Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Archie Shepp and Horace Parlan- Trouble in Mind: Steeplechase Record Label.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archie Shepp and Horace Parlan- Trouble in Mind: Steeplechase Record Label.

This album has great material intimate and big all at once a fabulous recording on Steeplechase records from Denmark. Anyone have other experience with this label?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trouble_in_Mind_%28Archie_Shepp_album%29.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	56262
    Phono: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
    Brinkmann Balance & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas Lamda, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
    Amps: Custom Direct Drive, Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2. Bedini 25/25
    Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
    Speakers: Beveridge Model 3 Direct Drive amps, REL S/2 x 2, Quad ESL pair
    Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

A good album! Get the "Going Home" album by them too. More of the same good music. I listen to them both a lot.
    SOURCE: VINYL - EAT C-Sharp with, EAT LPS power supply, My Sonic Lab Signature Gold
    DIGITAL - Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC. Roon Nucleus w/EAT Lps power supply. Auralic Aires G1
    PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPX power supply.
    PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2.
    AMPLIFIER: Audionet MAX monoblocks.
    SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures (upgraded to Sonja 1.2) JL Audio F112 V2 (x2)
    CABLES: Kubala-Sosna, Kubala Sosna Xpander.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK & Acoustimac room treatment, Isoacoustics

Comment

What Tom said. At one time I owned the first 250 or so SteepleChase releases, my favorites were the aforementioned Shepp/Parlan records, most if not all the Chet Baker records were excellent and the two Shirley Horn albums got a lot of play time, IIRC there was a Ben Webster record too. There's a 6000 series that released rare european performances by Bud Powell, Jackie McLean, Dexter Gordon among others, great music but the SQ on these is variable. I would avoid the German Alto 180g reissues from around '90 they were universally inferior to original pressings (noisy, for one).

Comment

Originally posted by tom_hankins View Post
        A good album! Get the "Going Home" album by them too. More of the same good music. I listen to them both a lot.
        Thanks I will look for that one!
        Brinkmann Balance & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas Lamda, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
        Amps: Custom Direct Drive, Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2. Bedini 25/25

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
          What Tom said. At one time I owned the first 250 or so SteepleChase releases, my favorites were the aforementioned Shepp/Parlan records, most if not all the Chet Baker records were excellent and the two Shirley Horn albums got a lot of play time, IIRC there was a Ben Webster record too. There's a 6000 series that released rare european performances by Bud Powell, Jackie McLean, Dexter Gordon among others, great music but the SQ on these is variable. I would avoid the German Alto 180g reissues from around '90 they were universally inferior to original pressings (noisy, for one).
          Thank you... I will keep my eye out for your recommendations, I found that material and quality was excellent on this particular album.. looking for more. You've given me good direction.

Cheers.

Comment

• Rob
            Rob commented
            Editing a comment
            Happy hunting! i have multiples of the Shepp/Parlan...i buy them whenever they come up cheap.

There are some wonderful Steeplechase albums! The three that Rob recommends are excellent. I seem to have had better results than Rob with the 180 gram reissues. There's definitely a dozen Steeplechases that belong in collections. I will have to look the albums out.

This is is one that I highly recommend. Just remember that some of the later Steeplechases are digital.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3691.JPG Views:	1 Size:	137.7 KB ID:	56293

What I'm curious about are the differences, if any, between Steeplechase and Inner City. I've seen the same recording on both labels.
          Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
          Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
          -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
          -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
          -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
          -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
          -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
          -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
          -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
          -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
          -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

• Rob
            Rob commented
            Editing a comment
            AFAIK Inner City was a US-based budget label that also reissued other audiophile labels like Eastwind's D2D but cut from tape. If you play the Eastwind D2D "The Three " with Ray Brown Shelly Manne and Joe Sample (an awesome recording, btw) and the Inner City version, its obvious they were both from the same session but the performances were completely different! I do acquire Inner City pressing but only as a last resort.
            Last edited by Rob; 06-11-2017, 01:58 PM.
        Working...
        X