This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rockitman View Post
    Thanks Rob. I put EMI on my eBay search list....available classical record titles seem endless. Rack space is becoming an issue...lol
    Kenneth Wilkinson was responsible for a good percentage of the very best sounding DECCAS (incl the Respighi you liked so much). I use Discogs search utilities to find LPs that credits KW and have found a ton of other great sounding records this way. I cant speak to the performances other than the SQ which is top notch.

https://www.discogs.com/RespighiClev...elease/7597190
    Simon Yorke + Zyx + B.M.C .> Soulution > Boulder > Magico

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

• Madfloyd
      Madfloyd commented
      Editing a comment
      I didn't know you could do those types of searches on discogs - I'll have to try that! Thanks!

Click image for larger version  Name:	right of spring.jpg Views:	1 Size:	19.1 KB ID:	38464
    Click image for larger version  Name:	deccas-l1000.jpg .jpg Views:	1 Size:	124.7 KB ID:	38460
    Click image for larger version  Name:	bc386f3d3abb3f19c4f075463abbcbd2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	133.7 KB ID:	38461
    Click image for larger version  Name:	sxl2011_1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	54.9 KB ID:	38462
    Click image for larger version  Name:	SXL6035-2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	48.3 KB ID:	38465
    Click image for larger version  Name:	SXL2060-1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	92.1 KB ID:	38463

Click image for larger version

Name:	381486416078.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	38474

So here are some of the rarer, more desirable Decca titles, eg. expensive. I've seen some allegedly mint ED1 copies go for over $700.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• Madfloyd
      Madfloyd commented
      Editing a comment
      I get excited just seeing those covers! Such great music and recordings!

Decca operas are also (if you like the genre) some of the best and Wagner's Ring Cycle, the most famous. Click image for larger version  Name:	115409269.jpg Views:	1 Size:	176.7 KB ID:	38468
    Click image for larger version  Name:	aida.jpg Views:	1 Size:	23.0 KB ID:	38467
    Click image for larger version  Name:	turandot.jpg Views:	1 Size:	514.1 KB ID:	38484

Name:	boheme.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	658.5 KB
ID:	38485

-VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_5658.jpg Views:	1 Size:	32.6 KB ID:	38470
      Click image for larger version  Name:	thRQVRFKTM.jpg Views:	1 Size:	12.2 KB ID:	38471

Name:	R-3274088-1429282570-3196.jpeg.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	38475Click image for larger version  Name:	51NVT+-wBQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg Views:	1 Size:	24.5 KB ID:	38472
      Click image for larger version  Name:	115116942.jpg Views:	1 Size:	315.4 KB ID:	38473

I love the Benjamin Britten recordings enormously. Try and find the wallet version of Peter Grimes (I'm not sure how many releases were done in the wallet edition). But it's the extra deluxe packaging!

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_5664.jpg Views:	1 Size:	28.3 KB ID:	38477
        Click image for larger version  Name:	image_5666.jpg Views:	1 Size:	452.7 KB ID:	38479
        Click image for larger version  Name:	image_5665.jpg Views:	1 Size:	146.7 KB ID:	38478
        Click image for larger version  Name:	retablo.jpg Views:	1 Size:	428.0 KB ID:	38480

Argentas are variable in sound, many were actually recorded in Spain but the music is wonderful. Oh and rare and pricey. Sure much of the rarity = popularity and probably many of these didn't have big runs. Argenta championed Spanish music and died way too young. The Halffter and Falla's Master Peter's Puppet Show are two of my favorites. Not sure if they were all co-released on Decca and London.

Comment

And just some of my favorites. This opera isn't well known but sensational. You can almost feel the blood spatter on the walls of the castle! One trivia point: Berry and Ludwig were married for 13 years and when they made this recording. Oh, found this album and brought it over to one of our weekly listening sessions a couple of years back. Sid Marks was there and he looked at the album and pronounced it one of his all time favorite Decca recordings. So that speaks a lot about this recording! Sid's a pretty harsh critic.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	bartok.png Views:	1 Size:	931.9 KB ID:	38487

Comment

Some more favorites. I love Britten's Young Person's Guide to Music. Simply sensational music. The tape and LP of Suite Espanola are just a little illuminated but think that is the music more than the recording. Be careful of the La Fille Mal Gardee (a must-have). They did a zillion pressing of this and the sound went down over the years. You can generally tell the later pressing by the front art. (that is true with many labels--they cut cost by cheapening the quality of the front of the album.) As time went on, the distinctiveness and separation of the two women from the background was lost.

Click image for larger version  Name:	thDUFQ15UQ.jpg Views:	1 Size:	11.9 KB ID:	38489
            Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l200.jpg Views:	1 Size:	19.5 KB ID:	38490
            Click image for larger version  Name:	m6ITAjCLlTLKujnXlTJm2uA.jpg Views:	1 Size:	9.2 KB ID:	38491
            Click image for larger version  Name:	311354397975.jpg Views:	1 Size:	30.0 KB ID:	38492
            Click image for larger version  Name:	decca britten.png Views:	1 Size:	217.5 KB ID:	38493
            Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l300.jpg Views:	1 Size:	23.3 KB ID:	38498
            Click image for larger version  Name:	albeniz.jpg Views:	1 Size:	238.7 KB ID:	38497
            Click image for larger version  Name:	image_5676.jpg Views:	1 Size:	125.0 KB ID:	38495
            Click image for larger version  Name:	image_5677.jpg Views:	1 Size:	317.1 KB ID:	38496

Name:	image_5675.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	38494

Comment

• Madfloyd
              Madfloyd commented
              Editing a comment
              That last one is a fav in my household!

Now these two aren't know for their sound but the music and playing is sensational. This might be one of the best performances of Rossini's Overtures you'll find on LP. But they made a zillion copies and for whatever reason--and I've bought six copies or so--the condition of the albums suck. People played this album to death.

The Romantic Russia album is for some reason a little closed in and dark--but the tape isn't like that. So maybe it was a bad transfer (Sort of like it's worn but I've listened to a couple of copies and they all sound the same). The music however is to die for!!!

Name:	201450706276_1.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	38502

Name:	russia.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	38501

Comment

• Madfloyd
              Madfloyd commented
              Editing a comment
              Agreed - great music.

• JCOConnell
              JCOConnell commented
              Editing a comment
              I have the Romantic Russia on an early mofi pressing and it sounds wonderful. musically very satisfying too.

Some other great Deccas! The early SC reissue of the Mahler back in the '90s isn't bad either. Spectacular bass!

Name:	Mahler-Symphony-No-3-40226_b_0.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	289.9 KB
ID:	38505

The Beatrice Lilly is a guilty pleasure. Little dark, I love this performance (along with the Mia Farrow on EMI and Boris Karloff on Vanguard) of Peter and the Wolf.

Name:	sxl2218.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	38506

Maybe a little underappreciated in an era of great pianists, the Katchen performance is one that I often turn to.

Name:	R-9004974-1473112397-8347.gif.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	38507

Now I'm not a huge Brahms fan but if I'm in the mood, I definitely will put this performance with Curzon on piano on the table!

Name:	SXL6023-1-300x300.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	38508

Comment

Originally posted by astrotoy View Post

Both L'Oiseau Lyre and Argo were bought by Decca and most of their issues, except the very earliest ones were engineered and pressed by Decca. I have all but one of the L'Oiseau Lyre albums (SOL and DSLO), and all but two of the Argo albums (ZRG series), excluding digitals.

I have some Accents and a bunch of Harmonia Mundi (French). One of the great engineers is Jean-Francois Pontefract who did many of the HM France albums.

Be aware that Arthur does like the dutch pressings and later repressings of the Decca and London albums - not the earlier tube lathe pressings. Easier and cheaper to find.

Larry
              I forgot this Argo. One not to miss. But this is one where the difference between the London and Argo releases are smaller than expected. In fact, one or two people I know prefer the London. Either way, this one belongs in your record library! And another Britten to boot!

Name:	76bbb2c30afde949cd197e1f2eeff33c.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	38512

Comment

Oh almost forgot this one. One of the most spectacular Decca recordings ever made! Grab it. Won't cost an arm and a leg!!!

Name:	edgardvarese-arcanaintegralesionisation.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	38514

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
                  Larry, there were a few Decca recordings only released on the London label right?
                  Myles, yes, quite a few, including some early recordings from the mid '50's, that either never were released on Decca or only released on Decca mid price or bargain in the '70's. Among the oddballs are the series of Russian and Eastern European operas that were recorded in Bulgaria by Decca and released only on London at the start of the stereo era. I have a few of those. One of HP's TAS Superdiscs, the Prokofiev Violin Concerti with Ricci was first released on London (early thick groove pressings) and only much later released on the Decca Eclipse label - that later one is on the TAS Super Disc List. I have both. Quite a few vocal recordings (in the London OS series which is the same as their CS series for non vocal recordings) were only on London - I have a bunch of those, and there are many other recordings that you would think should be on full priced Decca but aren't - like the Ansermet Borodin Symphonies - only issued on Decca Eclipse. BTW, quite a few of the issues which were London stereo and not Decca stereo were released on Decca mono.

For some, like the early Bulgarian recordings, I think that Decca may have thought the quality of the sound was not up to the standards of their full priced releases but would be OK for the (less discerning) US market. :-)

Larry
                  Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
                  Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
                  Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
                  Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
                  Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
                  Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
                  Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                    MylesBAstor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wasn't there also a Campoli violin recording that only appeared on London?

• astrotoy
                    astrotoy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Myles, I tracked down the Campoli on London only. It is the Saint-Saens Violin Concerto 3 with a Paganini-Kreisler 1 movement Concerto - London CS6084, buried in my collection! I found about 20 or so London only albums (all engineered by Decca with the usual Decca cast of artists from the early stereo days, but for some reason never made it to Decca full price. Larry

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
                  Some other great Deccas! The early SC reissue of the Mahler back in the '90s isn't bad either. Spectacular bass!
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	Mahler-Symphony-No-3-40226_b_0.jpg Views:	1 Size:	289.9 KB ID:	38505

The Beatrice Lilly is a guilty pleasure. Little dark, I love this performance (along with the Mia Farrow on EMI and Boris Karloff on Vanguard) of Peter and the Wolf.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	sxl2218.jpg Views:	1 Size:	50.7 KB ID:	38506

Maybe a little underappreciated in an era of great pianists, the Katchen performance is one that I often turn to.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	R-9004974-1473112397-8347.gif.jpg Views:	1 Size:	9.8 KB ID:	38507

Now I'm not a huge Brahms fan but if I'm in the mood, I definitely will put this performance with Curzon on piano on the table!
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	SXL6023-1-300x300.jpg Views:	1 Size:	25.3 KB ID:	38508
                  Some great recordings you have posted. Funny story about the Bea Lillie album. Mike Mailes first assignment when he switched over to the classical division (he had started at Decca at age 15 or 16 after finishing school in 1952, so he was still very young) was to take a tape recorder to the London Zoo and tape the sounds of animals for the album. He told me that the zoo keepers had to use poles to prod the animals into making their sounds, and for the elephant bellow, they separated the male and female elephants and the male started calling for his mate! BTW, the album has two front covers - one for Peter and the Wolf which you show and the other for Carnival of the Animals for which Mike's sound effects were used.

Larry
                  Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
                  Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
                  Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
                  Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
                  Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
                  Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
                  Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

My first DECCA UK SXL 2000 series records....I should get them by the end of next week...
                    Christian
                    System Gear

Comment

• Madfloyd
                      Madfloyd commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Where did you get these, Christian and what did you pay? (you're going to love 'em!)

• astrotoy
                      astrotoy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Agreed, both great albums. The Falla is generally crazy expensive. If people want a very fine digital version, Winston Ma issued the Falla on his FIM CD label about 10 years ago. It is very fine, engineered by Paul Stubblebine from the original master tapes. Michael Bishop did a new engineering of some excerpts of the album in 2014 for my Decca book for FIM, also very fine. I have a London issue of the album also. Never felt I could afford an original Decca! Now i can't afford it even more.

Larry

• Madfloyd
                      Madfloyd commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The excerpts that came with the Decca book sound amazing. In fact, I was playing my Bernie Grundman mastered ORG 45RPM version of Lanchberry "La Fille Mal Garde" and wasn't happy with how it was sounding (not the mastering fault but my analog setup) and searched Roon for the digital version and saw the two excerpts. I played them and was astounded how good they were! I would love to have more FIM masterings and based on your comment that Winston MA issued the Falla I will look for it!

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	375.7 KB
ID:	39609Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	486.2 KB
ID:	39610 Last night I listened to WB/ED1 Near Mint version of Decca SXL 2296 ANSERMET* FALLA: THE THREE-CORNERED HAT. I paid big bucks for this record...$650.00. It did not disappoint....played NM and is probably the best sounding classical record I have heard to date. It is a sonic stunner in addition to a marvelous performance. It smokes the 45 ORG reissue that is great sounding in it's own right.
                    Christian
                    System Gear

Comment

• Rob
                      Rob commented
                      Editing a comment
                      flippin' awesome
                  Working...
                  X