Howlin' Wolf....recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howlin' Wolf....recommendations?

I have the London Howlin' Wolf Sessions on vinyl, but I'd like to get some more material. Are there any albums you would recommend?
    Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

I do not know if this is of interest to you Johnny but the Paul Butterfield blues band had about half of Howling Wolfs band in its make up.

Comment

• Johnny Vinyl
      Johnny Vinyl commented
      Editing a comment
      I like the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, but wasn't aware of it. I'll check it out as well. Thanks!

John, he recorded for Chess in his heyday, which isn't necessarily the best vinyl, but the Real Folk Blues is considered important, there is also a later comprehensive set, I think it's called The Chess Set (but probably on MCA) that includes a lot of stuff- a huge compilation. I don't think he's gotten much attention by the audiophile reissue labels, but may be wrong. There is a great video of him leaning against a bar indoors at Newport in the mid-60's, listening to Skip James. While you are poking around at videos, check out Otis Rush, there's one of him doing I Can't Quit you Baby from an auditorium in what looks like the early '60s- all the college kids are wearing suits- he holds the opening note forever. Love that era of blues. If you can reach Bob Koester at the Chicago Jazz Record Mart (he's pretty up there in years) he knew all those guys and could steer you in the right direction. There's a guy in his shop whose name I forget who is also helpful. Not sure what's up with that store though, it may have moved.
    I checked, he just sold the entire inventory to Wolfgang's Vault. But, he still owns Delmark, so even though they were competitors of Chess, he knows this stuff like nobody else- and he's pretty friendly- sort of a legend.

Comment

look up the albums and compilations discography at allmusic.com look for 3 to 5 star ratings
      Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

• JCOConnell
        JCOConnell commented
        Editing a comment
        the 1962 self titled album with songs all penned by willie Dixon probably would be a safe bet

Thanks guys! I'm going to spend some time on youtube over the next few days and see what I come up with.
      Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

Working...
      X