• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	407.5 KB
ID:	43094 Just finished listening to this. Awesome...goes into my Decca top 10....SXL 2077
    Christian
    System Gear

Comment

I just found this thread and I have most of the records that are shown including SXL 2077 as a first pressing.
      I've just started using discogs and I found that my version, although it is an ED1 and it is printed 59.10 on back of the sleeve, it does not have the first sleeve.
      I have some Decca with blue border back cover but the first sleeve of SXL 2077 have blue text (mine has black text, otherwise identical). I'm really starting to appreciate discogs.
      - According to my reference, the discography of the SXL 2000 serie by Stefan Simon, it was first released in March 1959.

My favourite with Fjeldstad is this SXL 2012 which I have with an unusual cover (it is an ED1) and it was my first entry on discogs.
      Attached Files

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	48.3 KB ID:	44367
        Originally posted by Eliot View Post
        I just found this thread and I have most of the records that are shown including SXL 2077 as a first pressing.
        I've just started using discogs and I found that my version, although it is an ED1 and it is printed 59.10 on back of the sleeve, it does not have the first sleeve.
        I have some Decca with blue border back cover but the first sleeve of SXL 2077 have blue text (mine has black text, otherwise identical). I'm really starting to appreciate discogs.
        - According to my reference, the discography of the SXL 2000 serie by Stefan Simon, it was first released in March 1959.

My favourite with Fjeldstad is this SXL 2012 which I have with an unusual cover (it is an ED1) and it was my first entry on discogs.
        That is an unusual color for that record cover. I'm awaiting my ED1 version that I recently won at auction. I hear it is one of the great Decca's ?
        Christian
        System Gear

Comment

My SXL2012 is also blue.
          SXL2077 was recorded in February 10-15, 1958 in Kingsway Hall, London. John Culshaw produced (a few months before he started the great Solti Ring cycle in Vienna). Alan Reeves and Gordon Parry did the stereo engineering. Cyril Windebank did the mono engineering but that was never released. There was a companion album of Sibelius Songs recorded in the same session, with the great Wagnerian Soprano Kirsten Flagstad singing (SXL2030). Interestingly, the SXL2012 (again with Fjeldstad conducting the LSO) was done in the next session at Kingsway, Feb 17-19, this time with Christopher Raeburn producing and Cyril Windebank and Alan Reeve doing the engineering. There was a separate mono recording done with Erik Smith producing and Gordon Parry engineering. At the same session, Peter Katin played the Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto 1 (SXL2034) with yet a different set of producers - Ray Minshull producing and Alan Reeves engineering the stereo.

Larry
          Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
          Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
          Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
          Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
          Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
          Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
          Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Name:	
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	44637Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	44636Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	44635 More goodies arrived today. All NM, ED1.
            Christian
            System Gear

Comment

• Rob
              Rob commented
              Editing a comment
              those are spectacular recordings... a very enthusiastic congrats!!

• astrotoy
              astrotoy commented
              Editing a comment
              +1 on Rob's comment.

I listened to Iberia and Peer last night. While visually they a solid NM with no marks, they actually play NM- with and occasional tic, light pop and some light bg record surface noise noticeable during the very quiet parts. Peer has a bit a crackle for the first minute or so. Sort of a bummer considering the cost...but I think this comes with the territory. I am going to listen to Rossini/Maag this morning.
            Christian
            System Gear

Comment

Name:	
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	44904Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	44903Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	44902 I'm going to keep posting my new Decca acquisitions in this thread. On deck for tonight....Sleeping Beauty complete ballet (6 sides). I listened to the other two last night. They are fantastic listens.
              Christian
              System Gear

Comment

Originally posted by rockitman View Post
                I listened to Iberia and Peer last night. While visually they a solid NM with no marks, they actually play NM- with and occasional tic, light pop and some light bg record surface noise noticeable during the very quiet parts. Peer has a bit a crackle for the first minute or so. Sort of a bummer considering the cost...but I think this comes with the territory. I am going to listen to Rossini/Maag this morning.
                That's the way some of the records just are. Like buying records made after the oil crisis and they were using ground up, recycled vinyl. Even new, the surfaces were noisy.
                Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
                -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
                -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
                -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
                -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
                -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
                -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

That's the way some of the records just are. Like buying records made after the oil crisis and they were using ground up, recycled vinyl. Even new, the surfaces were noisy.
                  Thats interesting Myles. I thought it might be due to excessive play with old style styli in the 50's...?
                  Christian
                  System Gear

Comment

• astrotoy
                    astrotoy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That, too. Records from the US from that era were often played by automatic changer record players, where one would stack up a bunch of records and they would drop onto the turntable, with friction between the records getting the newest one up to speed! (There is a raised bead of vinyl around the outside edge of most of the old records to minimize the contact area.) The Brits typically had single play manual turntables, so one had to flip the records over. I think records were relatively more expensive in the UK (with the country still coming out of the WWII austerity economy) so they may well have been more careful with records than the profligate Yanks. Of course, you are buying sample sizes of 1, so averages are less meaningful. Larry

So in general is it safe to say that RCA Living Stereo LSC series records are generally quieter in the record surface noise dept .than DECCA ED1 records from the same time period wear aside ?
                  Christian
                  System Gear

Comment

• Madfloyd
                    Madfloyd commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This seems to contradict Larry's comment to your previous post (i.e. US records were subject to stacking etc.).

I've found MLP to be the worst (also US), but I may have just been unlucky.

• rockitman
                    rockitman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The DECCA record's I see look NM or virtually close to NM but still have more record surface noise than an equivalently clean NM RCA. This is not a stacking issue which makes marks on records.

Name:	
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	44973Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	44972Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	44971 Here are a few more I listened to for the first time last night....
                  Christian
                  System Gear

Comment

• Madfloyd
                    Madfloyd commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Are you using the Decca EQ when playing these back or RIAA?

• rockitman
                    rockitman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Depends on the record. In general though for Decca ED1 series, I generally use Decca EQ.

• MylesBAstor
                    MylesBAstor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The Rostropovitch is a hidden gem.

The Decca's almost always benefit significantly from a vigorous record cleaning regime, including an ultrasonic cleaning followed by a pure water rinse. In some cases, it also helps to use an enzymatic cleaner. RCA Shady Dogs can have their own issues. 1S copies (at least of early stereo issues) can and sometimes do have pressing bubbles in the vinyl. Sometimes the noise is inexplicable. I have an EMI Columbia SAX of Oistrahk doing the Beethoven Violin Concerto No. 1. On the first side there is a swishing sound in the left channel particularly near the end of the side. Side 2 is pristine. The sound is otherwise heavenly. So what do you do?
                  Rockport Sirius turntable, Lyra Atlas SL cartridge, Audio Note M9 SE Phono stage, Audio Note M10 (Signature) linestage, EMM Labs TX2/DA2 digital, Audio Note Balanced Kegon amps, EMM Labs MTRX amps, Acapella Triolons, Jorma Prime and Odin 2 cables, Stage 3 Kraken power cords, HB Marble Powerslave, Finite Elemente Pagode Reference stands and Cerabases, Halcyonics active isolation bases, HRS Equipment stand, Stillpoints Ultra 6 footers, Furitech cable isolators and plugs, Loricraft and Audiodesk vinyl cleaners, Yamaha CT7000 Tuner.

Comment

So in general is it safe to say that RCA Living Stereo LSC series records are generally quieter in the record surface noise dept .than DECCA ED1 records from the same time period wear aside ?
                    Unfortunately, most of us (including me) have a sample size of 1 for each record in our collections. Given that, I have generally had more success with better surfaces with my Deccas than RCAs. But it also depends on where you get them. The vast majority of my Deccas I have bought from dealers in the UK, while the RCA's come from US Dealers, which are from travelling around the country, rather than mail order. So my UK dealers are ones that I have gotten to know and understand better their grading policies. Several of them play grade and I have some assurance of their standards. For example, I know from one dealer if I get an Ex+ record or better, it will be fine. I will know that an E grade will be a little noisy. I have bought from other UK dealers whose standards are not as consistent or high, and I don't buy from them any more. I don't have the same confidence with the different American stores that I have frequented. I'm currently writing a blog about whom I buy from which will be on the Zero-Distortion.org website in a few weeks. I bought most of my records in the days before ebay and discogs, so I don't have a lot of experience with those kinds of sites. I will occasionally buy the odd record on my want list, but have never bought an expensive record that way.

Larry
                    Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
                    Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	454.6 KB ID:	48509Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	331.2 KB ID:	48510
                      I won this record for a reasonable amount at a UK auction this morning...NM. Anyone familiar with it ?
                      PETER MAAG - MOZART: NOTTURNO FOR FOUR ORCHESTRAS, Decca SXL 2196 ED1
                      Christian
                      System Gear

Comment

• Madfloyd
                        Madfloyd commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I was surprised to learn that I don't have the Speakers Corner pressing of this one... so I can't offer any insight. You'll have to wait for Larry.

Click image for larger version Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	454.6 KB ID:	48509Click image for larger version Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	331.2 KB ID:	48510
                      I won this record for a reasonable amount at a UK auction this morning...NM. Anyone familiar with it ?
                      PETER MAAG - MOZART: NOTTURNO FOR FOUR ORCHESTRAS, Decca SXL 2196 ED1
                      Yes, nice record. It has been one of the more expensive of the SXL2000's. So you may have a relative bargain. As I remember, the Notturno has the four orchestras (probably the orchestra divided into four parts - with two at the front left and right and two at the rear left and right, so there are some nice spatial effects with the music. I have both an original and the Speaker's Corner version. Normally the originals are better, but I haven't compared them in a very long time.

Erik Smith produced and Wilkie engineered - recorded in December 1959.

Larry

Comment

• Madfloyd
                        Madfloyd commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Now that you mention it, same for me. If there were reviews on AcousticSounds I paid attention, if not, I looked at discogs ratings and if I got a bad feeling about it, I didn't buy it. It will be great to know what you think when you get yours.

• rockitman
                        rockitman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Forgot to mention...$225 at auction plus shipping from U.K. I know this seller. He grades fairly and executes returns w/o issue if necessary.

• Madfloyd
                        Madfloyd commented
                        Editing a comment
                        If you feel comfortable mentioning the seller's eBay handle I wouldn't mind knowing it...
                    Working...
                    X