No announcement yet.

Junior Wells: HooDoo Man Blues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As luck would have it, the Delmark Sampler tape arrived and I had a chance to listen to it last night.

While I enjoyed listening to the Sampler, my overall feelings on the sonic quality haven't changed. I suspect that, like others have said, this is a function of the recording and/or condition of the original. There are times when instruments are heard like only tape can reveal them but other times when things sound muffled and recessed. There are also strange stereo (mixing?, mic-ing?) decisions where the guitar is panned hard to the right while other tracks sound mono-like by comparison.

Candidly, I felt like I was listening and remembering something my grandfather would play back when I was young. From this perspective, it was rewarding.

In conclusion, this tape is not the the one to own if you are looking to impress your friends on the merits of tape. The music is great, however, and may appeal to you as long as you can get past the the fact that it's not the last word in fidelity.
    Speakers: Rockport Avior
    Amp: Ypsilon Aelius Mk II Silver Edition
    Preamp: Pass Labs XS
    Phono preamp: Ypsilon VPS-100, Slagle Silver SUTs
    Phono: Continuum Criterion, Kuzma 4-Point, Lyra Etna SL (and others)
    Digital: LauferTeknik Memory Player, dCS Scarlatti DAC
    Tape: Studer A80 RC, King/Cello preamp

Comment

I also have purchased Hoodoo Man - in my case the 7.5 4 track version. Like others on this stream I am very disappointed in the sound. I only listened once so I will play it again- but what I heard sounds tubby in the bass with no high end. I am no expert but I don’t think the problem is old masters - I think it is in the mastering. The meters go absolutely nuts on this tape - way into the red - indeed pegged as far as they can go. I know the 911 tape can take this to some degree to get amazing dynamics - but I think it is overdone here by a wide margin. I think Delmark should investigate and redo it right and replace these tapes. Btw I have this on vinyl - I have at least 25 Denmark’s on vinyl - and i’ll Also do a compare when I get some time. Tape was run on a cla’d recapped Sony tc-645 which sounds amazing.

Comment

The one I heard was 15 IPS/2 Track and was recorded at a Very low level. Grunge city on both my Telefunken M12 and Studer 812. Quality is not 'job number one' on this label. To paraphrase Lloyd Bentsen, 'You're no Folk Singer'. :-)

Comment

Does the tape sound worse than, say, the Chad 45? Cause I never had an issue with that on the Wee Hours track, it sounds real*- the cymbals don't 'extend' the way some would on better audiophile records, but they don't sound muffled (or like trash can lids- the Blind Faith record has some of the worst cymbal sounds I have ever heard and part of it is a bad recording but part of it, I'm told by a drummer, was his choice of cymbals).
          *In the sense you are in a dark, smoky club and it's just got that vibe. I love that track.

Comment

I don't mean to pile on, but the tape that I bought (and then immediately returned) was not close to the AP lp . Indeed, I listened to a version on Tidal last night and it best the tape in terms of openness and Dynamics. It sounded as if someone went wrong on the transfer and that's what I told the folks at the Delmark table at AXPONA . When I played the tape in a room filled with other tape heads, all immediately said something was wrong

Comment

Here is my follow up. Tom C brought over his production copy of HooDoo Man Blues last night. The channel balance was skewed about 10-11 db to the left channel and the bass was more than a bit overripe. It did not sound anywhere near as bad as the sampler tape I was sent last month. It was quite decent sounding and I was getting into the groove, so to speak. Quite a fun album. The level on my sample tape was very low(guessing 180 nW level). The production tape we played was 250 nW(guess). Others have reported very high levels. Wonder what is going on?

R

Comment

Originally posted by U47 View Post
                Here is my follow up. Tom C brought over his production copy of HooDoo Man Blues last night. The channel balance was skewed about 10-11 db to the left channel and the bass was more than a bit overripe. It did not sound anywhere near as bad as the sampler tape I was sent last month. It was quite decent sounding and I was getting into the groove, so to speak. Quite a fun album. The level on my sample tape was very low(guessing 180 nW level). The production tape we played was 250 nW(guess). Others have reported very high levels. Wonder what is going on?

R
                Sounds like a complete remastering from scratch is in order......

Hell, I'd do it for no charge for them.......

Comment

• U47
                  U47 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I agree, it should have a complete remastering.

Delmark listened to peoples concerns about the sound of the tape and they have remastered both the HooDoo Man Blues and All the Gin is Gone albums. I received both of the new production masters at my office on Wednesday. Yes, they are much better than the original release.

We are in process of running the dups now for orders that have not been filled and Delmark will be contacting everyone early next week who purchased the original release to see if they want to send it back and be replaced with version 2.0.

Delmark will also be remastering the other two planned releases, Sun Ra and his Arkestra, Sun Song and Magic Sam, West Side Soul. Enjoy.

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                  MylesBAstor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That’s super and thanks to everyone for their feedback.

• RoadDawgWest
                  RoadDawgWest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Based on the feedback thus far, I've held off. I think I will get my order in now.

Now that’s customer service. Great news. I look forward to hearing 2.0. Thanks Delmark.
                TIDAL Audio Agoria Loudspeakers; VAC, Merrill Audio & Bricasti electronics; Spiral Groove SG-2 TT with Centroid Arm & Transfiguration Proteus D Cartridge; Ampex ATR-102 & Tape Project/Technics RS1500 reel-reels with Bottlehead Tube Repro Pre; Sonore Signature RenduSE Network Player; Bricasti M12 DAC/Source Controller; Ansuz Cables & Power Distribution

INDUSTRY AFFILIATION: Dealer- XtremeFidelity.net (VAC, Bricasti Design, Merrill Audio, Sonore, Ansuz, Aavik, Synergistic Research & others)

Comment

Has anyone been contacted by Delmark on the HooDoo Man Blues tape replacement?

Comment

I haven’t - and in fact I proactively reached out to them about it via email and have had no response.
                    TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
                    VINYL: Pioneer PL-50LII/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
                    DIGITAL: Oppo BDP-95, MacMini > Oppo Sonica/Pioneer N-50
                    SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9
                    AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

In talking with the people at Delmark late last week, a email will go out to anyone who purchased the first round of the HooDoo Man or All the Gin is Gone with details for the return. I expect that, from my conversation with them, that I will be sending out pickup tags for the return to my office.

Comment

Originally posted by Don RMGI View Post
                        In talking with the people at Delmark late last week, a email will go out to anyone who purchased the first round of the HooDoo Man or All the Gin is Gone with details for the return. I expect that, from my conversation with them, that I will be sending out pickup tags for the return to my office.
                        That is great to hear.
                        Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Miyajima Madake, Miyajima Zero, Benz Micro LPS; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Studer A812; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

Comment

I got the Jimmy Forest “All the Gin is Gone” Tape today and I’m happy to report it sounds great.

I still haven’t been contacted about replacing the not so good Junior Wells Tape, though...

EDIT/UPDATE: I just received the email with instructions to return the Junior Wells for the improved version.
                          Last edited by Skylab; 05-22-2019, 08:42 PM.
                          TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
                          VINYL: Pioneer PL-50LII/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
                          DIGITAL: Oppo BDP-95, MacMini > Oppo Sonica/Pioneer N-50
                          SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9
                          AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

Matt, first of all I am really glad to hear that you like the Jimmy Forrest, All The Gin Is Gone.

As for the replacement of the Junior Wells tape, just send it back to me. I am sure you will be as happy with version 2.0 as well. I will get the new version out to you with in a couple of day from when I receive it.

Best,
                            Don

Comment

• Skylab
                              Skylab commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thanks Don - you have an email from me...
                          Working...
                          X