I've Only Recently Gotten Into Weather Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've Only Recently Gotten Into Weather Report

Thanks to the excellent and highly recommended 45 rpm ORG reissues.

“Weather Report was such a great, pivotal band. For so many they opened up a whole different way to go. Some bands were meant to be.”
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Once Jaco joined the band it was all over. The band quickly mutated into a slick vehicle playing a commercial form of fusion. If you want to hear the boundary breaking Weather Report you have to work your way backwards from Heavy Weather.
    PROGRESSIVE SOUNDS FROM AROUND THE WORLD
    www.lasercd.com
    www.lasersedgegroup.com

Rockport Aquila, Boulder 2010, Boulder 2008, Boulder 2060, Transparent Audio Reference XL, Nordost Quantum QBase8, TW Acustic AC Anniversary, TW Acustic Raven 10.5 arm, Lyra Atlas, Bricasti M1 Special Edition, SRA Scuttle3 rack + various SRA/Symposium stands

Comment

• Madfloyd
      Madfloyd commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting. I discovered them because of Jaco and haven't paid all that much attention to earlier releases. I will do so, thanks.

• lasercd
      lasercd commented
      Editing a comment
      The stone cold killers are:

Weather Report (the ORG reissue is phenomenal
      I Sing The Body Electric
      Weather Report Live In Tokyo (Japan only release on vinyl)
      Sweetnighter
      Mysterious Traveller

Jaco was a masterful bass player - I saw him play many times (sometimes out of his mind on smack) and even saw him wandering and acting crazy in the streets of Greenwich Village. While he brought his own thing to Weather Report the music became far more commercial. Heavy Weather is a fun listen but when you compare it to the early albums you'll know exactly what I mean.

• Rob
      Rob commented
      Editing a comment
      or work your way, way back to Joe Zawinul's earlier works before forming weather report (with cannonball Adderley and Miles Davis).

For me from heaven weather on and most infusion jazz to come is what I like. I never could get into pure jazz. While it may be great for some it's too bland meaning no hook or beat I could lock into. Now it may be great fir many never me.
    Stanley Clark , return to forever , head hunters and the lot is great for me. Maybe it was the fatty blunts that made it fine.
    I seen many of these artist in NYC and New Jersey . Avery fisher hall Stanley turrenteen and many others. Great times smoking out in the back yard before and during break. Wow great times for sure. Funny thing is I did not hang out in places like that with my white friends. Mostly black
    now rock and roll mostly white. I owed no one crowd anything ever.
    analog stuff.
    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
    sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
    new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
    thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
    thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
    kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
    phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
    speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
    mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
    digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
    Dacs lampi various

Comment

I like them both pre and with Jaco. I like the songs better after Jaco joined, and although in general the playing is less interesting than earlier, I wouldn't call any Weather Report "commercial" compared to all the bland stuff out there
      Last edited by rbbert; 03-28-2017, 11:28 PM.
      Tascam BR-20
      Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS
      Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS
      MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out)
      Pass Labs INT60
      Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s
      REL S3 (Kimber Kable connection)
      Daedalus/Wywires, Audioquest, Acoustic Zen, DH cables
      Torus IS5
      Stillpoints and IsoPods, Tube Traps, GIK

Comment

I've always liked "Heavy Weather" although some of makes me feel a little edgy.
        Thiel 7.2s, Manley NeoClassic 250s, Wadia 850, MIT Oracle V3 speaker cables, MIT MI-350 Oracle interconnects, Black Diamond Racing Shelves and Cones in a dedicated room with ASC Tube Traps, Room Tunes and 3 X 20 amp dedicated circuits.

Comment

I never got into fusion or electric jazz. For me its classic acoustic "cool" Jazz. None of this contemporary jazz shit either.
          Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mono) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Wow am I outside the room on this one.
            Mall I can say is we each have what we like what always interested me is the journey to get there. I can say I never was exposed to it much at s young age
            mom and dad were not into music period. My 17 year older brother loved the 50 ,s music
            as stated I hung out with many crowds and got Spanish , jazz my kind and Motown and rock. I don't of any of my child hood friends that had the diversity I did.
            Does anyone remember mandrill ?
            analog stuff.
            new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
            Dacs lampi various

Comment

My brothers used to play this so much the intro of Birdland drives me batty to this day. Dung, dung, dudung, Du Dung dudang. Aaaargh. LOL

Seriously though the rest is quite good.

Comment

• Rob
                Rob commented
                Editing a comment
                there was a local TV channel in the late '70s that used the chorus to Birdland as their bumper music (the gay, upbeat part) it was the proverbial earworm. when I was introduced to heavy weather I couldn't stand playing Birdland all the way through because of it and it was their biggest hit.

I have many artist that got way to airplay. And it killed me for life. Eagles for one. Myles perhaps a thread music that's great but I hate hahahha
              analog stuff.
              Dacs lampi various

Comment

I bought Heavy Weather when it was released, but can't remember the last time I played it. I should probably give it a spin, but frankly I've got other stuff to play first.
                Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

I have a few different versions of heavy weather. 45 ORG Rocks out !
                  Christian
                  System Gear

Comment

I've listened to Heavy Weather many times. I remember noticing that the bass player sounded like Joni's on Hejira. I tried several other Jaco Weather Report lps but never liked as much. I suggest Sweetnighter (pre jaco) and Sportin' Life (post jaco) and also Things Are Getting Better (Zawinul with Adderly and Milt Jackson).

Comment

I agree with Ken, early Weather Report is where it's at, although it's less "song" based, more free flowing stuff.
                      If I want to hear Jaco, just get this s/t on 2x45rpm LP, kicks butt and sounds incredible as well!
                      Disclosure:
                      Alma Music and Audio - La Jolla, CA
                      Aqua Hi-Fi - Audio Research - Audioquest - Audionet - Audiopax - Auralic - Aurender - Bergmann - Brodmann - D'Agostino - darTZeel - Devialet - DEQX - ELAC - Evolution Acoustics - Hegel - iFi - Innuos - IsoTek - Kii Audio - Koetsu - Kronos - Kubala Sosna - Kuzma - Larsen - Linn - MSB Technology - Music Hall - Ortofon - Solid Steel - Technics - Wharfedale - Wilson Audio - YG Acoustics
                      [ http://almaaudio.com ]

Comment

Whenever anyone says they are getting into a band and want recommendations I always tell them the same thing. Start wherever you want, but only buy one album at a time. Get to know it before you buy another. Don't go out and bulk buy a whole bunch - they will just run into each other and you will lose the cohesion that a single album gives you. Take your time. Take a year and explore the group slowly.

Comment

• Alex Siufy
                          Alex Siufy commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yes, yes! It's a consequence of having all that information avaiable instantaneously... People just go through tracks, not full albums... I've lost count on the kids who come here to store and ask for a specific SONG, and then I have to go and find out which album it's from...

Specially during the 70s, albums were made to be appreciated as a whole, not scattered tracks here and there...

Heavy Weather got me into 70s fusion jazz in the first place. I love that era. Have grabbed a bunch of used lps from then as well. Joe Sample, Bob James, Metheny, Spyro etc. Later on in the 80s it was all about Chick Corea Electric Band/DiMeola Return to Forever and modern Miles Davis. Just picked up Amandla on vinyl and it sounds awesome.
                        TT- ATLP120 mod> AT120eb (Lofgren), Denon 103
                        Pre- Emotiva XPS-1 Phono, McCormack Line Drive
                        Power- Parasound New Classic 2125v2
                        Dig- JRiver 20 server> Adcom GDA-700.
                        Speakers- Mirage M7si, Stax SR5, Stax SR34
                        Wires- Transparent, Kimber, AQ, Tributaries

Comment

Working...
                        X