Scheherazade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scheherazade

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_8341.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.61 MB ID:	54385
    I don't think that it would be going out on a limb to say that this title was one of the most anticipated Ultratape releases. Reiner and the CSO's performance (originally released as RCA Living Stereo LSC 2446) has achieved near legendary status for both music lovers and audiophiles. For both the performance and sound of this 1960 Mohr/Layton Chicago Symphony Symphony Hall recording. For the string sound and soaring brass. In fact, my very first piece for The Absolute Sound covered the first reissue by Chesky Records back in 1987. Since then Scheherazade has been released at both a 33 and 45 rpm (Classic Records) cut by Bernie Grundman and 33 rpm (Acoustic Sounds) cut by Ryan Smith. Most likely, Acoustic Sounds will also release this RCA at 45 rpm too.

So so how does this 15 ips reel-to-reel 2-track sound? Just a little background about the tape transfer first. Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound started with the original 3-track, 15 ips master tape and then made a new 30 ips, 2-track. That's in contrast to just starting with the old 2-track mix down that was used for the LPs. The 30 ips tape copy was then used as the working master to dupe the production copies. And the sound with one small exception is a rousing success. First, the original LP only hints at the dynamics of the original recording. Second, the original (and many original RCAs) was a little bass shy and the tape has a bit better but not hugely improved low end. Let's chalk that up to Scheherazade being an early stereo recording. Next, the tape conveys even more of the sound of Chicago Symphony Hall and just the sense of space.

Finally the strings. The sound of solo violin and low level strings is exemplary. No make that opening solo at the beginning of first and second movements moth watering. The low strings have a definition and authority missing on the LP. Where the tape release runs into some issues is with a touch of edge with dynamic massed strings. This is probably just a reflection of the original recording's shortcomings namely equipment and one person even suggested it was due to an issue with the low bias settings of these early tape decks leading to a little issue with self biasing here. It's also there on the LP too if you listen carefully (I went back to my two original LS releases just to check here.) Interestingly, I think some of the limitations of the early cutting lathes was a blessing, in some ways compensating for some of the issues of the early stereo tape.

There are more and more tapes being released; in contrast to the old days when tapeheads picked up any available tape due to the paucity of software, audiophiles are now becoming much more choosy, only buying the most outstanding recordings. There's no question that any tapehead who loves large scale orchestral music should add this Ultratape release to their wish list!
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Thought it might be of interest to repost Michael Fermer's interview with Jack Pfeiffer of RCA that originally appeared in The Tracking Angle.

Part One

Jack Pfeiffer: The Last Interview When I sat down at last January's (1996) Consumer Electronics Show with veteran RCA producer Jack Pfeiffer, I had no way of knowing that I would be conducting the final interview he would ever give. Pfeiffer suffered a fatal heart attack on Thursday February 8th, 1996 at his RCA office where he'd worked in the Red Seal division for the past forty seven years. He was 75.

-VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Part two

M.F.:Now that whole "Dynagroove" thing. Do you want to.... J.P.:Well, I'll dispose of it quickly. Some of them were great, great recordings too. M.F.:Recordings yes, but.... J.P.:Yeah. M.F.:Once they got on to disc though.... J.P.:Well. M.F.:The difference was in the cutting, correct? It wasn't in anything else.

Comment

So, where would you put this tape on your reference tape list Myles?
        Source: Kuzma XL DC/4Point 14 inch/CAR60; Phono: Zanden 1200 Signature; Tuner: Magnum Dynalab MD-108T Signature; Line Stage: Zanden 3000 Mk2; Power amp: Lamm 1.2 Reference; Speakers: AlsyVox Botticelli; Grounding: Tripoint Troy Elite NG; Cable system: Cardas Clear Beyond; Stands: Finite Elemente Master Reference & Master Reference Heavy Duty; Power strip: Cardas Nautilus; Power filter: P.I Audo: BUSS Depot; Acoustics treatment: Svanå Miljöteknik AB (SMT);

Comment

A comparison between this and the SACD version would be most interesting. I imagine the Reel would win, but by how much?

Comment

..just as an aside, the violin solo is a popular audition request for major symphony orchestras

Comment

Originally posted by Audioraven View Post
              A comparison between this and the SACD version would be most interesting. I imagine the Reel would win, but by how much?
              I assume you are talking about the latest SACD release?

Comment

Everyone knows this is the best Scheherazade.

Click image for larger version

Name:	renaissance.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	54441
                PROGRESSIVE SOUNDS FROM AROUND THE WORLD
                www.lasercd.com
                www.lasersedgegroup.com

Rockport Aquila, Boulder 2010, Boulder 2008, Boulder 2060, Transparent Audio Reference XL, Nordost Quantum QBase8, TW Acustic AC Anniversary, TW Acustic Raven 10.5 arm, Lyra Atlas, Bricasti M1 Special Edition, SRA Scuttle3 rack + various SRA/Symposium stands

Comment

• Joe Pittman
                  Joe Pittman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I would love to have direct copies of all of Renaissance's master tapes.

Regarding best of the Best in Reference. Hiw many have had better and when they have done comparisons the margin shrinks ?
                analog stuff.
                otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
                otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
                sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
                new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
                thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
                thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
                kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
                phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
                speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
                mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
                digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
                Dacs lampi various

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                  MylesBAstor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I don't understand your question Al?

Ordered this a few days after axpona and still waiting for them to do a tape run. Still showing as pre-order.

Comment

• Joe Pittman
                  Joe Pittman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Their "first batch" of each tape goes to subscribers (12 tape series). Non-subscribers get copies from the second batch and so on. The guy who does the tape duplication is the bottleneck to production as I understand it... There may be other issues like packaging cost and subsequent lead time. I'm sure Chad doesn't want to have a huge capital investment in packaging sitting around.

• MylesBAstor
                  MylesBAstor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  According to Chad, the first four tapes have sold very well. He would tell you if they weren't selling too. So far out of the first four, the Masakela is leading the pack and Ben Webster bringing up the rear. Why the Webster isn't doing as well as the others is a mystery since it is a terrific recording.

And yes. The tapes get made when Gus Skinas is in Salinas. And Gus is very busy and in great demand for many projects. Analog and digital. Personally I am amazed Chad and Gus have churned the tapes out as fast as they have. Faster than The Tape Project. The bottleneck with Scheherazade was, however, AS ran out of tape. Not sure - and perhaps Bruce can add something here - Recording The Masters tape supply seems spotty at times. Demand or production?

• Greg Beron
                  Greg Beron commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Don Morris the distributor calls regularly and was in our room at Axponaa, he is a great guy.
                  i had a Skype call last month from Recording The Masters in Europe and they laid out some changes to increase production.
                  I ordered 2 cases of tapes two weeks ago and they were here quick.
                  So I assume they have worked out tape issues at this time.

I meant we buy what we hope is better by a margin
                and sometimes it even sounds much better. But if you do an ab it may have certain effects better like air. But if you break it down it lessons how much better.
                analog stuff.
                new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
                Dacs lampi various

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

I assume you are talking about the latest SACD release?
                  I was referring to this version, Myles.

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                    MylesBAstor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Is that the Acoustic Sounds or earlier reissue? David Robinson commented a while back that the newest AS SACD was better than the earlier SACD.

• Audioraven
                    Audioraven commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It's the 2005 Sony BMG/RCA issue.

• MylesBAstor
                    MylesBAstor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes I think that's the one David was referring to when he said the new AS SACD was better. I would bet my bottom dollar they just used the old two track mix down for that. Doubt they went back to the original 3-track master.

Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
                  and sometimes it even sounds much better. But if you do an ab it may have certain effects better like air. But if you break it down it lessons how much better.
                  Not sure what you are getting at Al.

But there are other factors here other than best of the best sound quality. As Myles points out in his initial part of this thread, the tape is made from a new 30 ips 2 channel master from which these tapes are duplicated from. NO previous issues of Scheherazade have ever been made with a new master. Considering the cost of a NM copy of an original Shaded Dog pressing, the outrageous price of the tape looks like a bargain. It's quite special. I'm waiting for my copy.
                  Speakers/Amps: Genesis G2.2 Jr with Powered Servo-Sub Bass, Genesis GR1440 Mono Amps, 5,000 watts total power
                  Preamp: SMc Audio VRE-1C Preamp (fully balanced inputs and output)
                  Analog 1: VPI Signature 21 Belt-Drive Turntable w/ 10” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Windfeld Ti Phono Cartridge driving Lehmann Silver Cube Phono Preamp
                  Analog 2: VPI HW-40 Direct-Drive Turntable w/ 12” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Anna Diamond Phono Cartridge driving Genesis Gold Phono Preamp
                  Analog 3: Studer A810 R2R tape w/ Bridge Console. Using built-in tape preamp
                  Digital: Lumin Network Player with Lumin NAS
                  Cables: Genesis Advanced Technologies/Absolute Fidelity Interface Interconnects, Speaker, Phono and Power
                  A/C Power: Extensive System Upgrades, Sub-panel w/hard-wired power cables, and IsoTek Super Titan Passive Power Conditioning for Amplifiers
                  Accessories: Custom Acrylic Equipment Stands, Klaudio Ultrasonic RCM

Comment

I am sorry for my post not being clear. I am not saying that tape is not great nor is that one not better. . My only point was sometimes our perception of how much better one might be better is hard to judge at times. I know it is for me. If someone like Myles says it's great I know it is. And tape rules the roost I feel.
                    and I doubt any sacd can best the tape it was made from.
                    A while back joe posted the Antonio farcioni quartet
                    I found it on tidal it was amazing. Since then I bought the cd and ripped it. By a mistral I ripped it to a lesser format
                    it sounded good till I played the cd again. But even when I did an ab of it yes it was better but not as much as I first thought. It was my point. If somehow I have posted to show anything against Myles or anyone's view I am sorry. It is not my intention to or my meaning. Sorry guys never do I mean to make anyone feel I know better as I clearly rarely do.
                    analog stuff.
                    Dacs lampi various

Comment

Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
                      Well we know tape will be technically better than the LP because:
                      1. The tape sounds the same from start to finish
                      2. Much less compressed
                      3. Stereo bass
                      4. Extended bass
                      5. Can be a generation earlier than the LP
                      6. No mistracking issues with upper octaves

And so on. Pretty solid reasons. Despite that, LPs get closer to the sound of tape.

Comment

Working...
                      X