Miles Davis ESP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miles Davis ESP

I liked this review by Fred particularly how he highlighted the addition of Wayne Shorter to the group! Miles had never been happy with his choice of tenor sax player and at times there was outright disharmony between Williams and Coleman at times.

E.S.P., recorded over three sessions in January 1965, marked a major turning point in the music of Miles Davis. Throughout his life—as a sideman to Charlie Parker in the 1940s, a rock-jazz fusionist in the '80s, and the many phases in between—Davis was a restless spirit, a cauldron of change, the spark of several evolutions in the history of jazz.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Thanks Myles. It is true with the addition of Shorter the quintet went into a magical realm inhabited by few in jazz. This is my favorite group of all time. But...do not overlook the earlier, Miles Davis "My Funny Valentine" and "Four And More", a 1964 NAACP concert where even with George Coleman, the group brings straight ahead jazz to a celestial level worthy of any work of genius. That concert is the epitome of rhythm section playing and is the bible of comping (complementing or supporting other players). To boot Miles plays magically. George Coleman plays quite well. But the group interaction is as good as it comes and perhaps the best ever (except maybe Bill Evans' "Portrait in Jazz" is in that league) and marks for me the final statement for Miles and his group of straight ahead jazz. Herbie Hancock plays as well as he ever played before or after. A must listen performance. Listen to the performance of the tune, "My Funny Valentine", and you'll hear some of the best and surely the best rhythm section work you'll ever hear. Other performances from the concert are of the same level.
    Last edited by jonathanhorwich; 05-24-2017, 07:15 PM.
    JLH

Comment

Originally posted by jonathanhorwich View Post
      Thanks Myles. It is true with the addition of Shorter the quintet went into a magical realm inhabited by few in jazz. This is my favorite group of all time. But...do not overlook the earlier, Miles Davis "My Funny Valentine" and "Four And More", a 1964 NAACP concert where even with George Coleman, the group brings straight ahead jazz to a celestial level worthy of any work of genius. That concert is the epitome of rhythm section playing and is the bible of comping (complementing or supporting other players). To boot Miles plays magically. George Coleman plays quite well. But the group interaction is as good as it comes and perhaps the best ever (except maybe Bill Evans' "Portrait in Jazz" is in that league) and marks for me the final statement for Miles and his group of straight ahead jazz. Herbie Hancock plays as well as he ever played before or after. A must listen performance. Listen to the performance of "My Funny Valentine" and you'll hear some of the best and surely the best rhythm section work you'll ever hear.
      Funny you mentioned that!

post #2226
      Three albums seeing lots of play time lately!!! temp_174_1454022072409_828 temp_175_1454022091969_518 temp_176_1454022134692_163
      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
      -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
      -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
      -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Working...
      X