Fabulous Interview With Roy Dunann!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fabulous Interview With Roy Dunann!!!

Done a decade and a half ago. The purity of Roy's recordings continue to improve the better one's system gets. Conrad delves into the simplicity of DuNann's recordings--many the equal of RVG--from the mikes to the tape deck to down to the mixer to the "console." Another big part of the equation was Roy's work with Howard Holzer.

Of course Way Out West is a universal fave (well with the exception of one person) but what are some members other fave Contemporary releases?
    I don't remember the year, but I remember the moment when I first became intensely curious about Roy DuNann. It must have been about 1975, right after I moved to Seattle. I bought a Sonny Rollins LP called Way Out West, took it home, cued it up on my Thorens turntable, dropped the tonearm, and suddenly I was in a room with Rollins and Shelly Manne and Ray Brown. It was a shipping room with records stacked on shelves all around the musicians, but I wouldn't know that until many years later.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 and Thoress Mk. 2 phonostages; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/12-inch Fat Boy, Klaudio arm, Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Nice find Myles, thanks !

Comment

In case you missed the followup interview ..

Comment

• Bruce B
        Bruce B commented
        Editing a comment
        I was there at this AES meeting. Quite remarkable!

I see the back of my head (and my wife's head) are in a lot of the shots!!

• Spla'nin
        Spla'nin commented
        Editing a comment
        So glad that your group chronicled this. Even though time has past, quality lasts. Thanks to all for your contributions to musical history.
    Working...
    X