Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course...record vault. He runs auctions and has some lesser known buy now options
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/progression5...p2047675.l2562
    Christian
    System Gear

Comment

• Madfloyd
      Madfloyd commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks but I'm confused. You mention 'record vault' but give a link for a seller called 'progression5' ?

• rockitman
      rockitman commented
      Editing a comment
      eBay user name is progression. He calls his store The Record Bank.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	27.7 KB ID:	66723Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	24.0 KB ID:	66724Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	20.9 KB ID:	66725
    SXL 6426 Schubert Arpeggione & Bridge Cello Sonata Rostropovich & Britten ED3 WB

I have the narrow band ED4. Does anyone know if the ED3 (First Issue) WB is from the valve...pre transistor pressing chain ? My ED4 (transistor repro chain) still sounds quite good for $230. The ED3 is like $1200+ at auction these days. Is it safe to assume the ED3 kicks ED4 Narrow band's ass for those fortunate enough to have this recording/issue ? TIA
    Christian
    System Gear

Comment

• astrotoy
      astrotoy commented
      Editing a comment
      I only have the ED4. Sorry. My pressing is 13W, so it would be quite early. The ED3 has been crazy expensive for a long time (even more now.) It was one of the very last ED3 issues. Since they were switching to the new labels at that time, it would explain the scarcity of ED3 label. My understanding is that the valve pressings coincide with the groove labels, so ED3 would be transistor. Could be wrong, however. Recording was done the last week of July, 1968 at Snape Maltings (the venue that Britten had refurbished, near his home). John Mordler produced and Gordon Parry and Wilkie did the engineering.

Larry

• rockitman
      rockitman commented
      Editing a comment
      Larry,

So is ED4 the same sound quality as ED3 for this title since they are both transistor repro ?

• rockitman
      rockitman commented
      Editing a comment
      My ed4 is 1w/3w....phenomenal recording, music. I’m just trying to figure out if the ed3 sounds different, same or better. ...to justify the $1500 price tag. I paid $230 for my EX ed4 copy.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_5651.jpg Views:	2 Size:	132.7 KB ID:	66747

This record, the Decca copy of which Myles posted above, is one that I have been listening to since I was in high school. I originally bought it new, as a London Treasury series from the National Record Mart, and over the years acquired a variety of pressings, it is still a favorite musically, The Dance Macabre is brooding and intense, has a great minor gypsy toned violin/string arrangement and the bass tones at the end are surprising in their depth. I don't know if you remember Myles, but one of the records I brought to an Audiophile Club meeting up at Hy's house was an old copy of this. I don't think we listened to it.
    Attached Files

Comment

• rockitman
      rockitman commented
      Editing a comment
      I recently acquired a UK ED1 copy of this after acquiring the OOP Speakers Corner. Excellent music/recording.

• rockitman
      rockitman commented
      Editing a comment
      The Dance Macabre is brooding and intense
      I agree...Me thinks it's a better performance than the one on RCA Gibson's Witches Brew

• astrotoy
      astrotoy commented
      Editing a comment
      Ansermet started conducting at the Ballets Russe in Paris in the late teens, while Saint-Saens was still alive (he died in Paris in '21). So they may have known each other!

Larry

Larry (and others)- speaking of relationships between performer conductors and composers, I've recently gotten into Scriabin performed by his son in law, Sofronitsky. There is something I like about the borderline between early modernist piano and the atonal stuff. I'm still learning. Most of the original recordings were issued by the Soviet Union or the earliest stuff, by Scriabin himself, on player piano rolls. Sorry for going out of the Decca fold, which is the theme here.

Comment

• tima
      tima commented
      Editing a comment
      also try Horowitz

Hi everyone I'm a new member so please forgive any mistakes . I wanted a little help from you guys as I can see you know much more than I . I have just recieved a copy of kyung wha chung con amore . It is on decca it's dated 1987 it's number is417 289-1 made in Holland in the dead wax o the A side it has 1111 on the B side it has 118 . It appears to be as new never played in perfect condition . does anyone know it's value is it worthwhile putting it up for sale . I'm sorry if I have posted in wrong place still trying to find way around

Comment

Originally posted by Smellynelly1964 View Post
      Hi everyone I'm a new member so please forgive any mistakes . I wanted a little help from you guys as I can see you know much more than I . I have just recieved a copy of kyung wha chung con amore . It is on decca it's dated 1987 it's number is417 289-1 made in Holland in the dead wax o the A side it has 1111 on the B side it has 118 . It appears to be as new never played in perfect condition . does anyone know it's value is it worthwhile putting it up for sale . I'm sorry if I have posted in wrong place still trying to find way around
      It is a quite rare album, fairly late vinyl pressing for Decca. It is digital, recorded in Forde Abbey, Dorset in October, 1985, but not released until 1987. I have two copies, the London label (identical to the Decca label) and a Korean Decca pressing which has the same stamper as the Decca/London.

Should go for a good price on ebay or discogs. There is one for sale on Discogs for 550 Euros, another for $35 for a Japanese pressing. Analogphonic did a remaster in 2012 which is available at normal retail.

It is one of my favorite digital albums. Absolutely wonderful violinist. We saw her in a recital concert in London in 1985 a few months before she did the recording. This was the last Decca album she did (after being with them from the start of her career in 1970), except for a couple of chamber music CD's she did with her sister and brother in 1986-7. She went on to record with EMI.

Larry
      Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
      Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacMicroModel2
      Dig Play-mch NADAC, Roon, HQPlayer, Oppo95
      Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
      Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
      Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
      Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

• Smellynelly1964
        Smellynelly1964 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks so much for the reply the lp was in a box of 65 classic albums on decca Philips and deutsche grammaphon. a box of classic lp's from the seventies and early eighties that all appear unplayed I would say is quite unusual . I do think I will pass it on even though I do love my music and the classics I do not think my system would do justice to such a work . Anyway thanks once again for the info it must have been an incredible experience to see her live

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	1
Size:	669.2 KB
ID:	67502 So instead of spending money on wires, components, ect for the system in 2017, I have been dropping the coin on records...specifically UK Golden Era Classical. While I have a good few other excellent ED1 Decca titles...these are the heavy hitters in my collection...All are WBg ED1 except, Ruggiero Ricci and Espana which are WBg ED2. Those ED2's still beat the great SC's reissues of the same and are presumably on par with their ED1 counterparts since the same Valve reproduction chain was used.
      Christian
      System Gear

Comment

• Bill Hart
        Bill Hart commented
        Editing a comment
        The research and the hunt are fun. I've never been of the view that you find rare records in the $2 bin, especially these days- maybe thirty years ago you could buy on the cheap. Today, the good copies in a high state of play are usually pretty expensive. Sounds like this has opened a door to a whole new area of music for you, which is part of the excitement too. It's quite an adventure on a lot of levels.

C, now that you own orig. pressings of most if not all the 'top' Decca's (Classical) from the early stereo period how would you rank them in terms of SQ?
      How Do You Beat Audiophile Nervosa?

Step Number 1: Upgrade your music collection first. If you do it correctly that should keep you busy in perpetuity.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
        C, now that you own orig. pressings of most if not all the 'top' Decca's (Classical) from the early stereo period how would you rank them in terms of SQ?
        Scottish Fantasia, Three cornered hat, ruggiero ricci are at the top of the heap followed closely by and Espana...
        Christian
        System Gear

Comment

• MylesBAstor
          MylesBAstor commented
          Editing a comment
          You need an early copy of La Fille Mal Gardee. 😄 The opera of Bluebird’s Castle is sensational. Even for non-opera fans. Then don’t forget some of the Decca Heads like the Plague.

• rockitman
          rockitman commented
          Editing a comment
          Got it...great listen. Doesn’t fit in my top 15 Decca carrying case...lol

Christian, quite an impressive collection in one year! Almost all are rare to very rare and pricey. Larry
        Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
        Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacMicroModel2
        Dig Play-mch NADAC, Roon, HQPlayer, Oppo95
        Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
        Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
        Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
        Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

• rockitman
          rockitman commented
          Editing a comment
          Larry,

You gave me the knowledge to be dangerous to my bank account... I will share my top 15 Columbia 33CX, SAX , HMV ALP, ASD in the appropriate threads. It’s been a busy year.

Regarding DECCA SXL ED1 Wide Band Goove, there seems to be an ED1 subset where the back cover outer jacket has Blue stripes near the edge. Are the Decca bluebacks truly the earliest first issues compared to non-blue back WBg ED1 versions ? Is there a back story on this ? Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	1
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	68809
        Christian
        System Gear

Comment

• rockitman
          rockitman commented
          Editing a comment
          Very interesting Larry. Thanks !

• MylesBAstor
          MylesBAstor commented
          Editing a comment
          I seem to have misplaced my copy. 😥

• rockitman
          rockitman commented
          Editing a comment
          Mis-filed possibly ?

Originally posted by rockitman View Post
        Click image for larger version Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	27.7 KB ID:	66723Click image for larger version Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	24.0 KB ID:	66724Click image for larger version Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	20.9 KB ID:	66725
        SXL 6426 Schubert Arpeggione & Bridge Cello Sonata Rostropovich & Britten ED3 WB

I have the narrow band ED4. Does anyone know if the ED3 (First Issue) WB is from the valve...pre transistor pressing chain ? My ED4 (transistor repro chain) still sounds quite good for $230. The ED3 is like $1200+ at auction these days. Is it safe to assume the ED3 kicks ED4 Narrow band's ass for those fortunate enough to have this recording/issue ? TIA
        I thought I would add a bit more color to this title. From the previous post I quoted, I am trying to figure out if the much more expensive ED3 (1st edition 1970) of this record sounds any better than the more affordable ED4 version (2nd edition) that came out in 1978. I have the ED4 and imo, is one of the best sounding chamber records from DECCA or anyone for that matter.

In any event, I struck gold this morning and secured a Wide Band ED3 first edition of the record. Finally I will be able to compare ED3 with ED4. Hopefully ED3 sounds even better given the price. If not, it will go back on the auction block. The price today for this amazing record....$925...which is on the low end if you can believe it these days. I'm psyched !!!
        There is also another ED4 version that is pressed in Holland. see attached label below. I am assuming this version should be avoided from a sound quality perspective.
        Last edited by rockitman; 10-26-2017, 12:18 AM.
        Christian
        System Gear

Comment

• MylesBAstor
          MylesBAstor commented
          Editing a comment
          I thought I had a UK pressing but all I could find is a Holland pressing. Gotta tear things apart tomorrow.

One suggestion. Paying those bucks, you should check the Buckingham code first. That is far better way of judging than just ED1,etc.

• rockitman
          rockitman commented
          Editing a comment
          Good tip. Thanks on the code check.

• MylesBAstor
          MylesBAstor commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, I want those low, single letters!
      Working...
      X