Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also Christian, congrats on the Campoli Tchaikovsky...I saw that on the other thread but the thread's closed. The Campoli is my favourite for Tchaikovsky with the Heifetz. Campoli too expensive for me, even ED2. Does anyone know how the reissue is?

Comment

Originally posted by bonzo75 View Post
      I have this Ricci ED2, Henryk Szeryng classic records, Szeryng (red/silver shaded dog RCA, first US Stereo version) , and have compared to ED1 of Szeryng UK (SB instead of LSC), and Heifetz ED1.

All of the Szeryng versions above are better, among those the UK ED1 was easily the best, but next best I preferred the classic records. The Szeryng performance is excellent, I prefer it to Ricci and the CSO is fantastic. The recording is great too, the UK ED1 has loads of dynamic range, bass, brass is fantastic. Classic records is very good for the money for those who don't want to get into the madness of sourcing a good UK ED1.

Heifetz performance is probably even better from a violin perspective but the recording is compressed relative to the others.

I also found the Ricci does better with Decca Eq curves, at least with the FM - we tried at Vertere's. I haven't tried with the others.

In related news, the Campoli Decca FFRR mono Lalo symphonie espagnole was demoed at Munich with airtight phono to show effects of the Eq curve
      The Szeryng is probably the most famous of the Lalo recordings. I first bought the Victrola reissue maybe 40 years ago. Probably $2 new or something like that. Interestingly, the associate conductor of the Chicago Symphony, Walter Hendl, ended up recording many of these violin concerto albums. Not sure why, because he never went on to have a major career. I have a 15ip 2 track dub from a safety master which sounds quite good. Bob Witrak has a digital rip from a 15ip 2 track tape at DXD352 on his HDTT website. In my system it sounds excellent.

Larry
      Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
      Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
      Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
      Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
      Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
      Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
      Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Originally posted by bonzo75 View Post
        Also Christian, congrats on the Campoli Tchaikovsky...I saw that on the other thread but the thread's closed. The Campoli is my favourite for Tchaikovsky with the Heifetz. Campoli too expensive for me, even ED2. Does anyone know how the reissue is?
        I have the Campoli Tchaik on an ED1 pressing (small scratch so I got it fairly cheap), and I bought the Analogphonic reissue. Need to compare them. If you want to look at a very interesting and odd assortment of reissues, go to the Analogphonic website. Some really great stuff and some really weird choices.

Larry
        Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
        Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
        Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
        Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
        Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
        Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
        Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	267.9 KB ID:	93116Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	133.8 KB ID:	93117Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	285.4 KB ID:	93118Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	293.3 KB ID:	93119Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	83.9 KB ID:	93120
          To spice up the Decca FFSS experience, I recently acquired this Decca FFSS Pattern mount cart. There is no cantilever and it tracks at 2 grams. This one has been gone through by the vintage Decca expert John Wright. The bayonet pattern mount adapter for SME is pictured. This type of cart must be used this way or with an original Decca FFSS tonearm. Should be in my possession by early August.
          Christian
          System Gear

Comment

• MylesBAstor
            MylesBAstor commented
            Editing a comment
            Geez that looks ancient.

• rockitman
            rockitman commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm not sure when these where made. I suppose when Decca FFSS records came out. Early 60's ?
        Working...
        X