X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chrisfromri
    replied
    deleted
    Last edited by chrisfromri; 06-24-2019, 01:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dminches
    replied
    Myles, I hope someone at Delmark addresses your comments immediately.

Leave a comment:

• MylesBAstor
    replied
    I guess I wasn’t so lucky and the new version of Hoo Doo Man V2 is a huge step backwards. Maybe I got a bum tape and Don has graciously agreed to listen to and replace if necessary.

The latest tape sounds like a ham handed attempt to re-EQ the tape. (Does the person at Delmark who gave Don the running master know what they are doing???) To wit, track one, maybe the weakest track on the tape, is even worse. The bass that was kinda light and all over the place now sounds like someone just boosted it and the lower regions are now flabby, boomy and tubby. Totally ill defined. This bass boost really on the whole degrades the recording’s transparency.

The soundstage and instruments within that were located behind the plane of the speakers are now almost in the speaker. Guy’s guitar has really lost detail and sounds boring. Worse yet, the upper strings of Guy’s guitar on a couple of cuts are almost unrecognizable and sound an octave or two lower than they should be. Top end? Cymbals are maybe more extended but sounds like someone is beating a piece of metal to shape it.

On another track (and compared even to the LP), someone screwed up the tracking and Wells is no longer in the center. On the last couple of cuts, there is a teapot like whistling sound between tracks that continues into the music. It’s only the loudness of the music that obscures this noise.

Just to make sure wasn’t something with my tape setup, I played a couple of known tapes after and they sounded fine.

I sure hope my copy is an aberration and not the standard. New companies entering the tape market need to know that good enough doesn’t cut it. Nor does jumping on the tape bandwagon with releasing poorly thought thru material. Personally I’d like to know what actually went on with the transfer at Delmark and what was used to do the transfer. There’s no question that based on Chad’s 45 rpm that this is an excellent recording but you wouldn’t know it from this tape.

Leave a comment:

• chrisfromri
    commented on 's reply
    deleted
    Last edited by chrisfromri; 06-24-2019, 02:01 PM.

• Skylab
    commented on 's reply
    I personally can’t answer unfortunately - I don’t have any other versions to compare it to.

• chrisfromri
    replied
    deleted
    Last edited by chrisfromri; 06-24-2019, 02:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Skylab
    replied
    I got my Junior Wells Delmark reel back. It sounds MUCH better. It’s pretty remarkable, actually. Kudos to Delmark for making this right. I couldn’t be happier with this tape now and I will certainly continue to buy their tape releases.

Leave a comment:

• Afveep
    replied
    Hi all,
    I have just received an unsolicited email from the good folks at Delmark with instructions on returning my original Hoodoo Man Blues at no cost to me for a re-mastered vs. the original straight transferred version. I'm quite pleased at this action and looking forward to hearing the "2.0" version. They've also advised of new tapes coming, including Magic Sam Blues Band, Sun Ra, Sleepy John Estes and other artists from Don Morris. I think we should support these guys as they are obviously making an effort and doing the right thing at a heavy cost to them.
    Tom

Leave a comment:

• Skylab
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Don - you have an email from me...

• Don RMGI
    replied
    Matt, first of all I am really glad to hear that you like the Jimmy Forrest, All The Gin Is Gone.

As for the replacement of the Junior Wells tape, just send it back to me. I am sure you will be as happy with version 2.0 as well. I will get the new version out to you with in a couple of day from when I receive it.

Best,
    Don

Leave a comment:

• Skylab
    replied
    I got the Jimmy Forest “All the Gin is Gone” Tape today and I’m happy to report it sounds great.

I still haven’t been contacted about replacing the not so good Junior Wells Tape, though...

EDIT/UPDATE: I just received the email with instructions to return the Junior Wells for the improved version.
    Last edited by Skylab; 05-22-2019, 08:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dminches
    replied
    Originally posted by Don RMGI View Post
    In talking with the people at Delmark late last week, a email will go out to anyone who purchased the first round of the HooDoo Man or All the Gin is Gone with details for the return. I expect that, from my conversation with them, that I will be sending out pickup tags for the return to my office.
    That is great to hear.

Leave a comment:

• Don RMGI
    replied
    In talking with the people at Delmark late last week, a email will go out to anyone who purchased the first round of the HooDoo Man or All the Gin is Gone with details for the return. I expect that, from my conversation with them, that I will be sending out pickup tags for the return to my office.

Leave a comment:

• Skylab
    replied
    I haven’t - and in fact I proactively reached out to them about it via email and have had no response.

Leave a comment:

• firewall416
    replied
    Has anyone been contacted by Delmark on the HooDoo Man Blues tape replacement?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X