Recommended Collectors Reference Book

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended Collectors Reference Book

Now in 7th Edition. (A couple of friends acknowledged here-Cardona, Nemzer, Marks and Corsetti-helped to make this book possible. ) Good discography of different classical audiophile labels (lacking really only Phillips of the major labels, doesn't go over the EMI or Decca codes posted here on AN, lots of basic info about the say EMI postage stamp and pressing, where if any album was reviewed, etc. I also,loved the discussion about the Lyritas and who pressed them. (Decca, Nimbus and an unknown entity.)

There's also a mono version but haven't seen that.

I would ignore anything from the Mitchell compendium listed. Has a sordid history and wrong about the sound of many of the RCA releases listed.

Highly recommended for the money.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/371599838804
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2, vdh Colibri Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Fuuga cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

So you recommend it and not the others by the same author ?
    Christian
    System Gear

Comment

I can think of one audiophile friend who is big time into classical music. Though with most of his collection being on cd, this could be a useful guide.
      Front End: Vitus SCD-025 Mk2, Oppo BPD-103 Amp: Vitus SIA-025 Speakers: Magico S5 Mk2 Isolation: Taoc ASR series racks, Taoc SCB-RS-HC50G, Stillpoints Ultra 6's + Bases/Mini's/LPI's AC Power: Furutech GTX-D(G), Gigawatt PC-3 SE Evo, Jorma Prime pc's (re-terminated with cryo'd Oyaide M1/F1’s), Jorma Unity pc (re-terminated with Oyaide P-004/C-004’s) Cables: Jorma Prime xlr's + Statement sc's, Siltech Classic Anniversary rca's + HDMI Tweaks: Acoustic Revive (various), Akiko E-tuning Gold MkII

Comment

I have several editions of Phil's book, which were quite useful when I was accumulating my collection. I also bought quite a bit from Phil, who was an active dealer before he passed away. I am surprised at the 2012 publication date listed on ebay. I thought he died quite a bit before 2012. My last copy was the 7th Edition from January, 2004. It is blue in color, but has no publisher listed. I was a good customer of his in the late '90's and early 2000's, probably bought several hundred records from him. I just took a look at the book and there are some errors (mostly omissions) of Argos and L'Oiseau Lyres (including the entire DSLO series). My copy has 170 pages, a spiral binding, about 8" x 6" in size.

Larry

Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre
        Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacMicroModel2
        Dig Play-mch NADAC, Emotion, HQPlayer, Oppo95
        Electronics-Herron VTSP3APre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
        Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
        Other-ArtKelmGroundOne IsoTrans,AudioDiskeSystemVinylClea ner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects, Power Supply
        Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Originally posted by rockitman View Post
          So you recommend it and not the others by the same author ?
          I never saw the earlier ones Christian but according to prologue, each edition has added and corrected things. So this edition is probably the most up to date and last edition.

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2, vdh Colibri Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Fuuga cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• Rob
            Rob commented
            Editing a comment
            I had an early ed. copy I couldn't tell you where it went. I ordered this one, thanks for the heads up!

Originally posted by astrotoy View Post
          I have several editions of Phil's book, which were quite useful when I was accumulating my collection. I also bought quite a bit from Phil, who was an active dealer before he passed away. I am surprised at the 2012 publication date listed on ebay. I thought he died quite a bit before 2012. My last copy was the 7th Edition from January, 2004. It is blue in color, but has no publisher listed. I was a good customer of his in the late '90's and early 2000's, probably bought several hundred records from him. I just took a look at the book and there are some errors (mostly omissions) of Argos and L'Oiseau Lyres (including the entire DSLO series). My copy has 170 pages, a spiral binding, about 8" x 6" in size.

Larry
          This is a bound version and is 81/2 by 11-inches.

Comment

Nemzer as in David? Say Hi if you talk to him Myles or others. Haven't seen him in years. Good guy.

Comment

I just bought a copy. Hopefully I will learn some new stuff...
              Christian
              System Gear

Comment

Working...
              X