Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junior Wells: HooDoo Man Blues

From Don Morris.

Placed my order tonight. As Don mentioned, there’s a special price until 5/12 for $375 for two reel set. Looks like Delmark did a nice job on the packaging too!

Click image for larger version  Name:	F52D0538-8EC2-45E6-B6D2-9FFB41B87D2B.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.42 MB ID:	111717Click image for larger version  Name:	96649977-42FE-4182-9EC2-3F4BE964C029.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.96 MB ID:	111719Click image for larger version  Name:	33C00046-A6B8-4611-AEF5-0BA69868F408.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.18 MB ID:	111718

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_18163.jpg Views:	5 Size:	3.0 KB ID:	111720

Delmark finally has the Hoo Doo Man Blues up for sale on there website as of today. Please go to www.delmark.com to place you pre-order. I delivered their stocking order yesterday, so the tape is in stock.

The other tapes they will be offering will be up on the website in a couple of days. One of them might be very interesting since it has never been offered in any format. In other words, never released.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
    -Ensemble Fuoco hybrid integrated amplifier
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Cool. Classic and one of the best blues records sonically and musically.

Comment

Ordered mine.
      Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III Speakers - Silver Circle Audio 300B Monoblocks - TW Acustic RAS-100 Line Stage - TW Acustic RPS-100 Phono Stage - TW Acustic Raven AC w/ Black Knight Anniversary Upgrades - Kuzma 4-Point 14" and TW 10.5" Arms - Air Tight Opus-1 & Miyajima Zero - Playback Designs MP-5 to Bricasti M1 DAC - Tascam 42B-NB (Refurb by Soren Wittrup) + Doshi V.3 Tape Stage - (2) Silver Circle Audio TCHAIK 6's - Furutech PC's & IC's + Inakustik LS-4004 Air Speaker Cables - Stillpoints Aperture II Panels and Ultra 5S under speakers and Ultra SS's sprinkled about - SRA and Symposium platforms - Audio Desk Pro Ultrasonic & VPI 16.5 RCM

Comment

Got mine on order as well. Really looking forward to the "never released" release!
        TIDAL Audio Agoria Loudspeakers; VAC, Merrill Audio & Bricasti electronics; Spiral Groove SG-2 TT with Centroid Arm & Transfiguration Proteus D Cartridge; Ampex ATR-102 & Tape Project/Technics RS1500 reel-reels with Bottlehead Tube Repro Pre; Sonore Signature RenduSE Network Player; Bricasti M12 DAC/Source Controller; Ansuz Cables & Power Distribution

INDUSTRY AFFILIATION: Dealer- XtremeFidelity.net (VAC, Bricasti Design, Merrill Audio, Sonore, Ansuz, Aavik, Synergistic Research & others)

Comment

Ordered mine too!
          TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
          VINYL: Pioneer PL-50LII/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
          DIGITAL: Oppo BDP-95, MacMini > Oppo Sonica/Pioneer N-50
          SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9
          AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

Ordered mine too!
            Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Miyajima Madake, Miyajima Zero, Benz Micro LPS; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Studer A812; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

Comment

I only have <50 classical 1/4-track tapes I inherited from a friend for my ReVox G-36. (I acquired the ReVox G-36 to play those tapes)

So, I ordered the 1/4-track 7.5ips tape of HooDoo Man Blues to give the ReVox something else to play besides classical.

Dre
              Every day is a good day to play analog.
              - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
              - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
              Every day is a good day for live music.

Comment

Have the LP

Comment

Originally posted by bonzo75 View Post
                  Have the LP
                  I think many on this forum probably have the LP.

I believe the point of this thread was to alert Audionirvana viewers that the Junior Wells compilation is now available on tape from Delmark Records.

Dre
                  Every day is a good day to play analog.
                  - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
                  - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
                  Every day is a good day for live music.

Comment

I received a copy (1/4" 15IPS) of this a few days ago and must admit that I'm seriously disappointed by this release.

I seldom post any subjective opinions in forums because there are no absolutes here and always differences of opinion in matters such as these. I felt the need to express my opinion here, however, and would encourage you to try out the Delmark Sampler before spending your money on this tape.

I found the sound of this tape to be flat, muzzled, bass-flabby, and opaque (or whatever you consider the opposite of transparent). It was the first piece of music I listened to last night and had to immediately spin up another tape just to make sure something wasn't wrong with my system.

I do not own the LP for comparison so I have no idea whether the issues I heard exist in the original or are a result of the transfer.
                    Speakers: Rockport Avior
                    Amp: Ypsilon Aelius Mk II Silver Edition
                    Preamp: Pass Labs XS
                    Phono preamp: Ypsilon VPS-100, Slagle Silver SUTs
                    Phono: Continuum Criterion, Kuzma 4-Point, Lyra Etna SL (and others)
                    Digital: LauferTeknik Memory Player, dCS Scarlatti DAC
                    Tape: Studer A80 RC, King/Cello preamp

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                      MylesBAstor commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Perhaps something is wrong with the transfer. Sure you could send it back and Don would listen to it. Especially since our reactions are diametrically opposite. Shit unfortunately happens.

• timztunz
                      timztunz commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Maybe my expectations were lowered by some of the comments here or maybe I’m just more easily amused but I just listened to mine and thoroughly enjoyed it. It’s not the last word in sound quality but an important piece of music and presented quite well IMHO.

• Don RMGI
                      Don RMGI commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Very sorry to hear you are unhappy with the tape. If you will PM me with your address, I will send you a UPS shipping label. I would like to hear the tape. We can also send you a replacement.
                      Don

The sampler tape I heard of Hoodoo Man had sonics that would have been expected on a poorly maintained 8 track cartridge from the 70s 🙁

Dirty and distorted is what I heard.

R

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                      MylesBAstor commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That was supposed to be a 7-1/2 ips 4 track tape so I think it’s not a stretch to assume something is wrong with that sampler. I have the production version and aside from some early stereo issues previously mentioned sounds great really transparent, amazing body to instruments and transient attack. Big but controlled bass on basically all but the sampler track (the bass really brings the rhythms out on several of the tracks. The sampler track may be the weakest track on the recording. The others tracks are much better.

That's a bummer. I don't find the LP-- at least the right pressings-- to be deficient. But have obviously not heard the tape. Could it be some odd EQ issue?

Comment

The sampler tape I played on two systems was 15 IPS Two Track on a 7 inch reel. I'm still waiting for the full 10 inch Delmark Sampler tape to arrive.

r

Comment

Originally posted by squasher View Post
                        I received a copy (1/4" 15IPS) of this a few days ago and must admit that I'm seriously disappointed by this release.

I found the sound of this tape to be flat, muzzled, bass-flabby, and opaque (or whatever you consider the opposite of transparent). It was the first piece of music I listened to last night and had to immediately spin up another tape just to make sure something wasn't wrong with my system.
                        I had the same initial reaction.

Mine arrived this afternoon, I somewhat liked it much more playing on my Nagra IV-S than on my Lyrec PTR-1 MK2 which is more "Audiophile sounding".... cough,cough... than my Nagra.

The Lyrec did emphasized the SQ issues at the expense of the music. I wouldn't know either if the aging master or the copying is at fault for the overall sound quality. Maybe it was recorded like that, anyone with a first pressing?

I am about the same age as this recording and I could use some touch-up! A direct copy wouldn't improve the outcome...
                        Most of my other copies of master tape technically sound better but Brad Pitt is also about the same age as the recording if you see the analogy...
                        Again It might just be that is what is on the master. Still great music but not a flawless recording.

My next listen will be on my recapped studers which I am hoping for a "best match" and with a glass or two of wine, help with distortions...

Cheers!

Comment

I bought the tape from Delmark had the somewhat of the same initial reaction as well, which I posted elsewhere. The mids and bass actually i think are pretty outstanding, but the top end just isn’t there. i just think it’s the way this album sounds. The drums are kind of recessed and the cymbals sound dull. But the music is great and I think it’s just the recording.

I heard the first jazz release on tape Delmark is putting out at Axpona and it sounded much better (totally different music and recording obviously). i have ordered that tape too and will report back when it arrives.
                          TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
                          VINYL: Pioneer PL-50LII/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
                          DIGITAL: Oppo BDP-95, MacMini > Oppo Sonica/Pioneer N-50
                          SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9
                          AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

Working...
                          X