Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MoFi's Kind of Blue - BORING!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • MoFi's Kind of Blue - BORING!

    A friend sent me MoFi's Kind of Blue box set a few days ago and while I had no expectations I'm surprised how bad it actually is. They've gone in and filtered the life out of it, typical of almost every MoFi re-issue I have, then level matched and compressed all the instruments so the music is now droll, horns have no bite or brilliance and sound more like you're letting air out of a balloon than anyone playing an actual instrument! Of course they had to boost the bass too so its omnipresent over everything else. I hate to say it but even my CD version is a thousand times better than this sponge!
    Last edited by david k; 04-14-2016, 04:49 PM.
    Manufacturer: American Sound Turntables and The Nothing Rack
    Distribution: NEODIO

    Special Sales: van den Hul
    Industry Representation: Lamm, Kharma OLS Speakers, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformer, Venta Airwasher

    Unique Items: Vintage Horn Speakers
    http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...stening-room-1
    http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...earfield-setup

  • #2
    this is not the first bad review I've read for this reissue. I'll stick with my original wlp 6 eye Columbia LP, thank you very much.
    Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-300 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

    Comment


    • #3
      Tough to beat the original 6 eyes particularly in mono. Jeff Catalano owns more than his fair share of these treasures.
      TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Ortofon Windfeld-Ti Cartridge, Harmonix-Combak platter matte & weight; Arcam R Phono Preamp; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner.

      Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer

      VTL 6.5 preamp Series II
      Pass Labs 150.8 Amp

      Piega C711 Loudspeakers

      Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls

      Acoustic Revive RR-888 Low Frequency Pulse Generator

      Shunyata Hydra 8; Shunyata AC Cords; Synergistic Research Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cord, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates & Blue Outlets, Furutech NCF Booster Brace, Audio Art Ref balanced ICs, MIT Oracle IC and Magnum Speaker Cables

      Sennheiser HDV 650 Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD1200s Headphones.

      Comment


      • #4
        This site has grown so fast that I can't find where we discussed the MOFI KOB before. As I said then, I really, really wanted this release to sound better than it does and perhaps the 45 rpm is a victim of such high expectations. After all, 45 rpm Kind of Blue?

        I totally agree with David. The 45 rpm release is lifeless, washed out sounding and lacks upper octave extension. Most of all as David mentioned, the 45 rpm release is boring.

        But as I pointed earlier, this release was cut from the backup tape from the session, not the original master tape used for the original or Classic release (remember Classic gave us the original and speed corrected). So it would probably be near impossible for the MOFI and earlier releases to sound the same. Why didn't MOFI hear this or was this the best job they could do with the tape supplied by Mark Wilder at Sony?

        From Stereophile piece about the SACD:
        "It was not until 1992 that Wilder discovered that the prime three-channel deck had been running slightly slowly during the first session, with the result that on the LPs and CDs made from it, the numbers on side A (the first three tracks) played slightly sharp in musical pitch. By the time of the second recording session, seven weeks later, the prime three-track deck had received some maintenance, so the numbers on the LP's side B were recorded at the proper speed. To get the proper pitch without adjusting the playback deck's speed, and knowing that the backup tapes had never been played, Wilder used them for the 1992 Columbia Mastersound SBM Gold CD remastering. Those tapes have been used ever since, including for the SACD releases."

        Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/thefifthe...t7gFobdFijQ.99

        Has anyone heard the SACD release? I am curious if it has the same sound characteristics?
        Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com
        ________________________________________

        -Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
        -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
        -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
        -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
        -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
        -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
        -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
        -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
        -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
        -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

        Comment


        • #5
          The 15ips tape sounds best. I need to hear the MoFi 45 again. I didn't think it was so awful at the time. As is the case with most jazz from that era...I prefer the original and classic records mono versions.
          Christian
          System Gear

          Comment


          • david k
            david k commented
            Editing a comment
            Haven't heard the tapes but nothing's like the original Monos.

            david

        • #6
          Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
          This site has grown so fast that I can't find where we discussed the MOFI KOB before. As I said then, I really, really wanted this release to sound better than it does and perhaps the 45 rpm is a victim of such high expectations. After all, 45 rpm Kind of Blue?

          I totally agree with David. The 45 rpm release is lifeless, washed out sounding and lacks upper octave extension. Most of all as David mentioned, the 45 rpm release is boring.

          But as I pointed earlier, this release was cut from the backup tape from the session, not the original master tape used for the original or Classic release (remember Classic gave us the original and speed corrected). So it would probably be near impossible for the MOFI and earlier releases to sound the same. Why didn't MOFI hear this or was this the best job they could do with the tape supplied by Mark Wilder at Sony?

          From Stereophile piece about the SACD:
          "It was not until 1992 that Wilder discovered that the prime three-channel deck had been running slightly slowly during the first session, with the result that on the LPs and CDs made from it, the numbers on side A (the first three tracks) played slightly sharp in musical pitch. By the time of the second recording session, seven weeks later, the prime three-track deck had received some maintenance, so the numbers on the LP's side B were recorded at the proper speed. To get the proper pitch without adjusting the playback deck's speed, and knowing that the backup tapes had never been played, Wilder used them for the 1992 Columbia Mastersound SBM Gold CD remastering. Those tapes have been used ever since, including for the SACD releases."

          Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/thefifthe...t7gFobdFijQ.99

          Has anyone heard the SACD release? I am curious if it has the same sound characteristics?
          Not sure if its just the tapes, this release has the same signature on some of the other MoFi re-issues I have. Same friend also send me Garcia/Griman LP and I made the same comments to him about the homogenized sound. I think its either their mastering, pressing or both.

          david
          Manufacturer: American Sound Turntables and The Nothing Rack
          Distribution: NEODIO

          Special Sales: van den Hul
          Industry Representation: Lamm, Kharma OLS Speakers, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformer, Venta Airwasher

          Unique Items: Vintage Horn Speakers
          http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...stening-room-1
          http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...earfield-setup

          Comment


          • #7
            Originally posted by david k View Post

            Not sure if its just the tapes, this release has the same signature on some of the other MoFi re-issues I have. Same friend also send me Garcia/Griman LP and I made the same comments to him about the homogenized sound. I think its either their mastering, pressing or both.

            david
            My comments on the Garcia-Grisman tape vs. LP. Remember the album never was ever released on LP until MOFI did it.

            http://positive-feedback.com/reviews...pe-overload-2/
            Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
            Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com
            ________________________________________

            -Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
            -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
            -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
            -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
            -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
            -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
            -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
            -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
            -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
            -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

            Comment


            • #8
              Originally posted by david k View Post

              Not sure if its just the tapes, this release has the same signature on some of the other MoFi re-issues I have. Same friend also send me Garcia/Griman LP and I made the same comments to him about the homogenized sound. I think its either their mastering, pressing or both.

              david
              Maybe mofi's general issue is the gain2 mastering system they use ? Perhaps it enhances the sound on lesser, average quality record spinners ?
              Christian
              System Gear

              Comment


              • #9
                Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

                My comments on the Garcia-Grisman tape vs. LP. Remember the album never was ever released on LP until MOFI did it.

                http://positive-feedback.com/reviews...pe-overload-2/
                "Regardless, the LP reissue is a very faithful transfer from the tape and I can't see anyone purchasing this record being disappointed!"

                You found one !

                david
                Manufacturer: American Sound Turntables and The Nothing Rack
                Distribution: NEODIO

                Special Sales: van den Hul
                Industry Representation: Lamm, Kharma OLS Speakers, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformer, Venta Airwasher

                Unique Items: Vintage Horn Speakers
                http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...stening-room-1
                http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...earfield-setup

                Comment


                • #10
                  You're a tough grader!
                  Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                  Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com
                  ________________________________________

                  -Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
                  -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
                  -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
                  -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
                  -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
                  -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                  -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                  -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
                  -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                  -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    whats the general opinion on the KOB mono reissue LP that came out a couple of years ago on record store day?
                    Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-300 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      I like the RSD mono reissue. Not crazy bout the 45 mofi as others have also noted.

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        Originally posted by david k View Post

                        "Regardless, the LP reissue is a very faithful transfer from the tape and I can't see anyone purchasing this record being disappointed!"

                        You found one !

                        david

                        David-I happen to have this LP and I have no other version of this album to compare it to. What I can compare it to is the sound of other LPs in my collection and I don't consider the Garcia/Grisman LP to sound homogenized. There is dynamic range on this disc and I think overall the LP sounds pretty damn good. I love the cut "Devil is a Friend of Mine" and I took the LP to RMAF last year as part of the records I bring to demo systems with.
                        Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

                        Comment


                        • david k
                          david k commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Its just too polite! My friends in college were all Dead heads and dragged me to GD concerts all the time, I remember a thin and even slightly out of tune voice, its full bodied in this lp and lost the nasal, course annoying edge that I remember.

                      • #14
                        Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
                        You're a tough grader!

                        Way too tough on the Garcia/Grisman LP. It sounds nothing like he has described to my ears.
                        Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X