First Two Tape Releases

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Two Tape Releases

Click image for larger version  Name:	D80EE6CB-6834-4ECA-9CB4-265E9918208D.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	78.1 KB ID:	112822Click image for larger version  Name:	6D8538AD-6A31-43FA-BB03-CDDABF333910.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	131.6 KB ID:	112823Click image for larger version  Name:	B5371C51-B4A7-4E36-B1C6-2D87722B9013.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	131.9 KB ID:	112824Click image for larger version  Name:	F4EC71E9-E0B7-4880-9D8A-03F23A2AEF69.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	202.9 KB ID:	112825Click image for larger version  Name:	A3AC7244-62C8-4F59-8830-F18079282ED0.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	200.1 KB ID:	112826

The 2xHD release their two first titles on Analog Tape from the original analog master at Axpona.

Shirley Horn, Softly (recently issued by ORC on LP)
    Analog collection, Vol.1

All from original analog master!

Tapes are available in two formats:

2 tracks 1/4 inch/15 IPS/CCIR, 10 inch reel to reel
    2 tracks 1/4 inch/15 IPS/NAB, 2 x 7 inch reel to reel

We' will have a web site in the next few months (2xHD.com) but for now they can just email me at renefidelio@gmail.com and they can pay by paypal or check. Price on the tapes are $350 plus shipping for two reels.

Additional note. The Sampler is also available on LP too. Acoustic Sound s(quality pressing) mastered and pressed the LP using Doug Sax's tube equipment. The vinyl be sold on Acoustic Sounds' web site in few weeks but only 2xHD.com will carry the tapes.

Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
    -Ensemble Fuoco hybrid integrated amplifier
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

I don't get the -10dB for 10kHz.... You do that setting bias when recording... but not setting tones....

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce B View Post
      I don't get the -10dB for 10kHz.... You do that setting bias when recording... but not setting tones....
      Rene's response to your question:

Bruce ask for 1kHz and 10kHz at -10dB. Both tones are at the same time and it is for azimuth of the playback head.
      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
      -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
      -Ensemble Fuoco hybrid integrated amplifier
      -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
      -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

I have been a Shirley Horn fan for a long time since I first heard her "You won't forget me" CD in the mid '80s (I believe). It is still one of my reference recordings during my show&tell times. The "Softly" was recorded about the same period I see. I am happy to hear it was an original analog recording. I guess most of the major studios had already started to dump their analog recorders by then.

Also it's a good thing for us tapeheads to be able to get tapes from Rene. Many have said, there's no money in making tape business...I commend Rene for his labor of love. Now there are more and more quality tape sources are available, it's a good time to be a tapehead.

On the pesky subject of test tones...I would have thought 10Khz is close to a "rough" azimuth adjustment tone and one would need minimum 12Khz tone for the final adjustment or I would normally try to use 16Khz tone for the "fine" azimuth adjustments. So in addition to 10Khz, to have 16 Khz test tone would have been ideal.

I agree with Bruce that 1Khz and 10khz recorded at -10dB seem odd (unless the tape was meant to be played back on a consumer machine but two track consumer machine?). One of the main reasons to have the 1Khz tone that will playback at 0VU is to properly level match your playback setup (Normal Operating level in studios - the idea of having all of the equipment in the studio operating at same level so no level adjustments needed- kind of nice idea). We audiophile tapeheads especially want to recreate and playback exactly how it was recorded at the same operating levels - hopefully at the industry standard level when playing back the 1Khz tone on the tape that is as close to the master tape as possible. Guess one could offset the playback level with the -10dB tone supplied but it's more things to fiddle with than necessary. I am also lazy...

Just one man's 2 cents.

Ki

Comment

• Rob
          Rob commented
          Editing a comment
          "You wont forget me" was from '91. Prior to that Shirley took a long hiatus from performing. Her "Live at Vine Street" record from '87 (digital) was her first record since coming out of hibernation. She hadn't recorded in analog since her steeple chase days. The Mapleshade cut which is on this tape is the sole exception.

• Ki Choi
          Ki Choi commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Rob for correcting my memory.

I use the MRL tape alignment so no need to change anything. The production is new so I will change the Tone for 1kHz at 0dB.

Comment

Glad to hear about more tape from analog masters.
          Vbr,

Sam

Comment

Originally posted by ReneFidelio View Post
            I use the MRL tape alignment so no need to change anything. The production is new so I will change the Tone for 1kHz at 0dB.
            Awesome!
            Ki

Comment

Originally posted by Ki Choi View Post

Awesome!
              Ki
              Ask and you shall receive.
              SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek with an SME 3012R with Dyna XV-1S cartridge, VPI Avenger table with rim drive and JMW -12-3D arrm with Lyra Etna SL cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Originally posted by mep View Post

Ask and you shall receive.
                Happy ending indeed, Mark!

Comment

Rene, thanks for the information. Could you clarify one thing on the label of the tapes. It says 2XHD mastering and transfer. I looked on your website and it looks like you are doing digital mastering of the material for hirez digital files, using the Merging Horus and some proprietary equipment you have developed. Are the tape transfers going through the 2XHD mastering process before they are copied to the tapes you are selling? It seems clear that you are starting with analogue masters, but not clear whether there is a digital mastering that takes place before the transfer to the final analogue tapes. I started working with Dom and Claude of Merging more than a decade ago and still use their Pyramix software and Mykerinos card in my digital rips (at 192/24) from analogue.

thanks, Larry
                  Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
                  Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
                  Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
                  Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
                  Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
                  Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
                  Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Hello Larry, for the 2xHD tape project I use only analog to analog set up copy one by one. People ask me to do that for the past two years and I had to find the best way of doing it so the copy have no noise with full energy. So modified some of the equipments to be full tubes without op-amp. I am open to comment, what I really want is the best results possible.

All the digital in the studio are for Analog to DSD download releases of 2xHD. Sax Sax Sax is my last release in DSD. I will forward some pictures that explain the set up.

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                      MylesBAstor commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I asked more than a few times! ❤️

• astrotoy
                      astrotoy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks, Rene. Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

So the Nagra IV-S on the left side have direct output from the playback head to bypass the electronics and the IV-S is battery power, the direct out go to the Doshi tape head in balanced for low noise and after that to a Nagra T in CCIR. The Pultec Analog Tube EQ are used only if I need to EQ the master.

Comment

I just received the tape this morning. (Shirley Horn - Softly)

Short review:

Get this tape, It is that good!

Well done René, Cheers!

Comment

Rene, you list the price as $350 plus shipping for two reels. Would that be for the two different albums you list at ten inch 15ips 2 track IEC or for one of the albums on 2 7 inch reels (NAB)? Thanks, Larry
                          Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
                          Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
                          Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
                          Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
                          Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
                          Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
                          Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Working...
                          X