Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Direct-to-Disc Jazz LP!

45 rpm to boot.

Looks like only available from Asia at the moment. But these albums tend to sell out quickly so jump on it if interested!

Click image for larger version

Name:	F1EB894C-AD64-443C-BE9D-BFD05D1F90DD.jpeg
Views:	387
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	145930 ​​​​​​​
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Nice catch. Whos your Asian dealer?
    Simon Yorke + MSL > B.M.C .> Valvet > Linear Tube Audio > Avantgarde

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
      Shun Cheong in Hong Kong.

Saw one on eBay but the seller said delivery in Jan-Feb. But it’s out now.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
        Yes, who is a reliable Japan dealer?
        PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Audion Black Shadow monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI Paramount preamp,
        Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, STST Motus II TT, Vertere SG1 arm, Hanna ML, Allnic H1201 Phono pre, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, LPS to Modem Router and Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cabling throughout network, Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire.10 awg dedicated branch circuits to amps bolted to power cords. Significant upgrades to 120 volt main power panel. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects. ADDPower Symphony and Electraclear. Founding Member Adio-Ultra.

Comment

I was just able to order from cdJapan.
          Speakers: Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III on Stillpoints Ultra 5S feet
          Speakers: REL Acoustics G1 Mark II Subs (pair)
          Tube Amplifier: New Audio Frontiers Ultimate 211 Special Edition Monoblocks
          SS Amplifier: Plinius SA-Reference
          Preamp: TW Acustic RPA-100 Line Stage
          Phono Stage: TW Acustic RPS-100
          Turntable - TW Acustic Raven AC w/ Black Knight Anniversary Upgrades
          Tonearm: Kuzma 4-Point 14" with Air Tight Opus-1 Cartridge (w/ EM/IA 1:20 Silver Wire SUT)
          Tonearm: TW 10.5" with Miyajima Zero Mono
          Vinyl Care: Furutech DF-2 LP Flattener - Degritter Ultrasonic & VPI Cyclone RCM
          Tape: Tascam 42B-NB (Refurb by Soren Wittrup)
          Tape Stage: Doshi V.3 Tape Stage
          CD/SACD: Playback Designs MP-5
          Streamer/Server: Aurender N20 to Bricasti M1 DAC, EtherREGEN, Farad Super3 PS w/ Level 2 DC Cable, Sablon Audio Ethernet Cable
          Power Conditioner: (2) Silver Circle Audio TCHAIK 6
          Wire: Custom Furutech PC's + Audience Front Row IC's & Speaker Cables
          Tweaks: Stillpoints Aperture II Panels & Stillpoints Ultra 5S's & SS's sprinkled about - DS Audio ION-001 Vinyl Ionizer - SRA Scuttle III Rack, SRA Ohio Class and Symposium Super Plus Platforms

Comment

• Kingrex
            Kingrex commented
            Editing a comment
            I saw that, but for $54 I thought it was a cd. How much was shipping.

Originally posted by timztunz View Post
          I was just able to order from cdJapan.
          I saw that but did you see the delivery date?

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

Release date was yesterday and my confirmation says ship in 3-7 days. Kingrex, I opted for 2-3 day DHL and all in was like $90.
            Tonearm: Kuzma 4-Point 14" with Air Tight Opus-1 Cartridge (w/ EM/IA 1:20 Silver Wire SUT)
            Streamer/Server: Aurender N20 to Bricasti M1 DAC, EtherREGEN, Farad Super3 PS w/ Level 2 DC Cable, Sablon Audio Ethernet Cable
            Tweaks: Stillpoints Aperture II Panels & Stillpoints Ultra 5S's & SS's sprinkled about - DS Audio ION-001 Vinyl Ionizer - SRA Scuttle III Rack, SRA Ohio Class and Symposium Super Plus Platforms

Comment

I bought it too. $90
              And then I realized, why didn't I call 2 friend and see if we should bundle the order to save on shipping.
              PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Audion Black Shadow monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI Paramount preamp,
              Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, STST Motus II TT, Vertere SG1 arm, Hanna ML, Allnic H1201 Phono pre, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, LPS to Modem Router and Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cabling throughout network, Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire.10 awg dedicated branch circuits to amps bolted to power cords. Significant upgrades to 120 volt main power panel. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects. ADDPower Symphony and Electraclear. Founding Member Adio-Ultra.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

Ok, they tricked me. Order confirmation said ship in 3-4 days. Today I got an order update that it won’t ship for 3-4 WEEKS. :-(

Comment

I went over to Shun Cheong this afternoon and picked up the Congo Blue LPs. I auditioned the LPs tonight and compared it to three other direct to disk jazz recordings. I gave all of them a quick wash with the Degritter record cleaner first before listening.
                  All four recordings have the unique qualities of D2D LPs in spades; quiet background, transparency, immediacy and stunning dynamics. I had been listening pretty much exclusively to R2R for the past 3 months, but I did not find these LPs lacking in any way. In fact, the lack of tape hiss makes them even more appealing. Since they are recordings of small ensembles and the dynamic range is limited, these D2D recordings are entirely competitive with master tapes. However, I doubt anyone could say the same for large orchestral recordings. The only impressive D2D recording of orchestral work is the Japanese RCA LP Orchestrations Astromantic, but even then, the dynamics is restricted compared to a master tape.
                  First, I put on the Congo Blue LP. The sound is lively, but the double bass is a bit too dominant in my opinion. The plucked sound has good elasticity and aftertone. The drums have excellent impact, with solid cymbals strikes and well controlled ringing. The piano sound is also solid with good impact. The soundstage is within the limits of the speakers, but with realistic image size and proportion of the three instruments. Overall, the sound is natural and musical, not as hi fi as, for example, the Three Blind Mice recordings such as Midnight Sugar. I would have preferred a more balanced sound with the double bass not as upfront, but this is just a small nit to pick. The performance is polished and musical, and I found myself tapping my foot with the plucking of the bass. Direct to disk recordings can put musicians under a lot of pressure, even more so than in a concert. Small mistakes are generally overlooked in live performances, but people expect perfection in recordings. This pressure often results in an over-cautious performance. I do not get that feeling in this recording, which is relaxed and flowing. A very enjoyable musical performance coupled with an excellent sound.
                  I put on the Warren Smith and Toki recording next, which is also a 45RPM D2D LP. This recording sounds more closely miked. The drums sound more upfront, and the dynamics is almost overwhelming. It is a highly realistic sound and captures the tone of the different drums well. There is more reverberation, which I think is natural and not added, giving more of a sense of space. There are only two instruments in this recording, saxophone and drums, but the imaging is more spread out. The music itself is avant garde, more Miles Davies than big band jazz. It is a more impressive recording in a hi fi sense, but less natural and musical than the Congo Blue LPs. A recording to impress audiophiles as opposed to an enjoy the music LP.
                  I then put on the Eiji Kitamura LP, which, in my opinion, together with For Duke is a standard bearer for D2D recordings as well as jazz recordings in general. This recording has a wider soundstage, which extends beyond the speakers. The sound has everything an audiophile would care about: clarity, macro- and micro-dynamics, depth of image, sense of the recording space and just a realistic solidity to the sound. The balance is impeccable, and the listener can follow the ebb and flow of the clarinet, and gets completely drawn in by the music. The performance is also impeccable, totally relaxed and spontaneous, yet highly polished. I don't know how many lacquer disks the engineers have trashed to achieve such a result, knowing how fastidious and perfectionist the Japanese can be, but one can hardly ask for any more than this.
                  For Duke is justly famous for both the recording and the performance. There is nothing to choose between this and the Eiji Kitamura. This recording sounds more scintillating, probably just a function of the types of instruments and the music. Every instrument is portrayed individually as it should be, with realistic texture and body, yet they meld into the whole sound field together to give a complete picture of the band and the performance. This is like an impressionist painting, which gives you a different perspective when looking from afar, and yet plenty of details should you care to look closely. The reverberation of the recording venue was just right, giving the cymbals just the right amount of sonority and decay, while still retaining the clarity and separation of each instrument. The performance is first rate.
                  I would place Congo Blue not quite at the same level as For Duke and Swing Sessions, but close. In this case, the unique qualities of D2D recording come through to enhance the enjoyment of the music, and not merely to impress those with audiophile sensibilities. If I were to impress a fellow audiophile, I would choose the Warren Smith/Toki LP, and Midnight Sugar (not a D2D, but approaching that level of dynamics). But I would put on any of the other three D2D recordings for an evening of musical enjoyment.

Comment

• Rob
                    Rob commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for reporting on the Congo Blue, based on your comments ill pass on importing it. I'll buy if it shows up at one of the usual online outlets in the States. I've got the other three discs you used in your comparison and can relate to your observations.

Name:	20201221_225048.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	147064

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Originally posted by adrianwu View Post
                    I went over to Shun Cheong this afternoon and picked up the Congo Blue LPs. I auditioned the LPs tonight and compared it to three other direct to disk jazz recordings. I gave all of them a quick wash with the Degritter record cleaner first before listening.
                    All four recordings have the unique qualities of D2D LPs in spades; quiet background, transparency, immediacy and stunning dynamics. I had been listening pretty much exclusively to R2R for the past 3 months, but I did not find these LPs lacking in any way. In fact, the lack of tape hiss makes them even more appealing. Since they are recordings of small ensembles and the dynamic range is limited, these D2D recordings are entirely competitive with master tapes. However, I doubt anyone could say the same for large orchestral recordings. The only impressive D2D recording of orchestral work is the Japanese RCA LP Orchestrations Astromantic, but even then, the dynamics is restricted compared to a master tape.
                    First, I put on the Congo Blue LP. The sound is lively, but the double bass is a bit too dominant in my opinion. The plucked sound has good elasticity and aftertone. The drums have excellent impact, with solid cymbals strikes and well controlled ringing. The piano sound is also solid with good impact. The soundstage is within the limits of the speakers, but with realistic image size and proportion of the three instruments. Overall, the sound is natural and musical, not as hi fi as, for example, the Three Blind Mice recordings such as Midnight Sugar. I would have preferred a more balanced sound with the double bass not as upfront, but this is just a small nit to pick. The performance is polished and musical, and I found myself tapping my foot with the plucking of the bass. Direct to disk recordings can put musicians under a lot of pressure, even more so than in a concert. Small mistakes are generally overlooked in live performances, but people expect perfection in recordings. This pressure often results in an over-cautious performance. I do not get that feeling in this recording, which is relaxed and flowing. A very enjoyable musical performance coupled with an excellent sound.
                    I put on the Warren Smith and Toki recording next, which is also a 45RPM D2D LP. This recording sounds more closely miked. The drums sound more upfront, and the dynamics is almost overwhelming. It is a highly realistic sound and captures the tone of the different drums well. There is more reverberation, which I think is natural and not added, giving more of a sense of space. There are only two instruments in this recording, saxophone and drums, but the imaging is more spread out. The music itself is avant garde, more Miles Davies than big band jazz. It is a more impressive recording in a hi fi sense, but less natural and musical than the Congo Blue LPs. A recording to impress audiophiles as opposed to an enjoy the music LP.
                    I then put on the Eiji Kitamura LP, which, in my opinion, together with For Duke is a standard bearer for D2D recordings as well as jazz recordings in general. This recording has a wider soundstage, which extends beyond the speakers. The sound has everything an audiophile would care about: clarity, macro- and micro-dynamics, depth of image, sense of the recording space and just a realistic solidity to the sound. The balance is impeccable, and the listener can follow the ebb and flow of the clarinet, and gets completely drawn in by the music. The performance is also impeccable, totally relaxed and spontaneous, yet highly polished. I don't know how many lacquer disks the engineers have trashed to achieve such a result, knowing how fastidious and perfectionist the Japanese can be, but one can hardly ask for any more than this.
                    For Duke is justly famous for both the recording and the performance. There is nothing to choose between this and the Eiji Kitamura. This recording sounds more scintillating, probably just a function of the types of instruments and the music. Every instrument is portrayed individually as it should be, with realistic texture and body, yet they meld into the whole sound field together to give a complete picture of the band and the performance. This is like an impressionist painting, which gives you a different perspective when looking from afar, and yet plenty of details should you care to look closely. The reverberation of the recording venue was just right, giving the cymbals just the right amount of sonority and decay, while still retaining the clarity and separation of each instrument. The performance is first rate.
                    I would place Congo Blue not quite at the same level as For Duke and Swing Sessions, but close. In this case, the unique qualities of D2D recording come through to enhance the enjoyment of the music, and not merely to impress those with audiophile sensibilities. If I were to impress a fellow audiophile, I would choose the Warren Smith/Toki LP, and Midnight Sugar (not a D2D, but approaching that level of dynamics). But I would put on any of the other three D2D recordings for an evening of musical enjoyment.
                    Thanks for the in depth comparisons!

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Just received mine.

Poodle not impressed.. but he may just be feeling lazy.

Name:	winstoncb.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	147244
                      Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
                      Brinkmann Balance & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
                      Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
                      Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
                      Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
                      Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

• kcin
                        kcin commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Japanese Jazz not your thing mep?

• Rob
                        Rob commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Anyone can learn to play jazz, the question is whether they can PLAY it

• mep
                        mep commented
                        Editing a comment
                        No, Japanese Jazz isn’t my thing and I won’t appreciate it anymore because it’s D2D.

I am happy with mine. I like the music and its a great recording. Accidentally I played side 4 at 33rpm and thought the music was pretty good. I got a decent laugh out of that. I need to play it at 45 and see what its really all about.

Comment

• Rob
                        Rob commented
                        Editing a comment
                        this reminds me of an incident at a club meeting enjoying a piano LP. That was until a musician walks in and says our 'table is running fast, like real fast. we put a strobe on it and sure enough it was, not like 45 vs 33 rpm but huge nonetheless. I don't think I've ever felt so impotent as an audiophile than that moment, like tits on a bull. And to think 'philes sweat over slight speed discrepancies, i.e. 33.35 or 33.29 rpm when a room of audiophiles couldn't detect a 15% deviation (what we later discovered).

• Kingrex
                        Kingrex commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Haaaa. Funny.
                        My Otari tape has a button you pull out to adjust the speed, then push back in to lock the speed. I had pulled it out at some time and my deck was then running pretty fast. I didn't know till I had my tape player at a friends and we were A/B to digital. My tape was quite fast. I dialed it back to match the speed the digital was playing at. I figured that was probably accurate.

FWIW, that is another reason I like digital. I use it as a measuring gauge to other sources. Speed on my tape turned out to be one of those situations.
                    Working...
                    X