Junior Wells: HooDoo Man Blues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all,
    I have just received an unsolicited email from the good folks at Delmark with instructions on returning my original Hoodoo Man Blues at no cost to me for a re-mastered vs. the original straight transferred version. I'm quite pleased at this action and looking forward to hearing the "2.0" version. They've also advised of new tapes coming, including Magic Sam Blues Band, Sun Ra, Sleepy John Estes and other artists from Don Morris. I think we should support these guys as they are obviously making an effort and doing the right thing at a heavy cost to them.
    Tom
    TIDAL Audio Agoria Loudspeakers; VAC, Merrill Audio & Bricasti electronics; Spiral Groove SG-2 TT with Centroid Arm & Transfiguration Proteus D Cartridge; Ampex ATR-102 with Merrill Audio Tape Preamp & Ampex electronics & Tape Project/Technics RS1500 reel-reels with Bottlehead Tube Repro Pre; Sonore Signature RenduSE Network Player; Bricasti M12 DAC/Source Controller; Ansuz Cables & Power Distribution

INDUSTRY AFFILIATION: Dealer- XtremeFidelity.net (VAC, Bricasti Design, Merrill Audio, Sonore, Ansuz, Aavik, Synergistic Research & others)

Comment

I got my Junior Wells Delmark reel back. It sounds MUCH better. It’s pretty remarkable, actually. Kudos to Delmark for making this right. I couldn’t be happier with this tape now and I will certainly continue to buy their tape releases.
      TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
      VINYL: Pioneer PL-50LII/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
      DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, MacMini > Oppo Sonica/Pioneer N-50
      SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9
      AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

deleted
        Last edited by chrisfromri; 06-24-2019, 02:02 PM.

Comment

• Skylab
          Skylab commented
          Editing a comment
          I personally can’t answer unfortunately - I don’t have any other versions to compare it to.

• chrisfromri
          chrisfromri commented
          Editing a comment
          deleted
          Last edited by chrisfromri; 06-24-2019, 02:01 PM.

I guess I wasn’t so lucky and the new version of Hoo Doo Man V2 is a huge step backwards. Maybe I got a bum tape and Don has graciously agreed to listen to and replace if necessary.

The latest tape sounds like a ham handed attempt to re-EQ the tape. (Does the person at Delmark who gave Don the running master know what they are doing???) To wit, track one, maybe the weakest track on the tape, is even worse. The bass that was kinda light and all over the place now sounds like someone just boosted it and the lower regions are now flabby, boomy and tubby. Totally ill defined. This bass boost really on the whole degrades the recording’s transparency.

The soundstage and instruments within that were located behind the plane of the speakers are now almost in the speaker. Guy’s guitar has really lost detail and sounds boring. Worse yet, the upper strings of Guy’s guitar on a couple of cuts are almost unrecognizable and sound an octave or two lower than they should be. Top end? Cymbals are maybe more extended but sounds like someone is beating a piece of metal to shape it.

On another track (and compared even to the LP), someone screwed up the tracking and Wells is no longer in the center. On the last couple of cuts, there is a teapot like whistling sound between tracks that continues into the music. It’s only the loudness of the music that obscures this noise.

Just to make sure wasn’t something with my tape setup, I played a couple of known tapes after and they sounded fine.

I sure hope my copy is an aberration and not the standard. New companies entering the tape market need to know that good enough doesn’t cut it. Nor does jumping on the tape bandwagon with releasing poorly thought thru material. Personally I’d like to know what actually went on with the transfer at Delmark and what was used to do the transfer. There’s no question that based on Chad’s 45 rpm that this is an excellent recording but you wouldn’t know it from this tape.
        Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
        -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
        -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
        -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
        -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
        -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
        -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
        -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
        -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
        -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
        -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Myles, I hope someone at Delmark addresses your comments immediately.
          Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Miyajima Madake, Miyajima Zero, Benz Micro LPS; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Studer A812; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

Comment

deleted
            Last edited by chrisfromri; 06-24-2019, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X