Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This morning I won another Columbia SAX series record: SAX 2264 Brahms: Double Concerto - David Oistrakh / Fournier....supposedly like new surface for less than $300.00.
    Christian
    System Gear

Comment

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      Fournier is certainly one of the all time greats.

Originally posted by rockitman View Post
    Click image for larger version Name:	 Views:	2 Size:	234.8 KB ID:	39603Click image for larger version Name:	 Views:	2 Size:	464.0 KB ID:	39604 I listened to my first exotic Columbia Blue/Gold 33CX mono record catalog#1415. While this record was listed as NM, NM to me means zero marks. Side A Devil's Trill, 13 light ticks with diminishing intensity at the start of side A. The rest of side A is perfect. Side B has about 15 total light ticks throughout the side. The recording is phenomenal....It feels and sounds like a direct Stradivarius feed...like the mic is in the violin itself. The tone is rich, resonant and in your face. Piano has a lovely background sound and shows the hall ambience quite well. Although the record is NM-, imo...not NM, it is still a treasure and I don't regret the price paid.
    your description sounds like NM to me. If it didn't have the ticks it would be MINT. not NM.
    Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Teac A3300SX R2R, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post

your description sounds like NM to me. If it didn't have the ticks it would be MINT. not NM.
      NO! NM means zero audible ticks and no visible imperfections, such as scuff marks, blemishes, spindle marks, IMO, Christian's grade of NM- for the vinyl is accurate. The condition of the cover will also alter the grade.
      Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post

NO! NM means zero audible ticks and no visible imperfections, such as scuff marks, blemishes, spindle marks, IMO, Christian's grade of NM- for the vinyl is accurate. The condition of the cover will also alter the grade.
        I respectfully disagree. A record with no audible or visual imperfections is MINT. That high condition is quite rare. the sleeve is graded separately.
        Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Teac A3300SX R2R, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

• Johnny Vinyl
          Johnny Vinyl commented
          Editing a comment
          MINT equals 1) Sealed or 2) has never been played.

Some crazy auctions...
        http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bach-Mozart-...8AAOSwNnRYfEXm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leclair-Ysay...AAAOSwUKxYfEMi

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carmen-Fanta...wAAOSwUKxYfDt~

Christian
        System Gear

Comment

• banditcat200
          banditcat200 commented
          Editing a comment
          This seller makes some of the highest prices for quality records on ebay, he knows his records, in short he is making good business.
          I would like to know his sources where he buys his records in the UK.
          Take a look from his sold listings from ebay, only one word covers, wow.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?item=...ouse-uk&_sop=3

• astrotoy
          astrotoy commented
          Editing a comment
          I never have heard of this dealer before. I don't buy much on ebay, but he has a bunch of ultra rare and pricey stuff. The only other UK based dealer who has stuff like this is Dave Parsons, classicalvinyl.com, whom I've bought from for many years. I usually visit him on my annual sojourns to London. Right now Dave only has one album over 1000GBP, but several in the 500GBP range. Lots of his SAX albums are less than 100GBP. Dave is also one of the principals of the Electric Recording Company, which is doing very expensive reissues of some of the rarest EMI's.

Larry

• rockitman
          rockitman commented
          Editing a comment
          Good info Larry. Thanks ! My chances of getting Gioconda De Vito Bach-Mozart look very grim indeed.

auction history: http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksear...tos+&x=10&y=11

I listened to your Japan angel version which I believe is mono ? It sounded very good. Made me want the ASD original.

even if a seller has a "mint" record for sale, they will rarely list it as mint to avoid disappointment and cause disputes.

Comment

I don't know about you guys but I have both MINT and NM records, they are not the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post
            I don't know about you guys but I have both MINT and NM records, they are not the same thing.
            I don't buy anything less than NM or Mint.
            Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
            Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2 cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

I saw on ebay that the same seller has a box of 4 Kogan records which are German reissues, including what look like the contents of SAX2531, the second on the list. Current price is 22GBP, nice alternative to the current zillion dollar price of the original. Don't think this box ever was issued by EMI in the UK.

There are often alternative pressings of these ultra expensive records - a nice way to here what the fuss is about, without selling your first born, or missing a mortgage or college tuition payment.There is a Warner Bros (who own EMI Classical) 15 CD box of Kogan for $83 on Amazon. It contains all of the super crazy expensive albums which were first issued on EMI Columbia SAX. EMI reissued several of those (Brahms, Beethoven Violin Concerti) on their SXLP or CfP series in the '70's - which you can buy for a few bucks.

I have both the first and third albums in alternate forms.

The first album by Gioconda De Vito I have in a big Japanese issued box set of 10 recordings by De Vito, including a mix of mono and stereo. I also have the Testament reissue which I bought new for around $30. De Vito has a mixed reputation - she was highly regarded before WWII but did not play much after the mid '50's. She married to EMI executive David Bicknell, which probably explains her recordings with that label. I have to go back and listen to this album.

I have the third album in a London pressing, issued in parallel with the Decca release. However, the album was pretty popular and I have a later pressings. Ricci was a very well respected violinist. He was from San Francisco and actually had the same violin teacher as Yehudi Menuhin who was also from SF. His name was actually Woodrow Wilson Rich. (His brother was named George Washington Rich). He went to a more Italian sounding name (his parents were from Italy, but obviously very patriotic Americans) to benefit his burgeoning career which last some 70 years.

Larry
              Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre
              Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacMicroModel2
              Dig Play-mch NADAC, Emotion, HQPlayer, Oppo95
              Electronics-Herron VTSP3APre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
              Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
              Other-ArtKelmGroundOne IsoTrans,AudioDiskeSystemVinylClea ner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects, Power Supply
              Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	184.9 KB ID:	40790Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	324.3 KB ID:	40791 So I ended up returning this $700 Oistrakh Beethoven Violin Concerto D Columbia SAX series record. The left channel was compromised with a swooshing phasey/hissy background noise that overpowered the music when not in full tuttis. I enjoyed my $20 Angel copy better. In fact it was that record that motivated me to seek out the real deal. I can only attribute the left channel issue as inner groove damage from an old record player back in the day not properly aligned, ect. The record looked mint visually (no marks) The extra return money allowed me to make an all out assault on ASD 493 *WHITE/GOLD* SCHURICHT* BRUCKNER SYMPHONY NO.9* VIENNA PHILHARMONIC recently up on the block. I succeeded ! I should get it by the end of this week.
                Christian
                System Gear

Comment

• JCOConnell
                  JCOConnell commented
                  Editing a comment
                  good move on returning the noisy record. It sucks having to return stuff but you paid good money and don't deserve a defective disc.

• MylesBAstor
                  MylesBAstor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've encountered that sort of groove damage on records once in a while. I always wondered if that groove damage was caused by playing a stereo record with a mono cartridge?

• fcrowder
                  fcrowder commented
                  Editing a comment
                  For what it's worth, I have experienced exactly the same problem on a copy of this record. Unfortunately, I was not smart enough to send it back. I have definitely heard copies that do not have the problem so it is not a pressing problem.

Things are heating up on this auction...
                http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?isRef...edirect=mobile
                Christian
                System Gear

Comment

• astrotoy
                  astrotoy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This is crazy. I have copies of several of the records, no originals of the top three, but I do have #4, the Milstein Beethoven Violin Concerto in original Silver/Blue label. I just checked my data base and I paid 34GBP for it. I thought it was a reasonable price - not a great bargain at the time.

One record toward the bottom , the Oistrakh Decca SXL6025 with the Hindemith and Bruch Violin pieces is a third label. Description just says it is wide band - but it has no groove. The first pressing wide band groove, with "Original recording" around the edge of the label goes for 1000-1500GBP and more. Second pressing is also wide band groove with "Made in England" around the edge. It should go for about 500GBP. So it looks like the bidders so far know what they are doing. Fortunately, Tape Project released this in its first series, when their master tape copies were less than $200 for the two reels.

Larry

• MylesBAstor
                  MylesBAstor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have the Tape Project release and a Decca Ace of Diamonds. I would pick up the Ace of Diamonds issue for the right money. Little less ambience, not as rich eg. Little solid-state sounding but not a bad later pressing.

I missed that tape project release unfortunately.

This ERC looks interesting....a heck of a lot cheaper than an original. https://electricrecordingco.com/rele...or-two-violins
                Christian
                System Gear

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	1
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	47447 Drool. http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAX-2307-BLU...IAAOSw2gxYvUvZ

I settled for ordering the Testament reissue to see what all the fuss is about with this record.
                  Christian
                  System Gear

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	1
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	51730
                    JANOS STARKER / BACH cello suites nos 1 & 3, 33CX 1656
                    JANOS STARKER / BACH cello suites nos 2 & 5, 33CX 1515
                    JANOS STARKER / BACH cello suites nos 4 & 6, 33CX 1745

why do suites 4&6 (33CX 1745) command almost double the price at auction according to popsike ?
                    Christian
                    System Gear

Comment

• JCOConnell
                      JCOConnell commented
                      Editing a comment
                      rarer?

• rockitman
                      rockitman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      you would think in theory there were equal numbers produced for each title.
                  Working...
                  X