Scheherazade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
    I am sorry for my post not being clear. I am not saying that tape is not great nor is that one not better. . My only point was sometimes our perception of how much better one might be better is hard to judge at times. I know it is for me. If someone like Myles says it's great I know it is. And tape rules the roost I feel.
    and I doubt any sacd can best the tape it was made from.
    A while back joe posted the Antonio farcioni quartet
    I found it on tidal it was amazing. Since then I bought the cd and ripped it. By a mistral I ripped it to a lesser format
    it sounded good till I played the cd again. But even when I did an ab of it yes it was better but not as much as I first thought. It was my point. If somehow I have posted to show anything against Myles or anyone's view I am sorry. It is not my intention to or my meaning. Sorry guys never do I mean to make anyone feel I know better as I clearly rarely do.
    That's life too Al. Take my field for example. People rave about their trainer but how do they know because they have never used any other trainer. Then they try a really good trainer and their eyes are opened.

That also goes to the old thread where why is it that one doesn't hear the faults in a piece of gear until you hear something better?
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2, vdh Colibri Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Fuuga cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      Personal trainer and nutrition coach.

• bonzo75
      bonzo75 commented
      Editing a comment
      Audiophiles should make a good client base

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      ūüĎć

Especially as Mark puts it DCPs.

But only one audiophile among my clients. I have inspired a few in the industry to lead a healthier lifestyle though.

Originally posted by Marcus View Post
    So, where would you put this tape on your reference tape list Myles?
    Ha! Still deciding because have a number of new tapes in house including two from Jonathan. Who would have thought just a couple of up years ago we would have this catalog of tapes?

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2, vdh Colibri Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Fuuga cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

I thought it would be ranked in the top ten easily considering the reputation...
      Last edited by Marcus; 05-22-2017, 08:33 AM.
      Source: Kuzma XL DC, Kuzma 4Point 14 inch, Benz Micro LP-S MR; Phono: Zanden 1200 Mk3; Tuner: Magnum Dynalab MD-108T Signature; Line Stage: conrad-johnson GAT Series 2; Power amp: conrad-johnson ART; Speakers: Avalon Time; Grounding: Tripoint Troy Signature & Thor SE; Cable system: Cardas Clear & Clear Beyond; Stands: Finite Elemente Master Reference & Master Reference Heavy Duty; Power conditioner: P.I.Audio: UberBuss with Furutech FI-E30 NCF; Acoustics treatment: Svanå Miljöteknik AB (SMT);

Comment

My copy of this and Pines of Rome arrives any day now. Thanks for the detailed write up on this recording.
        Christian
        System Gear

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

Ha! Still deciding because have a number of new tapes in house including two from Jonathan. Who would have thought just a couple of up years ago we would have this catalog of tapes?
          I talk to lots of people about R2R, both tapes and machines at shows where you have large numbers of people that pass through the rooms all full of questions, but also via email and phone on a daily basis. People contact me from all over the world with every kinda question you can imagine, some can be silly and weird and some very good questions. But the one prevailing question is, are there enough tapes out there to warrant investing in a tape deck?

The short answer is YES.

The long answer is the commercially available tapes out there today are prolific and quite good sounding because the music was originally recorded to tape, weather recently or long ago. The fact is the recording systems used back in the day were pretty good, playback systems not as good, but actually the recording technologies had the ability to lay down great detail on those old tapes. The old tape libraries by people like Jonathan Horwich, Jan-Eric from Opus3, Chads tapes, and Ed Pong's new UltraAnalogue recordings are all quite worthy of the new tape decks playback technologies available in 2017. I am continually surprised at the amount of detail on some of the tapes, especially when I've heard the music all my life and in various formats.

Does one really have enough tape choices?

If I sat down and listened to a tape per day I would not be able to listen to all my tapes in two years!
          But there is also an additional and important point, 98% of the tapes I have and I am talking tapes from various and far flung sources, sound flat out amazing.
          So my conclusion is, yes there are officially enough tapes out there to justify getting into tape.

Comment

So my question is, how much does someone need to spend on a tape machine?? Only a year or so ago I sold on my Teac A 6300 as it was becoming unreliable and I didn't know of anybody locally who could look at it.. And yes after moving it on, I actually found someone who works in the radio transmission technical side of things who has a deep interest in reel to reel. He has suggested looking at an early model Revox. As he said that they still have parts for them.. would something like that or similar be up to the task? Or are we looking at big money for one of the high end new machines?
            If the older machines are not up to the task of being used for the high end new tapes being released, were the early tapes released in the 60s comparable to the vinyl releases at the time? Or should I just stick to improving my small classical vinyl collection?

Sorry if I've interrupted the thread
            SME 10, twin arms, SME IV with Lyra Kleos, SME 309 with Benz Micro Ace Mono.
            Garrard 401 with Ortofon 12" arm and Ortofon SPU Classic GM MkII
            Amp, Luxman 507u
            Speakers, Harbeth SHL5Plus

Comment

• Greg Beron
              Greg Beron commented
              Editing a comment
              Tape is not an inexpensive source, the new-generation master tape copies range in price from $250 to $600.
              Why so expensive?
              The blank tape alone is $65 to start with, then you gave to record a real time copy from a master tape or low generation copy of that master tape. The sound of these new-gen master tape copies is actually very good, however there are two issues that are often overlooked.

1.) You need a deck that will play this format, 15ips, 2 track and an IEC EQ.
              2.) Would you expect to just buy a used 40 or 50 year old deck off of ebay and expect it to properly play back these high quality expensive tapes you have invested in? Would you want to play these expensive tapes on something that will not do them justice?

These are points one should explore before deciding to jump into tape or as you say just proceed with your vinyl rig.
              The rewards of tape are without question, superior, wonderful in fact, but sliding into it in the budget world may not work out that well.

• kensell21
              kensell21 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi Greg,

Thanks for your reply.

Your information was what I was expecting.. however, I was not just going to buy just anything off EBay.
              I'm not familiar with tape decks but I do understand that they have complex mechanisms. However, I've been very pleased with my 50 year old Garrard 401, fully reconditioned playing my classical collection, both new pressings and old. Considering my location, I didn't think it was worthwhile importing a high end machine with no ability of local support. I just wasn't sure if an earlier built machine could have been refurbished to a higher standard, like my TT has been.

Also a further thought on pricing of source material. Whether it's vinyl or another format, classical music (my genre I'm considering here)the pricing is relative to the quality, scarcity of the product and what people are willing to pay.. eg I do have a ERC vinyl pressing in my collection (I'm considering more) various Classic Records, ORG, AP and some first pressings. All have some value, all sound great in their own way on my 50 year old TT.

Originally posted by rockitman View Post
            My copy of this and Pines of Rome arrives any day now. Thanks for the detailed write up on this recording.
            Same here. Fedex arriving thurs.
            seems they have caught up with the backorders.

Comment

Well this tape is fricking awesome. Can't wait to hear Pines. It is hard to believe we can get such wonderful sounding and important titles in the ultimate medium that is tape.
              Christian
              System Gear

Comment

Originally posted by rockitman View Post
                Well this tape is fricking awesome. Can't wait to hear Pines. It is hard to believe we can get such wonderful sounding and important titles in the ultimate medium that is tape.
                I got to relisten to Pines tonight and it may be better than Scheherazade.

Comment

• rockitman
                  rockitman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I just finished tape A of Pines. You may be right.

I posted this in the 4-pack APUT thread but thought I'd add it here as well since this is specific to Scheherazade:

Tonight was reserved for reels A&B from the APUT of Scheherazade. Just like the Pine/Fountains APUT, this performance was excellent.

Additionally, it was also a fresh (different) perspective due to the new 2-track mixdown from the 3-track master used to make this reel-to-reel tape.

I could mirror the comments I made about Pines/Fountains in that these Scheherazade tapes were also very nice, spacious, and dynamic.

The instrument separation and clarity was impressive as well as the way the strings stayed focused and pure through very large fortissimos during the performance.

This is an excellent tape.

Dre
                Every day is a good day to play analog.
                12" 33.3/45rpm vinyl or 10.5" 15/30ips tape

Comment

As for the SACD version, weren't all the original RCA SACD's issued in 3 track mch if they were originally recorded that way? I am currently travelling, but I did listen to the SACD's when they first came out and except for the earliest albums (e.g. LSC-1806, LSC-1817, LSC-1893, etc) which were recorded in 2 track, the others which were recorded in 3 track (i.e. center channel) appear in the mch SACD as 3 track. So they should be closer to the original than any SACD 2 track mixdown. Not sure if the new SACD's preserve the 3 channels of the originals.

I have all of Chad's tapes issued so far, but am 6000 miles away from them and my SACD's until mid June to do any comparisons.

Larry

Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre
                  Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacMicroModel2
                  Dig Play-mch NADAC, Emotion, HQPlayer, Oppo95
                  Electronics-Herron VTSP3APre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
                  Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
                  Other-ArtKelmGroundOne IsoTrans,AudioDiskeSystemVinylClea ner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects, Power Supply
                  Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Working...
                  X