Warner Classics pressings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warner Classics pressings

What is the general consensus on Warner Classic LP pressings? In particular I am interested in the Markevitch version of Stravinsky's Rite. I have an early French pressing but was curious as I haven't purchased any of these new Warner pressings.

Cheers,
    Jack Hill

This one? it looks like the latter '59 recording done at abbey rd in London, there's also a mono from '51. I don't know much about them but my interest is piqued.

Image result for Warner Classics Markevitch
    Simon Yorke + Zyx + B.M.C .> Soulution > Boulder > Magico

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

I have the Classics for Pleasure CfP129 reissue of the stereo, done by EMI in the early '70's.

Rob, thanks for reminding me of the earlier mono version. Turns out Testament also did a CD reissue that contains both the '51 and '59 Markevitch recordings. I got it from Berkshire Record Outlet for cheap.

Can't afford an original.

Looks like Warner is taking purchase of the EMI Classical catalogue seriously. Good for us. There are a large number of early EMI ASD and SAX that are in outer space in price (like the Kogans on SAX). And Testament has only reissued a handful in vinyl. Same with ERC, although their prices are in the upper stratosphere.

Just took a look at the Warner Classics website and the vinyl they have issued and are scheduled to release. Very interesting that about half are new recordings. Wonder whether they are analog or digital masters? The other half are primarily from three artists, Previn LSO ballets, Jacqueline du Pre, and Maria Callas. The Markevitch is one of a half dozen recordings by other artists.

I'll have to look in more detail. Two records have caught my eye. First, I thought I had all the recordings that du Pre did with EMI. There is a Don Quixote with Boult that I do not have. I checked on Discogs and it came out as a CD in the mid '90's. Second, they have released Oistrakh playing the two Prokofiev Violin Concerti on one record. I have the second on an EMI SAX which has the Mozart 3rd on it. According to Discogs the first that they have is a mono version from 1955. Anyway, some interesting stuff.

Larry
      Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
      Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
      Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
      Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
      Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
      Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
      Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	558.2 KB
ID:	94912 I’m actively on the lookout for ED1 HMV ASD 313. Commands a good price at auction.
        Christian
        System Gear

Comment

Good luck, Christian. In the description in Elusive Disc, it doesn't say that it is a digital remaster. However, many of the EMI reissues (like all of the Jacqueline du Pre albums and the Klemperer Midsummer Nights Dream all say they were from a digital remaster. On the other hand, several of the albums say they were from the original tapes. This one doesn't say either way. It is $22 so I may just get it.

I haven't listened carefully to the Classics for Pleasure version I have or the Testament CD of the mono and stereo versions.

Larry

Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
          Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,

Comment

• rockitman
            rockitman commented
            Editing a comment
            I’m happy to report I already have a copy ED1 I bought early last year. I can’t believe I forgot. Listening now. Wonderful recording/performance.

• astrotoy
            astrotoy commented
            Editing a comment
            Great, Christian. This may mean you have too many records. That is a pretty expensive one to forget about- especially bought just last year. Of course, I can't tell you how many records I've bought for the second time. :-)

I have the Du Pre Five Legendary Recording box set.. The writing on the back says from Digital Masters.
          Also have the Rostropovich 4lp set of the Bach Cello Suits. Had it for a while. Haven’t played it yet! 😲
          This reminds me to get time to play it.

SME 10, twin arms, SME IV with Lyra Kleos, SME 309 with Benz Micro Ace Mono.
          Garrard 401 with Ortofon 12" arm and Ortofon SPU Classic GM MkII
          Amp, Luxman 507u
          Speakers, Harbeth SHL5Plus

Comment

• astrotoy
            astrotoy commented
            Editing a comment
            I'd like to know what you think of the sound quality of the Rostropovich.. I have the CD set EMI released a long time ago. Thanks, Larry

• kensell21
            kensell21 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Larry
            Had a chance to play just side 1 of the first LP before work. I found it quite enjoyable.. No reference point to go by though. There's nothing on the box or booklet to tell me what the source was but I couldn't hear any digital feel of the recording. @ £40 delivered from Amazon, one of my best buys. No. 34 of 4,000. I didn't buy it when it was first released either. Seeing it on Discogs from $250US now! Vinyl is quite silent too.
            For me, nice box and booklet with a HiRez download too.

I’ll order it and compare it to my French pressing and the Classics For Pleasure and get back to y’all.

Comment

Originally posted by bassrome View Post
            What is the general consensus on Warner Classic LP pressings? In particular I am interested in the Markevitch version of Stravinsky's Rite. I have an early French pressing but was curious as I haven't purchased any of these new Warner pressings.

Cheers,
            Jack Hill
            Hello Jack, are you the same Jack Hill I knew 20 years ago? Larry

Comment

Hi Larry,

Yes I am!

Cheers,
              Jack

Comment

Hi Larry,

Yes I am!

Cheers,
                Jack
                Great to have you on board. I'm sure you have a lot to contribute with your years of collecting and listening experience. Larry

Comment

I compared the Warners pressing with my Classics for Pleasure pressing and my French (ASDF-155) pressing of this LP and here are the results -
                  The WB pressing sounds digital. The sonic decay of instruments are truncated and disolve quickly into an artificial silence. The dynamics are compressed. I haven’t heard the CD but I would expect this pressing to be not much different. The French EMI pressing was very dynamic with deep bass and clear, open highs. I would expect an English EMI would be a little better but these French pressings are held in high regard. The CFP is quite good but the bass is not as deep and there is a slight shrillness to the overall sonic picture. It’s better than the WB pressing so I would warn buyers to stay clear. This is the first Warners pressing I’ve bought and I think I’ll stop there.

Comment

I compared the Warners pressing with my Classics for Pleasure pressing and my French (ASDF-155) pressing of this LP and here are the results -
                    The WB pressing sounds digital. The sonic decay of instruments are truncated and disolve quickly into an artificial silence. The dynamics are compressed. I haven’t heard the CD but I would expect this pressing to be not much different. The French EMI pressing was very dynamic with deep bass and clear, open highs. I would expect an English EMI would be a little better but these French pressings are held in high regard. The CFP is quite good but the bass is not as deep and there is a slight shrillness to the overall sonic picture. It’s better than the WB pressing so I would warn buyers to stay clear. This is the first Warners pressing I’ve bought and I think I’ll stop there.
                    Jack, thanks for the review and the caution. Glad I have the CfP.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by astrotoy View Post
                      I have the Classics for Pleasure CfP129 reissue of the stereo, done by EMI in the early '70's.

Rob, thanks for reminding me of the earlier mono version. Turns out Testament also did a CD reissue that contains both the '51 and '59 Markevitch recordings. I got it from Berkshire Record Outlet for cheap.

Can't afford an original.

Looks like Warner is taking purchase of the EMI Classical catalogue seriously. Good for us. There are a large number of early EMI ASD and SAX that are in outer space in price (like the Kogans on SAX). And Testament has only reissued a handful in vinyl. Same with ERC, although their prices are in the upper stratosphere.

Just took a look at the Warner Classics website and the vinyl they have issued and are scheduled to release. Very interesting that about half are new recordings. Wonder whether they are analog or digital masters? The other half are primarily from three artists, Previn LSO ballets, Jacqueline du Pre, and Maria Callas. The Markevitch is one of a half dozen recordings by other artists.

I'll have to look in more detail. Two records have caught my eye. First, I thought I had all the recordings that du Pre did with EMI. There is a Don Quixote with Boult that I do not have. I checked on Discogs and it came out as a CD in the mid '90's. Second, they have released Oistrakh playing the two Prokofiev Violin Concerti on one record. I have the second on an EMI SAX which has the Mozart 3rd on it. According to Discogs the first that they have is a mono version from 1955. Anyway, some interesting stuff.

Larry
                      hi Harry,
                      im always after affordable classical LPs. Would you recommend the CfP129? Seem I can pick one up cheaply

SME 10, twin arms, SME IV with Lyra Kleos, SME 309 with Benz Micro Ace Mono.
                      Garrard 401 with Ortofon 12" arm and Ortofon SPU Classic GM MkII
                      Amp, Luxman 507u
                      Speakers, Harbeth SHL5Plus

Comment

kensell21,
                        I would recommend it. The CFP pressings are all quite good and a bargain.
                        Jack

Comment

• kensell21
                          kensell21 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks I’ll grab it

I still don't get how you guys enjoy the sonics of EMI recordings. Must be the performances...?
                        Magico M-Project, CAT JL7SE, CH Precision L1/X1/P1, Kronos Pro Limited Edition/SME 3012R/Atlas SL/Opus-1, Schiit Yggdrasil, ZenWave D4 ICs & SCs

Comment

Working...
                        X