Stinky Davis Mofi Lp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stinky Davis Mofi Lp

Ive been going thru some of my older mofi Lps that I haven't listened to in years. I decided to spin Miles Davis Someday My Prince Will Come. This is from the early 80's mofi reissue. All I can say is avoid it like the plague. The upper midrange and treble are rolled so bad you have to think its a botched mastering job where the tape machine wasn't
    properly setup or something. Mile's muted trumpet sounds totally fake, and the cymbals from the drumset aren't even there hardly. Total waste of time. The music is good however,
    guess Ill have to keep an eye out for a clean original, hopefully that sounds better than this p.o.s.
    Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post
    p.o.s.
    That's MoFi, never had a single title of theirs that wasn't horrible!

david
    Manufacturer: American Sound Turntables and The Nothing Rack
    Distribution: NEODIO

Special Sales: van den Hul
    Industry Representation: Lamm, Kharma OLS Speakers, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformer, Venta Airwasher

Unique Items: Vintage Horn Speakers
    http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...stening-room-1
    http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...earfield-setup

Comment

• david k
      david k commented
      Editing a comment
      That's just how it's been Johnny...

• JCOConnell
      JCOConnell commented
      Editing a comment
      Not all mofis are bad, not all of them are good either....

• david k
      david k commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe not but all the one's I got sound dead and dull with boosted bass like the MD reissue!

david

I have a great pressing of Miles Davis, "Someday My Prince Will Come." The Classic Records 45RPM reissue from years ago. I have not heard that particular Miles Davis MoFi but frequently prefer other LPs rather than MoFi.

Comment

Look for an original 6 eye...

Comment

Ive been going thru some of my older mofi Lps that I haven't listened to in years. I decided to spin Miles Davis Someday My Prince Will Come. This is from the early 80's mofi reissue. All I can say is avoid it like the plague. The upper midrange and treble are rolled so bad you have to think its a botched mastering job where the tape machine wasn't
        properly setup or something. Mile's muted trumpet sounds totally fake, and the cymbals from the drumset aren't even there hardly. Total waste of time. The music is good however,
        guess Ill have to keep an eye out for a clean original, hopefully that sounds better than this p.o.s.

i have this record and a 6-eye, its fab recording and the last session on record with miles and coltrane together. i have no complaints about the Mofi 1/2 speed...this was mastered in the analog age with Stan Ricker at the helm, all good things in book. I even listed here in the Jazz genre:

https://www.audionirvana.org/forum/m...he-list-so-far
        TechDAS | Graham Eng | ZYX | B.M.C. | Boulder | Magico

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

• JCOConnell
          JCOConnell commented
          Editing a comment
          on paper its got pedigree, no doubt. But my ears don't lie. The final result is less than excellent.

Originally posted by Rob View Post

i have this record and a 6-eye, its fab recording and the last session on record with miles and coltrane together. i have no complaints about the Mofi 1/2 speed...this was mastered in the analog age with Stan Ricker at the helm, all good things in book. I even listed here in the Jazz genre:

https://www.audionirvana.org/forum/m...he-list-so-far
        Well the mofi doesn't sound as good as any of the KOBs I have, that's for sure. MY copy sounds very veiled.
        Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

That's strange. Not the usual complaint one hears about original MOFIs. No one I know ever mentioned the upper octaves being gone. Usually just the opposite. One wonders if they even had the master tape for the reissue. The only other time I've heard a missing top end like that is when a company (Chesky) used the wrong eq curve when doing the transfer eg. the LSC 1806 IIRC. David had to recut the album.
          Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
          Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
          -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
          -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
          -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
          -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
          -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
          -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
          -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
          -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
          -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

That's strange. Not the usual complaint one hears about original MOFIs. No one I know ever mentioned the upper octaves being gone. Usually just the opposite. One wonders if they even had the master tape for the reissue. The only other time I've heard a missing top end like that is when a company (Chesky) used the wrong eq curve when doing the transfer eg. the LSC 1806 IIRC. David had to recut the album.
            Yeah, usually when there is a problem with EQ on an early mofi, its because of an intentional "smile" EQ applied. (slightly boosted bass and treble).

Comment

Working...
            X