ABC Records from China

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABC Records from China

Anyone purchase any tapes from them? Website is much improved and they have a large selection of tapes (and music). Looks like a first class operation with an American engineer involved with the project. Couple of tapes caught my eye.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
    -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

I poked around their website, did you see any info clearly stating that their tapes are actually analog master tape sourced? I couldn't find anything that said so.

The tapes I looked at like the Louis, Nat, Willie Nelson, Kenny Rogers, and Crystal Gayle were all timed such that they would fit on a single reel. $380 for a @32 minute single reel tape...I dunno if that's a flyer I'm willing to take. I would want more detailed info from them first (but I might have missed it).

TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
    VINYL: Pioneer PL-50LII/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
    DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, MacMini > Oppo Sonica/Pioneer N-50
    SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9
    AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

Originally posted by Skylab View Post
      I poked around their website, did you see any info clearly stating that their tapes are actually analog master tape sourced? I couldn't find anything that said so.

The tapes I looked at like the Louis, Nat, Willie Nelson, Kenny Rogers, and Crystal Gayle were all timed such that they would fit on a single reel. $380 for a @32 minute single reel tape...I dunno if that's a flyer I'm willing to take. I would want more detailed info from them first (but I might have missed it).
      Yes, scroll down a little.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Ahhhh, Ok I see that now, thanks. Well that does make things more interesting!!!
        TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
        VINYL: Pioneer PL-50LII/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH

Comment

I bought five of their tapes a couple of years ago. Quite expensive, but the packaging, including numbered and embossed reels, is very nice. I had problems with one of the tapes - the first Royal Ballet tape (btw, the two Royal Ballet tapes total about two thirds of the contents of the two record set. In two or three of the Nutcracker excerpts, the end is pretty abrupt (there is no reverberant tail after the last note - it just cuts off). I asked them about it and they checked and said that their master tapes have the issue. Clearly, they are not the same master tapes that Chad (Bernie) used to make the Royal Ballet reissues for Classic Records or Acoustic Sounds. It is difficult for me to believe they had access to the master tapes, maybe safety masters or other copies. Anyway, the RB tapes and the others - the Perlman Carmen Fantasy, Starker Cello Fury and a sampler of popular vocal pieces, all sound quite good. Again, the Perlman is a compilation of, I believe. parts of three different EMI albums, not of a single album. It could be that this album and the sampler came from a safety master or production master of an album or CD of excerpts from different albums. I don't remember what I paid, but it was higher than the going rate for Tape Project or Acoustic Sound releases ($450 for 2 reel sets). Shipping from China also cost more.

Larry
          Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
          Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
          Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
          Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
          Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
          Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
          Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Originally posted by astrotoy View Post
            I bought five of their tapes a couple of years ago. Quite expensive, but the packaging, including numbered and embossed reels, is very nice. I had problems with one of the tapes - the first Royal Ballet tape (btw, the two Royal Ballet tapes total about two thirds of the contents of the two record set. In two or three of the Nutcracker excerpts, the end is pretty abrupt (there is no reverberant tail after the last note - it just cuts off). I asked them about it and they checked and said that their master tapes have the issue. Clearly, they are not the same master tapes that Chad (Bernie) used to make the Royal Ballet reissues for Classic Records or Acoustic Sounds. It is difficult for me to believe they had access to the master tapes, maybe safety masters or other copies. Anyway, the RB tapes and the others - the Perlman Carmen Fantasy, Starker Cello Fury and a sampler of popular vocal pieces, all sound quite good. Again, the Perlman is a compilation of, I believe. parts of three different EMI albums, not of a single album. It could be that this album and the sampler came from a safety master or production master of an album or CD of excerpts from different albums. I don't remember what I paid, but it was higher than the going rate for Tape Project or Acoustic Sound releases ($450 for 2 reel sets). Shipping from China also cost more.

Larry
            Thanks for your input Larry. I remembered you having tried the ABC Record tapes.

Exactly what I was wondering about. I figured say in the case of the Royal Ballet, they somehow had Ryan Smith (or somebody else?) make them a running master. If it was the master tape. After all, there's only a few places Sony will send the RCA tapes and as I understand, the studio has to be in NYC. But that goes against ABC Records saying they start with the master tape. So something isn't right somewhere.

I figured all they might have been able to make a copy of the master tape in the case of the Asian music recordings. The Teresa Teng seems to be an Asian audiophile favorite.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Interesting recent post regarding ABC that is troubling if accurate:

https://thereeltoreelrambler.com/201...or-your-views/

Comment

Thanks for pointing out the article. I will drop a note to Dave Denyer about my experience. Denyer writes about the copyright theft of his writing being lifted verbatim without permission or credit for their website. I saw some of the same issues with ABC Int'l lifting written material from the Tape Project website.

Larry
                Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
                Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
                Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
                Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
                Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
                Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
                Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Working...
                X