X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rockitman
    commented on 's reply
    I'm not sure when these where made. I suppose when Decca FFSS records came out. Early 60's ?

• MylesBAstor
    commented on 's reply
    Geez that looks ancient.

• rockitman
    replied
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	267.9 KB ID:	93116Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	133.8 KB ID:	93117Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	285.4 KB ID:	93118Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	293.3 KB ID:	93119Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	83.9 KB ID:	93120
    To spice up the Decca FFSS experience, I recently acquired this Decca FFSS Pattern mount cart. There is no cantilever and it tracks at 2 grams. This one has been gone through by the vintage Decca expert John Wright. The bayonet pattern mount adapter for SME is pictured. This type of cart must be used this way or with an original Decca FFSS tonearm. Should be in my possession by early August.

Leave a comment:

• astrotoy
    replied
    Originally posted by bonzo75 View Post
    Also Christian, congrats on the Campoli Tchaikovsky...I saw that on the other thread but the thread's closed. The Campoli is my favourite for Tchaikovsky with the Heifetz. Campoli too expensive for me, even ED2. Does anyone know how the reissue is?
    I have the Campoli Tchaik on an ED1 pressing (small scratch so I got it fairly cheap), and I bought the Analogphonic reissue. Need to compare them. If you want to look at a very interesting and odd assortment of reissues, go to the Analogphonic website. Some really great stuff and some really weird choices.

Larry

Leave a comment:

• astrotoy
    replied
    Originally posted by bonzo75 View Post
    I have this Ricci ED2, Henryk Szeryng classic records, Szeryng (red/silver shaded dog RCA, first US Stereo version) , and have compared to ED1 of Szeryng UK (SB instead of LSC), and Heifetz ED1.

All of the Szeryng versions above are better, among those the UK ED1 was easily the best, but next best I preferred the classic records. The Szeryng performance is excellent, I prefer it to Ricci and the CSO is fantastic. The recording is great too, the UK ED1 has loads of dynamic range, bass, brass is fantastic. Classic records is very good for the money for those who don't want to get into the madness of sourcing a good UK ED1.

Heifetz performance is probably even better from a violin perspective but the recording is compressed relative to the others.

I also found the Ricci does better with Decca Eq curves, at least with the FM - we tried at Vertere's. I haven't tried with the others.

In related news, the Campoli Decca FFRR mono Lalo symphonie espagnole was demoed at Munich with airtight phono to show effects of the Eq curve
    The Szeryng is probably the most famous of the Lalo recordings. I first bought the Victrola reissue maybe 40 years ago. Probably $2 new or something like that. Interestingly, the associate conductor of the Chicago Symphony, Walter Hendl, ended up recording many of these violin concerto albums. Not sure why, because he never went on to have a major career. I have a 15ip 2 track dub from a safety master which sounds quite good. Bob Witrak has a digital rip from a 15ip 2 track tape at DXD352 on his HDTT website. In my system it sounds excellent.

Larry

Leave a comment:

• bonzo75
    replied
    Also Christian, congrats on the Campoli Tchaikovsky...I saw that on the other thread but the thread's closed. The Campoli is my favourite for Tchaikovsky with the Heifetz. Campoli too expensive for me, even ED2. Does anyone know how the reissue is?

Leave a comment:

• bonzo75
    replied
    I have this Ricci ED2, Henryk Szeryng classic records, Szeryng (red/silver shaded dog RCA, first US Stereo version) , and have compared to ED1 of Szeryng UK (SB instead of LSC), and Heifetz ED1.

All of the Szeryng versions above are better, among those the UK ED1 was easily the best, but next best I preferred the classic records. The Szeryng sonics are much better, the CSO is fantastic, though Ricci has more intricate violin play. The Szeryng UK ED1 has loads of dynamic range, bass, brass is fantastic. Classic records is very good for the money for those who don't want to get into the madness of sourcing a good UK ED1.

Heifetz performance is probably even better from a violin perspective but the recording is compressed relative to the others.

I also found the Ricci does better with Decca Eq curves, at least with the FM - we tried at Vertere's. I haven't tried with the others.

In related news, the Campoli Decca FFRR mono Lalo symphonie espagnole was demoed at Munich with airtight phono to show effects of the Eq curve
    Last edited by bonzo75; 10-14-2018, 11:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rockitman
    commented on 's reply
    ^^^^There is more life and vibrancy to the music in general with the original vs reissue Decca's on Speakers Corner. Speaker's Corner for the most part sound very good. The originals are quite pricey depending on the title, edition and a small few are crazy expensive exceeding $2,000 per copy for ED1. Ruggiero Ricci comes to mind...$2,500 in NM condition. An ED2 version (which I have) sounds brilliant, cost's roughly $400 at auction and presumably on par with ED1 sound quality wise since the whole mastering process was done in analog with tube electronics....the same system as ED1.

• Madfloyd
    commented on 's reply
    Very nice, I imagine it'll sound much better than my Speakers Corner.

• MylesBAstor
    commented on 's reply
    Nice snag.

• astrotoy
    replied
    Great score. It is crazy expensive in ED1. I never was able (or willing) to get an early pressing. Decca rereleased on their Eclipse series ECS670 which I have as a 34W stamper. It is certainly a transistor pressing. Also I have a reference to a London Treasury STS15603 (which I have never seen). That should be cheap. It was reissued by Speakers Corner, at their normal $30 price (I also have that).

Larry

Leave a comment:

• rockitman
    replied
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	281.2 KB ID:	92840Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	282.3 KB ID:	92841 This is a recent new addition to the collection. ED2 WBg come from the same all tube repro system as ED1 but can be acquired for considerably less than ED1. This record went for $250 at auction NM-. ED1 normally fetches $600+ in NM. This is a great record. Highly recommended.

Leave a comment:

• MylesBAstor
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, I want those low, single letters!

• rockitman
    commented on 's reply
    Good tip. Thanks on the code check.

• rockitman
    commented on 's reply
    Mis-filed possibly ?
Working...
X