This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sampler Tape Exchange!!!

What do members think about investigating the possibility of getting sampler tapes made for Audionirvana members that could be mailed around? That way, members could audition before buying different recordings. Hopefully that would result in more sales for the tape suppliers.

The labels I was thinking of:

Acoustic Sounds
    IPI
    Leslie Brooks
    UltraAnalogue
    Entertape (already have a 7-1/2 ips sampler making the rounds)
    Other suggestions?

Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
    -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

That sounds like a good idea and may work out for all...

Comment

Heck I would even BUY a sampler tape from most of those peeps (I have everything from IPI that I could want,but otherwise...)

so yes I think it’s a great idea.
      TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
      VINYL: Pioneer PL-50LII/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
      DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, Marantz NA6006/Pioneer N-50
      SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9, Velodyne FSR-15
      AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

I am testing this out this weekend so yes I may be interested in this plan. Thanks

Marty

Comment

It's a good idea.

They say that crack dealers give customers the first toke for free... So dealers recoup there investment quickly.

Comment

• timztunz
            timztunz commented
            Editing a comment
            LOL, “they” say?

would be a Great way of showcasing their work and quality!

few yrs back at Axpona.i asked the bossman of AS about the same topic, he kindly replied that audiophiles would only want to buy samplers and not complete albums. (cherry picking???) its 2018 and maybe the bossman changed his mind

Comment

Having had sampler tapes from both TP and AS I'm of two minds about this. Yes it could spur sales BUT as Purevinyl (name?) mentioned, this might be all you need from a particular vendor. SO, sell it. Also, tapes could be made available at some of the shows so you could audition it/them there.

Will ask Chad to bring one (or more) to RMAF.

Charles

Comment

Originally posted by stellavox View Post
              Having had sampler tapes from both TP and AS I'm of two minds about this. Yes it could spur sales BUT as Purevinyl (name?) mentioned, this might be all you need from a particular vendor. SO, sell it. Also, tapes could be made available at some of the shows so you could audition it/them there.

Will ask Chad to bring one (or more) to RMAF.

Charles
              Certainly possible but Jan-Eric at Opus 3 has done well selling his six sampler tapes. Helps customers choose when you [Opus 3] have 50 tape titles available.

But in this case, the samplers are just to circulate among members so people can get greater exposure to what’s available.

So far have definite commitment to the project from two vendors (IPI and UltraAnalogue), have one sampler (Entertape) and am speaking to another tape source tomorrow about contributing to the project. Waiting to hear back from a few others.

It is a great chance for members to hear what’s out there!

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
              -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
              -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
              -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
              -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• stellavox
                stellavox commented
                Editing a comment
                Great Myles - Thank you

OK I have commitments to the project from four tape vendors and am waiting to hear from several more.

Thanks to the following companies for taking time fron their busy schedules to make these samplers available:

UltraAnalogue
              International Phonograph, Inc.
              Leslie Brooks (Les will contribute separate rock, jazz, classical and other sampler tapes)
              Yarlung Records

I expect to have the first of the samplers by the end of June and begin shipping shortly thereafter.

So far I envision:
              1. Members keeping the tape for a couple of days and then mailing to the next person on the list.
              2. Mailing costs will be bourne by the shipper.
              3. Participation right now, unfortunately, limited to the US.
              4. Members of the tape "club" will email their me email address, mailing address, phone numbers and I’ll create a master list.
              5. I will only share the tape mailing order on the forum. I will announce when a sampler tape is available and then pecking order will be determined by order in which requests are received.
              6. I’ll create a sub forum for these tapes so everyone can share their favorite tracks with each other and Audionirvana members.

I hope everyone is as stoked about this tape project as I am! The first of its kind. Any comments or suggestions?

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Sounds awesome!!! Looking forward to the participation announcement
                TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
                VINYL: Pioneer PL-50LII/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
                DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, Marantz NA6006/Pioneer N-50
                SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9, Velodyne FSR-15
                AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

I am happy to announce that Jan-Eric Persson of Opus 3 has kindly donated Opus 3 sampler Tape #6 to our ongoing project!

thanks Jan-Eric!!!

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
                    I am happy to announce that Jan-Eric Persson of Opus 3 has kindly donated Opus 3 sampler Tape #6 to our ongoing project!

thanks Jan-Eric!!!

Great work Myles!

​​​​​​

Comment

“One” Open Reel Selection of Opus 3 Analogue Recordings, Vol. 6 AMC-26120

1. East of the Sun (Brooks - Bowman)
                      From: Lars Erstrand Quartet, feat. Kjell Öhman, ”Dream Dancing” CD 9101 5´09

2. Nobody´s Blues But Mine (C. Williams))
                      From: ”Tomas Örnberg´s BLUE FIVE and friends, CD 19102 4´53

3. Going Home (Trad. Arr. by Eric Bibb)

Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy (1809-1847)
                      4. Allegro di molto (Excerpt) – ”Lieder ohne worte”.
                      From: Stockholm Guitar Quartet, (Medelssohn-Brahms-Debussy) CD 9001 1´59

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756-1791)
                      5. Allegro (Excerpt) – ”Clarinet Quintet in A-major, K.V. 581”
                      From: Kjell Fagéus (Basset Clarinet) & Zetterqvist Quartet, CD 19301 4´06

Lars Erik Larsson (1908-1986)
                      6. Ballad: Moderato, - ”Concertino for double bass and orchestra.”
                      From: Thorvald Fredin & The Oskarshamn Ensemble, SACD 8522 4´46
                      Conductor: Jan-Olav Wedin

7. Dr. Jazz (W. Melrose - King Oliver) 5´01
                      From: ”Kustbandet Live in Stockholm” (only available as MasterCopy or DSD128)

Playback EQ: IEC/CCIR (35uS)

2-track, 1/4” at 38 cm/s (15”)
                      Catalogue nos. from the original albums.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	2 Size:	99.1 KB ID:	90127 Sign me up Myles! So do we PM you our personal info? Also, are we to expect a single sampler tape curated by you or several samplers from the different provider/vendors?

All my best,
                        Attached Files
                        Oswaldo Martinez
                        President
                        Let There Be Sound (Weston, FL)

•Open Reel: Revox A77 (1/4 track), Revox A77 (1/2 track), Tascam 32, Teac X-1000R •Cassette: Nakamichi 680ZX, Nakamichi BX-300, JVC KD-A8 •Turntables: VPI HW-40 Anniversary Direct Drive/Koetsu Black Goldline, VPI Avenger Reference/Koetsu Black Goldline, Yamaha PX-2 •Electronics: Herron Audio VTPH-2A, Herron Audio VTSP-3A/360, Cary Audio DAC-200ts, Mac mini, Cary Audio CAD-120S MkII •Loudspeakers: System Audio Pandion 30 & Legend 40 Silverback

Comment

Originally posted by vinylrules View Post
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	90127 Sign me up Myles! So do we PM you our personal info?
                          Yes but hang on until announce first samplers are available. Hopefully that will be by the end of the month.

Also, are we to expect a single sampler tape curated by you or several samplers from the different provider/vendors?

All my best,

Oz
                          LTBS/Phonogram
                          The sampler tapes will be provided by each label.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Working...
                          X