This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sid Mark's Final Rankings of the RCA Living Stereo Recordings

Was cleaning up around the house and came across old issues of my old magazine Ultimate Audio. Thought it might be of interest to collectors and newbies alike.

Numbers 50-25.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Fuuga cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171014_203019.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	67933

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Fuuga cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Name:	20171014_203039.jpg
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	67935

Comment

Name:	20171014_203052.jpg
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	67937

Comment

Name:	20171014_203100.jpg
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	67939

Comment

24 to #1 to come

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

Name:	20171014_203019.jpg
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	67933
              Forget about Sid - I am getting a kick out of the ads from way back when. Audio Outlet was my local high end store when I lived in Westchester County, so it's a blast from the past to see that ad. The owner, Frank, was a great guy and I bought some nice things from him. He sold me my first good MC cartridge - a wood body Benz M0.9. Looks like the store is no more, which I guess is typical these days.
              ---Gary
              Analog: Scheu + Immedia RPM tonearm + Koetsu Black + Pass Xono or Threshold FET 10pe
              Amps: First Watt F7, HK Citation II
              Pre-Amps: CJ Premier 14, Threshold FET 10e, DIY 417a with output transformer
              Speakers: Horning Eufrodite, Reference 3A mm de capo
              Tuners: Sansui TU9900, McIntosh MR78
              Digital: i7 Server (Roon) + SSD, Sonore urendu + Mutec MC3+ USB + Berkeley Alpha Dac, TEAC VRDS-T1 (modfied with G+D clock and driver)
              Power: Audience AR12, Torus Tot, DIY filters

Comment

Very interesting - and for me that is the Sid Marks article. Organized commentary on top Shaded Dogs is welcome.

if you could lay a page across a copier it could make a readable copy, or turn into a PDF so we all can read it. Thnx. If you don't have a copier to do this, pm me.
                Spkr: Wilson Alexias series 2; Amps: Lamm M1.2Ref; Linestage and phono: ARC Ref 10 and ARC Ref 10 Phono; TT: GPA Monaco 2.0; Arms: Kuzma 4Point, Tri-planar Mk. VII U2-SE; Cartridges: Allnic Arrow/Puritas, Benz LP S, Lyra Etna, Transfiguration Phoenix, Denon DL-A100,DL103R; Cables: Shunyata Σ / Σ NR PC/SC/IC; Pwr Cond: Shunyata Triton III, Typhons(3); Isolation: SRA Scuttle3 rack, SRA Ohio Class amp stands, ; Acoustics: Stillpoints Apertures; Audio cat: Finzi

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                  MylesBAstor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Maybe eventually. Our gym is under renovation and we don't have a photocopy machine.

Hi folks,
                I'm new here, so attached is my contribution to this thread.
                Disclaimer: there may be typos.
                My question, for Miles or anyone: does anyone have Part 2 of this article, Number One to Twenty-Four??
                Don
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by redcars View Post
                  Hi folks,
                  I'm new here, so attached is my contribution to this thread.
                  Disclaimer: there may be typos.
                  My question, for Miles or anyone: does anyone have Part 2 of this article, Number One to Twenty-Four??
                  Don
                  Glad to have you aboard!

Thanks for reminding me! Will post the conclusions!

Comment

Part 2

Name:	20171118_193036.jpg
Size:	2.88 MB
ID:	71147Click image for larger version

Name:	20171118_193022.jpg
Size:	3.02 MB
ID:	71148Click image for larger version

Name:	20171118_193006.jpg
Size:	3.43 MB
ID:	71149

Comment

Thank you Myles, for the additional pages.
                      I corrected some of the errors is my first post due to the OCR software, and added the final 24 best RCAs.
                      I hope that this will help others.
                      Don
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Rob
                        Rob commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That's very cool. thank you!

Sid's list is a great one. As Myles has said previously, HP got much of his knowledge about RCA's and Mercuries from Sid. Chad's reissues of RCA's have been very heavily influenced by the combination of HP's TAS Superdiscs and Sid's list. Most of the original RCA's on the list are super expensive to crazy expensive. However, there are a few bargains for those who are interested. (I highly recommend Chad's latest reissues if you want the super and crazy expensive ones but don't want to second mortgage your home).

Bargains for original vinyl going from the top of Sid's list (many are not on the TAS Super Disc list explaining their bargain price):
                      3. LSC-2435 Sibelius Violin Concerto Heifetz
                      4. VICS-1042 Strauss Heldenleben Reiner
                      5. LSC-2341 Mahler Songs of a Wayfarer, Kindertotenlieder Forrester
                      8. LSC-2342 Sibelius Symphony 2 Monteux
                      10. LSC-2610 Paganini Violin Concerto Friedman
                      12. LSC-2208 Rimsky-Korsakoff Scheherazade Monteux (the Reiner is a super expensive)
                      14. LSC-2395 Prokofiev Alexander Nevsky
                      22. LSC-2405 Sibelius Symphony 5 Gibson (a bargain in the Decca version Decca SPA-122 - Decca engineered).
                      24. LSC-2328 Tchaikovsky Nutcracker hts Reiner

From the second group other bargains include 26, 35, 36, 37,38,44,46,49.50,52.

BTW, I have originals of all of the top 52 except for 11. Royal Ballet (have the Classics45 and Chad's reissues, and 15ips 2 track tape master dub) 33. Walton/Lecocq (Classic45 reissue and 15ips 2 track master dub) and 34. Sound of Wagner Stokowski (don't have).

If you want very fine digital versions of some of these, I recommend High Definition Tape Transfers (HDTT.com). Bob Witrak transfers 15ips 2track tapes to hirez digital (DSD256 or DXD352 - with lower resolutions cheaper). He has 8, 20, 21, 22, 24, 33, 45, 47, 48. I have all of these in his downloads. They are from $22 to $26 per download with frequent 20% off sales. (Today for Cyber Monday they are 30% off, with an extra 10% for orders over $100.)

Larry
                      Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre
                      Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacMicroModel2
                      Dig Play-mch NADAC, Emotion, HQPlayer, Oppo95
                      Electronics-Herron VTSP3APre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
                      Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
                      Other-ArtKelmGroundOne IsoTrans,AudioDiskeSystemVinylClea ner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects, Power Supply
                      Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

• tima
                        tima commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks Larry.
                    Working...
                    X