This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Columbia (UK) - SAX Label, BLUE/GOLD Mono Label

Thanks to Larry, the UK Pandora's box for Decca SXL and Columbia originals has been opened. My first two additions for these labels (thread topic) won today are as follows....Did I mention they are expensive as hell ? I would love to learn more about these labels. I feel fortunate to have won these records both in NM condition.
    Christian
    System Gear

expensive as hell is a relative term, i've spent >1500 for a single classical record and 200-800 ea on multiple LPs If you buy smart and don't over-pay it's an investment that will reward you every time you take 'em for a spin.
    Simon Yorke + Zyx + B.M.C .> Soulution > Boulder > Magico

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
      expensive as hell is a relative term, i've spent >1500 for a single classical record and 200-800 ea on multiple LPs If you buy smart and don't over-pay it's an investment that will reward you every time you take 'em for a spin.
      Thanks Rob...I feel a little better...the prices I paid for those two records respectively...$711 and $850....a few years back I would never of paid that much for a classical record. It's amazing how infected I have become with the genre. It's tough to make playback time for my other favorite genre's...rock/pop and Jazz.

Sticky Myles ?
      Last edited by rockitman; 01-08-2017, 05:33 PM.
      Christian
      System Gear

Comment

• Rob
        Rob commented
        Editing a comment
        in a weird way you'll become numb to prices over time, its just a number...if you can't take it with you, might as well enjoy it while you're alive

Christian, good luck on your purchases. The Columbia SAX series starts with the blue/silver labels and then switched to a Red and Black label and finally to a red and black with musical notes label (only for repressings). The problem arises when you see a first red/black advertised. They can either be the first issue or the first repressing depending on the catalogue number. The first repressings are generally a lot cheaper than the first issues. According to my collection list, looks like I have about 100 of the blue/silver SAX recordings. The last blue/silver I have is SAX2523, while I have a notation that from SAX2532 and higher is when there are no more blue/silvers and the red/black first label is the first issue. So somewhere in between 2524 and 2531 the blue/silver ends and the red/black starts being the first pressings. BTW, i have quite a few red/blacks of albums where they are second pressings - still excellent sound, but more affordable and generally easier to find.

My most crazy valuable SAX blue/silver is SAX2323 Kogan Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto which, like several of the other Kogan (Beethoven, Brahms, Lalo Vioiin Concerti) have gone absolutely stratospheric. I just checked on popsike and the recent prices have ranged from 2500GBP to 5000GBP in the past year!

Also quite a few of the Columbia SAX series originate from the US Epic label. The Epic issues are always much cheaper than the SAX versions and in my experience generally as good (and sometime better) than the SAX equivalents. I have maybe three or four albums where I have both the SAX and Epic versions. A few of the SAX Epic albums were compilations of parts of different Epic originals, but most of them have the exact same contents. Most were recordings by George Szell and the Clieveland Orchestra, with some by pianist Charles Rosen and some by the Juilliard String Quartet.

Also Testament has done a very fine job with reissues of some of the SAX series. They are certainly worth exploring for $35 or so.

Larry

Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
      Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
      Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
      Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
      Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
      Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
      Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

I never got into the Columbia SAXs but heard quite a few at Sid's place. Lot with Klemperer and have to like his conducting.

My favorite and it's a four LP release is the Ravel with Cluytens. I only have volume 2 of the original four single album releases. I did get the Testament box set Ravel Complete Orchestral Works back in the '90s with all four releases and it's good but like transistors vs. tubes. Original Ravel albums around $500 each. Even the Testament reissue (http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/62...Vinyl_Box_Sets) was expensive back in the day. But better than nothing.
        Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
        -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
        -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
        -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
        -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
        -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
        -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
        -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
        -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
        -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
          I never got into the Columbia SAXs but heard quite a few at Sid's place. Lot with Klemperer and have to like his conducting.

My favorite and it's a four LP release is the Ravel with Cluytens. I only have volume 2 of the original four single album releases. I did get the Testament box set Ravel Complete Orchestral Works back in the '90s with all four releases and it's good but like transistors vs. tubes. Original Ravel albums around $500 each. Even the Testament reissue (http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/62...Vinyl_Box_Sets) was expensive back in the day. But better than nothing.
          The Cluytens Ravel set is quite special and expensive. I only have the Testament reissue. However you can get most (75%) of the set with 3 individual EMi Classics for Pleasure discs, that I bought for about 1GBP each. They are very fine sounding - coming from the original tapes. One, with the Bolero, was a HP TAS Super Disc. The three discs are CfP 40036 (that's the TAS Super Disc), CfP 40093, and CfP400363. I completed the set with an Angel 4 track tape ZS36110. I just checked on Discogs and the Angel record S36110 has the same contents. Probably suffers from the typical Angel pressed from a copy of the master tape problems. But some of the Angels sound surprisingly good - especially for a couple of bucks from the bargain bin.

Larry

Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
          Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
          Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
          Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
          Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
          Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
          Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Originally posted by rockitman View Post
            Thanks to Larry, the UK Pandora's box for Decca SXL and Columbia originals has been opened. My first two additions for these labels (thread topic) won today are as follows....Did I mention they are expensive as hell ? I would love to learn more about these labels. I feel fortunate to have won these records both in NM condition.
            You will need a big piggy bank to buy them all in nm or better and you will be tempted I am sure of this, when you hold the first two in your hand and notice the craftsmanship of the cover and record and maybe the sound to.

From SAX 2252-SAX 5290 it is apx. 262 lps + all the mono CX´s

Comment

Originally posted by banditcat200 View Post

You will need a big piggy bank to buy them all in nm or better and you will be tempted I am sure of this, when you hold the first two in your hand and notice the craftsmanship of the cover and record and maybe the sound to.

From SAX 2252-SAX 5290 it is apx. 262 lps + all the mono CX´s
              sounds like it will bankrupt me....thanks for laying out the scope of this SAX, CX collection.
              Christian
              System Gear

Comment

That's what I hate about collecting labels, its addictive, its expensive, and sometimes you end up buying music you don't even like just because its on the label.
                Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

they may have been expensive, but they look like lovely discs....
                  Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post

they may have been expensive, but they look like lovely discs....
                    This will be one of my most exciting record shipments yet...these and the 4 UK original Decca's coming in the same box.
                    Christian
                    System Gear

Comment

This will be one of my most exciting record shipments yet...these and the 4 UK original Decca's coming in the same box.
                      so you went on a binge huh? congratulations!

Comment

sounds like it will bankrupt me....thanks for laying out the scope of this SAX, CX collection.
                        Take one record at the time, there are not that many real nm records out there, but you will be hooked

A few pictures from my own collection

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	263.4 KB
ID:	39433 Is this record highly recommended ? There is one on the block now, NM.
                          Christian
                          System Gear

Comment

• banditcat200
                            banditcat200 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Actually I don't know if it is highly recommended, but it sounds good to me, Emil Gilels is a brilliant piano player and I love Beethoven´s music.

How did your purchases turn out, both the SAX and SXL, good ? or bad ?, You have placed a lot of money in the purchase and I wonder if it was worth while.

• rockitman
                            rockitman commented
                            Editing a comment
                            My first shipment of goodies arrives later today ....Columbia Blue/Gold Tartini: Devil's Trill, WB/ED1 FALLA: THE THREE-CORNERED HAT and LSC 2225 Witches brew 1s....all NM condition..(Hopefully) I have high expectations for tonight's listening session.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	2 Size:	234.8 KB ID:	39603Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	2 Size:	464.0 KB ID:	39604 I listened to my first exotic Columbia Blue/Gold 33CX mono record catalog#1415. While this record was listed as NM, NM to me means zero marks. Side A Devil's Trill, 13 light ticks with diminishing intensity at the start of side A. The rest of side A is perfect. Side B has about 15 total light ticks throughout the side. The recording is phenomenal....It feels and sounds like a direct Stradivarius feed...like the mic is in the violin itself. The tone is rich, resonant and in your face. Piano has a lovely background sound and shows the hall ambience quite well. Although the record is NM-, imo...not NM, it is still a treasure and I don't regret the price paid.
                          Christian
                          System Gear

Comment

Working...
                          X