Premier Club Member

• lasercd
    replied

Leave a comment:

• lasercd
    Premier Club Member

• lasercd
    replied
    If you like Weather Report I would suggest you investigate the 70s Italian band Perigeo. They were a very accomplished group of musicians and the style was a bit similar to Weather Report. One warning - there are vocals. A bit more obscure but definitely worth seeking out are the three releases from the German band Katamaran. They sounded like a mash up of Return To Forever and Weather Report. Intense guitar and keyboards and lots of flute/sax soloing.

Leave a comment:

• Boltman92124

• Boltman92124
    replied
    Heavy Weather got me into 70s fusion jazz in the first place. I love that era. Have grabbed a bunch of used lps from then as well. Joe Sample, Bob James, Metheny, Spyro etc. Later on in the 80s it was all about Chick Corea Electric Band/DiMeola Return to Forever and modern Miles Davis. Just picked up Amandla on vinyl and it sounds awesome.

Leave a comment:

• Alex Siufy
    Premier Club Member

• Alex Siufy
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, yes! It's a consequence of having all that information avaiable instantaneously... People just go through tracks, not full albums... I've lost count on the kids who come here to store and ask for a specific SONG, and then I have to go and find out which album it's from...

Specially during the 70s, albums were made to be appreciated as a whole, not scattered tracks here and there...
  • Bobm
    Premier Club Member

• Bobm
    replied
    Whenever anyone says they are getting into a band and want recommendations I always tell them the same thing. Start wherever you want, but only buy one album at a time. Get to know it before you buy another. Don't go out and bulk buy a whole bunch - they will just run into each other and you will lose the cohesion that a single album gives you. Take your time. Take a year and explore the group slowly.

Leave a comment:

• Alex Siufy
    Premier Club Member

• Alex Siufy
    replied
    I agree with Ken, early Weather Report is where it's at, although it's less "song" based, more free flowing stuff.
    If I want to hear Jaco, just get this s/t on 2x45rpm LP, kicks butt and sounds incredible as well!

Leave a comment:

• RandyRobinson

• RandyRobinson
    replied
    I've listened to Heavy Weather many times. I remember noticing that the bass player sounded like Joni's on Hejira. I tried several other Jaco Weather Report lps but never liked as much. I suggest Sweetnighter (pre jaco) and Sportin' Life (post jaco) and also Things Are Getting Better (Zawinul with Adderly and Milt Jackson).

Leave a comment:

• rockitman
    Premier Club Member

• rockitman
    replied
    I have a few different versions of heavy weather. 45 ORG Rocks out !

Leave a comment:

• Johnny Vinyl
    Premier Club Member

• Johnny Vinyl
    replied
    I bought Heavy Weather when it was released, but can't remember the last time I played it. I should probably give it a spin, but frankly I've got other stuff to play first.

Leave a comment:

• Alrainbow
    Premier Club Member

• Alrainbow
    replied
    I have many artist that got way to airplay. And it killed me for life. Eagles for one. Myles perhaps a thread music that's great but I hate hahahha

Leave a comment:

• Rob
    Premier Club Member

• Rob
    commented on 's reply
    there was a local TV channel in the late '70s that used the chorus to Birdland as their bumper music (the gay, upbeat part) it was the proverbial earworm. when I was introduced to heavy weather I couldn't stand playing Birdland all the way through because of it and it was their biggest hit.
  • JackD201
    Premier Club Member

• JackD201
    replied
    My brothers used to play this so much the intro of Birdland drives me batty to this day. Dung, dung, dudung, Du Dung dudang. Aaaargh. LOL

Seriously though the rest is quite good.

Leave a comment:

• Alrainbow
    Premier Club Member

• Alrainbow
    replied
    Wow am I outside the room on this one.
    Mall I can say is we each have what we like what always interested me is the journey to get there. I can say I never was exposed to it much at s young age
    mom and dad were not into music period. My 17 year older brother loved the 50 ,s music
    as stated I hung out with many crowds and got Spanish , jazz my kind and Motown and rock. I don't of any of my child hood friends that had the diversity I did.
    Does anyone remember mandrill ?

Leave a comment:

• JCOConnell
    Premier Club Member

• JCOConnell
    replied
    I never got into fusion or electric jazz. For me its classic acoustic "cool" Jazz. None of this contemporary jazz shit either.

Leave a comment:

• mkuller
    Premier Club Member

• mkuller
    replied
    I've always liked "Heavy Weather" although some of makes me feel a little edgy.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X