop of Mikrokosmos did a labelography with little photos of each kind of varient. Most dealers use his cataloging system. That is what I used in my post. Sort of like collecting stamps. http://www.mikrokosmos.com/labelography.asp

It helps distinguish more precisely what you are buying. Some dealers just say postage stamp nipper, which could be a quite early or quite late pressing, depending on whether it is a ER2 or ER4, for example. Very true for Deccas - when a dealer just says wide band, without more detail.

If you want really detailed stuff, a fellow in Greece, Lucas Stephanides wrote a 350 page book on EMI labels. "Original Classical LP Labels and Pressings from the 1950's to the 1980's. Volume One The EMI Years. http://www.anakrousis.gr/895C2D5A.en.aspx
          I don't see it on Amazon. I ordered it from him directly. Less than $100, but more than $50, IIRC.

Larry
          Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
          Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,

Comment

Here's some more labelography information on the EMIs.
            This post has several purposes.  The first is to catalog the various emi pressings for the various sub-labels including SAX, SCX, SBO, PSAX,...

-VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
            -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
            -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
            -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

And SAXs, CSDs, etc.
              Well last time we made it through the major reissues labels and the ASD series.  Now we start off with the other pillar of EMI's golden age,...

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	421.1 KB
ID:	43092 Latest ASD arrival.....288, On the docket tonight. I hope the recording is good.
                Christian
                System Gear

Comment

• JCOConnell
                  JCOConnell commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I don't know about the recording, but I simply love that kind of music

• rockitman
                  rockitman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  After hearing it I can confirm it sounds great and with RIAA EQ too.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	417.6 KB ID:	45412 ASD 493 - WHITE/GOLD* SCHURICHT* BRUCKNER SYMPHONY NO.9* VIENNA PHILHARMONIC available. This is my copy I returned to the seller. I won it at auction for $1,850.00. Way too much for me....I got carried away. In any event, Side A plays perfect NM. Side B has a light tic that is intermittent for few minutes depending on the volume of the orchestra. It also has a light sweep sound that persists for the entire B side only noticed when the music is very quiet. That was the main reason I returned the record. Buy Now - $1,351.00
                http://www.ebay.com/itm/292043113187?ul_noapp=true
                Last edited by rockitman; 03-03-2017, 01:34 PM.
                Christian
                System Gear

Comment

Originally posted by rockitman View Post
                  Click image for larger version Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	417.6 KB ID:	45412 ASD 493 - WHITE/GOLD* SCHURICHT* BRUCKNER SYMPHONY NO.9* VIENNA PHILHARMONIC available. This is my copy I returned to the seller. I won it at auction for $1,850.00. Way too much for me....I got carried away. In any event, Side A plays perfect NM. Side B has a light tic that is intermittent for few minutes depending on the volume of the orchestra. It also has a light sweep sound that persists for the entire B side only noticed when the music is very quiet. That was the main reason I returned the record. Buy Now - $1,351.00
                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/292043113187?ul_noapp=true
                  Christian, ASD493 is one of the holy grails of the early EMI catalogue. Interestingly, Schuricht's other Bruckner Symphony recordings (ASD602-3 Sym8 and ASD2284 Sym3) have also reach stratospheric prices. Testament has done nice reissues of ASD493 and ASD2284. I was very lucky in finding my copy of ASD493 at a super bargain price.

Larry

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	245.5 KB ID:	51591Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	343.0 KB ID:	51592Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	391.7 KB ID:	51593Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	80.2 KB ID:	51594
                    Is there any sound quality difference between the standard HMV ALP 1856 vs. Odeon "Black Label" ALP 1856 ? I know Odeon was used for US distribution. I dream about the stereo version but at over $3k at auction most times...it's not going to happen. The mono will have to do.
                    Christian
                    System Gear

Comment

• astrotoy
                      astrotoy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      No, I have the Testament reissue and a Japanese box with 10 DeVito albums, both mono and stereo - including this one in stereo.

Larry

• JCOConnell
                      JCOConnell commented
                      Editing a comment
                      If the stereo original goes for $3K, even a stereo reissue must have significant value, no?

• astrotoy
                      astrotoy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I just checked my database and the reissue of the De Vito EMI ASD 429 was by Alto, not Testament. On Discogs it is selling for about $100 or a bit more - there is a cheaper copy but only vg+ condition. The box EMI EAC 77350 Japan which has 11 records (all mono, except for the reissue of ASD429) sells for around $300 used.

BTW, De Vito retired from playing in 1961, near the beginning of the stereo era. She was only 54, and apparently never played violin again. She had married David Bicknell, who was a major producer for EMI and a rival to the famous (infamous) Walter Legge. Bicknell's recordings were on the EMI ASD series, while Legge's were on the EMI Columbia SAX series.

Larry

My comment to JC was put under the wrong comment...as Larry mentions...not a lot of recordings of her.

^^^Perhaps. Based on what this record commands...it's rare as hens teeth. I tried in two prior auctions for the mono version recently. Both went in excess of $400.00. I just got this Odeon copy for $225 in NM stated condition...no marks according to the seller. Also the record was in the US and has a 30 day return policy. I can't wait to hear it. Gioconda De Vito had a very short career and gave up playing the violin all together. I guess her repertoire was somewhat short...most Bach, Brahms and Beethoven.
                    Christian
                    System Gear

Comment

My top 15 EMI's (originals), two are ED2 (Magic Notes)Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	637.9 KB ID:	67591
                      Christian
                      System Gear

Comment

I love threads like this that really go deep into the forest.

Question re Odeon for
                        astrotoyMylesBAstor I have some that aren't stickers- to the best of my recollection (i'll have to look) the jacket is printed as Odeon (as is the label itself). Assume these are still made for US export?
                        ​​​​​​​
                        rockitman - I see you have several Starkers- I found some early copies on Period Records of Starker, including a great performance of the Kodaly for Unaccompanied Cello- brilliant performance. He played with virtually no vibrato- I was told that vibrato was often used to cover slightly off note changes, but Starker was so dead on he never needed to use it for that reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Hart View Post
                          I love threads like this that really go deep into the forest.

Question re Odeon for
                          astrotoyMylesBAstor I have some that aren't stickers- to the best of my recollection (i'll have to look) the jacket is printed as Odeon (as is the label itself). Assume these are still made for US export?
                          ​​​​​​​
                          rockitman - I see you have several Starkers- I found some early copies on Period Records of Starker, including a great performance of the Kodaly for Unaccompanied Cello- brilliant performance. He played with virtually no vibrato- I was told that vibrato was often used to cover slightly off note changes, but Starker was so dead on he never needed to use it for that reason.
                          I have a fair number of albums that have the black Odeon labels on the records, not just little stickers covering the "little nipper" on the label. They were also meant for export. Tend to be the early ones. I didn't do it, but one of the labels is partly removed, and there is a white-gold EW1 EMI label beneath the Odeon. Of course, without removing the label, or at least part of it, you can't be sure if it is really a white-gold (the earliest and most valuable pressing) or a second red (ER1) label.

For a long time, the black Odeon label records were pretty cheap (at Amoeba Records in SF and Berkeley for example), much cheaper than their identical white-gold early ASD counterparts. They also had slightly different record numbers - PASD instead of ASD IIRC.

BTW, I don't have any, but have been told that the early Starker Period records are really fine performances.

Larry

Comment

About Decca UK EMI Matrix and Mother Stampers On this page we will explain how to decode the stampers on a UK early Decca vinyl.,Typically an original 1964

Comment

Working...
                            X