Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Johnny comes lately...Do you all know this 'review' blog?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Johnny comes lately...Do you all know this 'review' blog?

    http://soundevaluations.blogspot.ca/...i-magic_7.html

    Seems like the whole box and dice dissection of recording quality, track composition delivery, music notes etc.

    I suppose you all know this very well...seems very useful perhaps for studying or late at night....

    Eclipses most 'reviews' I've ever seen.
    Nefertiti (1968, Jan. or March?) Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab MFSL 2-436 (2014) Miles in the sky (1968, July) Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab MFSL...
    John M. Read PhD CPsychol;
    Oppo 103D SE, Cocktail Audio X40 SE, Marantz TT15S1 turntable. Marantz AV8802A SE, Burmester 897 Upgraded with phonostage. Emotiva XPA5, Marantz MM8077 SE, Finale Galliard 829B SE, Line Magnetic 518ia (SG Ver). Time Portal interconnect cables. Furman Elite Pfi 20, Power Transformer. PMC Twenty26, Sound Dynamics Centre and Bookshelf Dipole rears, Atacama stands, MartinLogan in-ceilings and rears, IDEA & Velodyn 12" subs. All SE by The Upgrade Company, Michigan USA.

  • #2
    Never saw it before. Like the historical photos and the attention to the gear at the old studio, mic placement, etc. Only thing missing--(perhaps I just didn't see it and it's there), is a comparison of pressings. Where is the writer based?

    Comment


    • Johnny Vinyl
      Johnny Vinyl commented
      Editing a comment
      The URL indicates he's from Canada and possibly Quebec (based on his name - Claude Lemaire).

  • #3
    Thanks for the link. His 'reference system' wouldn't be taken seriously by the audio snobs, which some observers might point out he's not properly equipped to evaluate sound (I wouldn't, just saying some would). I saw Bill's comment coming too, very few direct comparisons to other pressing of the same record. The Vinyl Press does a fantastic job at this and at minimum a requirement for any blog discussing the sound of a particular recording.
    TechDAS | Graham Eng | ZYX | B.M.C. | Boulder | Magico

    "Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

    Comment


    • #4
      Originally posted by Rob View Post
      Thanks for the link. His 'reference system' wouldn't be taken seriously by the audio snobs, which some observers might point out he's not properly equipped to evaluate sound (I wouldn't, just saying some would). I saw Bill's comment coming too, very few direct comparisons to other pressing of the same record. The Vinyl Press does a fantastic job at this and at minimum a requirement for any blog discussing the sound of a particular recording.
      Thanks Rob. There's room for all, I was a little hesitant to comment given that I do TheVinylPress. The biggest advantage and limitation is that I am relying almost exclusively on copies I buy and there is a limit. (I really don't like "borrowing" records from other collectors- since god forbid something bad happens on my watch).

      Comment


      • #5
        In a private blog I guess you can do what you want to do. I agree his historical references seem to be a feature. He never makes a claim beyond his personal interests, comparison is not really an appropriate standard I guess. It is a thoughtful reflective documentary.
        John M. Read PhD CPsychol;
        Oppo 103D SE, Cocktail Audio X40 SE, Marantz TT15S1 turntable. Marantz AV8802A SE, Burmester 897 Upgraded with phonostage. Emotiva XPA5, Marantz MM8077 SE, Finale Galliard 829B SE, Line Magnetic 518ia (SG Ver). Time Portal interconnect cables. Furman Elite Pfi 20, Power Transformer. PMC Twenty26, Sound Dynamics Centre and Bookshelf Dipole rears, Atacama stands, MartinLogan in-ceilings and rears, IDEA & Velodyn 12" subs. All SE by The Upgrade Company, Michigan USA.

        Comment


        • #6
          Great review. Imagine: a music review that makes an attempt to describe the sound! Not many of them. Bill is, of course, an exception, but I typically laugh at TAS & Stereophile's music reviews as they talk about anything but the sound (even though they rate it they don't describe it). It's bad enough that most music reviews (outside of the audiophile industry) mostly talk about lyrics, but an audiophile review should discuss the sound. How do the various instruments sound, what is the tonal balance, how detailed is it, etc. And if it's an LP, please discussing the pressing quality. And as already said, if it's a reissue, ideally some comparisons should be made.
          Magico M-Project, CAT JL7SE, CH Precision L1/X1/P1, Kronos Pro Limited Edition/SME 3012R/Atlas SL/Opus-1, Schiit Yggdrasil, ZenWave D4 ICs & SCs

          Comment


          • #7
            Originally posted by Madfloyd View Post
            Great review. Imagine: a music review that makes an attempt to describe the sound! Not many of them. Bill is, of course, an exception, but I typically laugh at TAS & Stereophile's music reviews as they talk about anything but the sound (even though they rate it they don't describe it). It's bad enough that most music reviews (outside of the audiophile industry) mostly talk about lyrics, but an audiophile review should discuss the sound. How do the various instruments sound, what is the tonal balance, how detailed is it, etc. And if it's an LP, please discussing the pressing quality. And as already said, if it's a reissue, ideally some comparisons should be made.
            I think Fremer does a good job, given all that he has on his plate. He does do comparisons and describes what he hears, but he's also publishing a lot of info about new releases. It is interesting that MoFi gets very consistent quality out of RTI, based on my limited experience w/ the 'new' MoFi.

            Comment


            • #8
              Originally posted by Bill Hart View Post

              I think Fremer does a good job, given all that he has on his plate. He does do comparisons and describes what he hears, but he's also publishing a lot of info about new releases. It is interesting that MoFi gets very consistent quality out of RTI, based on my limited experience w/ the 'new' MoFi.
              That's fair, I do appreciate his reviews, thanks for pointing that out.

              Yes, MOFI has great quality pressings. I wish ORG was similar because I like a lot of their releases from a music perspective.
              Magico M-Project, CAT JL7SE, CH Precision L1/X1/P1, Kronos Pro Limited Edition/SME 3012R/Atlas SL/Opus-1, Schiit Yggdrasil, ZenWave D4 ICs & SCs

              Comment


              • #9
                Nice to see a picture of Krieg Wunderlich, one of the engineers for MoFi, about a third of the way down on the blog. Krieg is my tape tech, servicing both my Ampex ATR-102's. I found him through Paul Stubblebine of the Tape Project, who uses Krieg to service the slew of ATR's he has to do the mastering and duplication of the Tape Project tapes. Krieg had to cancel out on a service call for me on a Sunday back in early August. He called the day before, apologizing that MoFi had run into some major difficulties and needed him for an emergency.

                Larry
                Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
                Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
                Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
                Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
                Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
                Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
                Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

                Comment


                • #10
                  Wonderful w/s...thank you!
                  Vbr,

                  Sam

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X