No announcement yet.

Salt City Six from Audiophile Records!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salt City Six from Audiophile Records!

Just ordered a copy. This recording has long time resident of HP’s list and the original stereo Salt City Six one of the rarest of all Audiophile LP releases. Even I don’t have the original version. Salt City Six was reissued in the early 90s by Joe Tumbarello on the Athena Record label and by Chad (?). Like most Audiophile recordings, Salt City Six is traditional NO jazz.

Interestingly at least five of the early releases came out on early 7-1/2 ips, 2-track, in line stacked heads tape. Rare as hen’s teeth. Bid on a couple 8 or 9 years ago but didn’t win any of the tapes. 😥

Rich Brown/U47 here bought Ewing Nunn’s (heir to the Nunn-Bush shoe empire) at an auction several years ago and is using them last heard for some of his recordings.

Click image for larger version  Name:	F68B3DC5-FFC5-424B-A132-776528330D10.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	104.0 KB ID:	127302Click image for larger version  Name:	7E16EADF-A93E-474B-95F6-BBC6092FAFF2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	95.9 KB ID:	127301
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers and Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 and Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Scroll down for Larry Forbes’ article on Audiophile Records that appeared many, many years ago in The Absolute Sound! Also some other interesting facts on the label.

Information about myself and my interests

-cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers and Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Thanks, Myles. Been looking for the original for 40+ years. I have the Athena reissue from 25+ years ago, very well done. The original is one of the two or three rarest of the list. I think the rarest of the HP TAS Superdiscs in the Penn State Glee Club Album. I got my copy when a fellow I know who graduated from Penn State and lives not far away, went to the Glee Club office and they went back into their store room and found a few copies, which he snatched up and gave me one! Larry
      Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
      Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
      Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
      Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
      Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
      Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
      Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

• Rob
        Rob commented
        Editing a comment
        @myles the Penn state. Pursuing TAS superdiscs was like an exclusive scavenger hunt, a journey dotted with eccentric characters only to realize you turned onto a blind alley or were taken (literally) for a small fortune in exchange for piece of plastic. Gawd, what a waste of time...often I wish I could have that time back.

• MylesBAstor
        MylesBAstor commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Larry. I don’t remember ever seeing the Penn St LP on HP’s list. I was the one who introduced HP to The Harvard Glee Club recording. And quite a few others. 😉

• astrotoy
        astrotoy commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Myles, Thanks for all your recommendations to Harry. Here is the first issue, IIRC where the Penn State Glee Club album is listed TAS#14 Penn State AJC-8 Penn State Glee Club. Larry

Here is another tough one to find. TAS#36 Richardson 70001 Eternal Father V1 US Naval Academy Choir Talley/Dale (original is RRS-1). I actually found both copies (original and reissue - which is the one on the superdisc list) in the same $1 bargain bin in an old huge downtown Sacramento used record shop, which had a very large number of rare original Mercury, RCA LS, etc. for crazy prices - multi hundred dollars 20+ years ago. There was an old owner and the store had cats running around (thought you would like that Myles), but there was the resultant detritus in many of the bins also. I was working in Sacto at the time and would walk over at lunch hour. One day the old man was gone and the young assistant, who had seen me many times, walked over to me and said, if I wanted to buy some of the rare records, he would let me have them for a very good price, which I did (LSC-1817 10S pressing, LSC-2241 1S, SR90283 FR1, and a few others, for 25% or so of the sticker price. The young man knew that these had never and would never sell at the prices on the stickers.

Larry

These are great recordings if somewhat limited in musical content, frankly they almost all sounded alike. Back in the day I stumbled onto a near complete collection of their titles save for a few, most didn't have jackets and came from Nunn's widow (sound familiar). IIRC they were mainly mono recordings even the stereo records sounded mono. I still have The Echoes of the Storm, Muskrat Ramble and Yellow Dog Blues (Chad's redo). Ultimately my collection of Audiohile label records (red wax w/ gold labels) were cherry picked and sold off for 3-4x more than the--obscene at the time--price I had paid for them.
      Linn Kilmax LP12 | My Sonic Lab | Channel D | Wadia | Innuos | Valvet | KR Audio | Klipsch

A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you are right, but not knowing enough to know when when you are wrong - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
        These are great recordings if somewhat limited in musical content, frankly they almost all sounded alike. Back in the day I stumbled onto a near complete collection of their titles save for a few, most didn't have jackets and came from Nunn's widow (sound familiar). IIRC they were mainly mono recordings even the stereo records sounded mono. I still have The Echoes of the Storm, Muskrat Ramble and Yellow Dog Blues (Chad's redo). Ultimately my collection of Audiohile label records (red wax w/ gold labels) were cherry picked and sold off for 3-4x more than the--obscene at the time--price I had paid for them.
        Yes the stereos started in the late AP50 numbers. The link about would confirm exactly where. And as you said, the red vinyl/gold label LPs are the originals. The reissues done in TX not so good.

Another good one is Doc Evans at the Gaslight. However-and haven’t played any of the Audiophiles in a while (have two new originals sitting here that just arrived and need cleaning)- don’t remember the stereos sounding like mono.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Working...
        X