Entertape.com

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entertape.com

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180526_121743.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.99 MB ID:	88594Click image for larger version  Name:	20180526_121809.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.31 MB ID:	88595Click image for larger version  Name:	20180526_121629.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.10 MB ID:	88593

Or the company formerly known as Horch House. Apparently, Volker Lange and Horch House was recently acquired (though still working for the company) by a wealthy musician.

Brian Tucker of Pro Audio ran into Volker at the recent Munich Show and picked up a copy of Entertape's new 7-1/2 ips, NAB sampler tape. The sampler tape featured seven jazz and classical selections that will be available in 15-ips format (plus a few other of more German rock music at 7-1/2 ips and cassette format). The 15-ips tapes come on two metal reels using RTM SM468 (510 nWb) and CCIR/IEC EQ. The tapes will retail for 400 euros/330 euros excluding VAT.

I am still checking on tape provenance. Obtaining the MPS masters in Europe shouldn't be hard but am curious what Entertape is using for the EMI Elgar and RCA Beethoven tapes.

Spooled up the sampler tape last night (sadly the selection order listed on the tape box and the actual cut order were totally different) and was especially impressed with the three classical selections that included the EMI release of Elgar's Cello Concerto with Barbirolli/Dupre, the RCA release of Beethoven's Violin Concerto with Munch and Heifetz and the Eterna Shostakovitch Sym. #5 with Sanderling and the Berliner Sinfonie Orchestra releases. LSC 1992 shows why this period from the late '50s to the early '70s was known as the Golden Age of stereo. Amazing string and hall ambience and the sound of Heifetz's violin is mouth watering. In addition, the Mark Murphy Midnight Mood/MPS jazz vocal was excellent (released on vinyl by Pure Pleasure a couple of years ago).

I also pulled out just for the hell of it last night my copy of Elgar's Cello Concerto on LP ( EMI ASD 655) to compare using the Fuuga/Fatboy the record to the tape. Oh yes. To my consternation, I could only find a late half dog reissue. Sadly the late half dogs might be as what HP said about the RCA 0.5 series, half of what they could be. Now I was sure I had an early EMI pressing but will be damned if I could find it and early dogs are in the hundreds of dollars now. Guess will have to settle for picking up a postage stamp pressing of this EMI release.

The result: there was using the "First Movement" simply no comparison. First up the LP. Not bad sounding for a late issue EMI with that "solid-state" sound and a little edge creeping in as the music becomes more and more dynamic. Word of warning: if you want to enjoy the LP don't listen to the tape. The tape showed all the shortcoming of at least the late EMI release. Far better tone especially in the low end. Dupre's cello (and strings) just sounded richer--not as threadbare as on the record. No matter the dynamics, there was little edge to the sound (one of the Achilles heels of early EMIs was their hardness). More sense of hall (an EMI done at Kingsway?). A spectacular recording and performance.
    I really
    forgot just how good this early EMI recording was.

More to come as details emerge about these new Entertape recordings.

PS. Those who were looking to order the Horch House tapes on the old website might want to try emailing via the new Entertape website.
    We at Horch House take the words "all analogue" very seriously. You can be certain that when you buy a Horch House tape it is always AAA. Our goal is to bring you, the listener, as close to that day in the studio when the tracks were first laid down.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
    -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Thank you for this information. 330 euro ~ $385 usd.
    Vbr,

Sam

Comment

Thanks, Myles. Looks like another place to spend money! For those reading the contents of the sampler tape in #1, the Elgar - Warner is the EMI ASD655 than Myles writes about. It has two pieces, the great Elgar Cello Concerto with Jacqueline Dupre and the Elgar Sea Pictures with Janet Baker singing, both with Sir John Barbirolli conducting. It is the last 3 digit ASD and was reissued more than just about any EMI ASD (so you can find it with many different labels. As Myles said, the original is the ER1 label - red half circle with nipper - not to be confused with the last ER5 red half circle with nipper which looks more modern. In between were several different postage stamp nipper labels.

The album is listed as Elgar - Warner because Warner bought the classical catalogue from EMI. Universal bought the pop part of the collection. Apparently the legal authorities wouldn't allow Universal to buy the classical part because of anti-trust concerns. Universal owns Decca, DGG, Philips, Mercury and probably a few more classical labels.

The RCA is the Heifetz Beethoven Violin Concerto with Munch conducting the BSO. It is listed as SONY in the same paragraph as the EMI- Warner Elgar, but belongs in the paragraph below with Heifetz and Munch. Sony owns RCA as well as the Columbia/CBS classical lables.

Larry
      Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
      Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
      Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
      Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
      Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
      Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
      Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

• MylesBAstor
        MylesBAstor commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes I just ordered the colored postage stamp, no circle pressing to replace my half dog. The original half circle is really pricey.

Oh and should have some new tapes in the near future from Harry van Dalen formerly with Turtle Records in Europe. People who went to Munich may have met this new company (plus he owns a high-end audio store in Holland).

Found this on the site. Does anyone have it?

https://www.entertape.com/the-planets

It's only $143 US if you buy the 7.5ips version!

edit: I just ordered the 7.5 ips version.
      -Tim Leinbaugh
      -Professional RTR restoration and modification for 45 years.
      Tim@MusicTechnology.com
      www.MusicTechnology.com

Comment

Originally posted by Tapetech View Post
        Found this on the site. Does anyone have it?

https://www.entertape.com/the-planets

It's only $143 US if you buy the 7.5ips version!

edit: I just ordered the 7.5 ips version.
        I have the Horch House Richard Strauss Also Sprach Zarathustra conducted by Steinberg and the BSO on DGG (same forces as the Holst Planets). It is a 15ips 2 track and is a one reeler, so it is more affordable than the 2 reeler Planets. We're currently out of the country so I can't play it just now.

Larry

Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
        Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,

Comment

Just received some more information from Volker. The RCA Heifetz is from a new running master made for him by Sony at Battery Park Studios (assume Mark Wilder). Like what Chad did with new 15 ips 2-track tape but not sure if Entertape is using 1/2 or 1/4-inch running master. According to Volker, does the same If label won’t provide master tape (not sure about EMI). The tapes are available and take two weeks to make and then ship.

I’m ordering the Elgar and Beethoven Tape releases and report back.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
          -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
          -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
          -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
          -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• Tapetech
            Tapetech commented
            Editing a comment
            I sent an email to Entertape ten days ago about purchasing a tape and have had no reply. Guess they don't want my money.

Heifetz/Munch Entertape/RCA Sampler tape, 7-1/2 ips.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Elgar: Cello Concerto, Entertape/EMI, 7-1/2 ips sampler tape.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Mark Murphy: Midnight Moods, Entertape/SABA 7-1/2 ips sampler tape!

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

• Tapetech
                Tapetech commented
                Editing a comment
                Not sure if your kittie liked this cut! Are these tapes for sale? And who to contact for purchasing?

• MylesBAstor
                MylesBAstor commented
                Editing a comment
                They are in production and should be available in 2-3 weeks. Will keep everyone in the loop as soon as hear from Volker.

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
              Brian Tucker of Pro Audio ran into Volker at the recent Munich Show and picked up a copy of Entertape's new 7-1/2 ips, NAB sampler tape. The sampler tape featured seven jazz and classical selections that will be available in 15-ips format (plus a few other of more German rock music at 7-1/2 ips and cassette format). The 15-ips tapes come on two metal reels using RTM SM468 (510 nWb) and CCIR/IEC EQ. The tapes will retail for 400 euros/330 euros excluding VAT.

Holy Crap.. 510 nWb/m These tapes are HOT!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce B View Post

Holy Crap.. 510 nWb/m These tapes are HOT!!
                Surprised they are using SM468. Why not SM911 or SM900? MOre headroom.

Larry

Comment

At 510 nWb/m...SM911 and SM900 makes sense to me.
                  Perhap, less susceptible to print-through as well.
                  Vbr,

Sam

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
                    Click image for larger version Name:	20180526_121743.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.99 MB ID:	88594Click image for larger version Name:	20180526_121809.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.31 MB ID:	88595Click image for larger version Name:	20180526_121629.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.10 MB ID:	88593

Or the company formerly known as Horch House. Apparently, Volker Lange and Horch House was recently acquired (though still working for the company) by a wealthy musician.

I am still checking on tape provenance. Obtaining the MPS masters in Europe shouldn't be hard but am curious what Entertape is using for the EMI Elgar and RCA Beethoven tapes.

Spooled up the sampler tape last night (sadly the selection order listed on the tape box and the actual cut order were totally different) and was especially impressed with the three classical selections that included the EMI release of Elgar's Cello Concerto with Barbirolli/Dupre, the RCA release of Beethoven's Violin Concerto with Munch and Heifetz and the Eterna Shostakovitch Sym. #5 with Sanderling and the Berliner Sinfonie Orchestra releases. LSC 1992 shows why this period from the late '50s to the early '70s was known as the Golden Age of stereo. Amazing string and hall ambience and the sound of Heifetz's violin is mouth watering. In addition, the Mark Murphy Midnight Mood/MPS jazz vocal was excellent (released on vinyl by Pure Pleasure a couple of years ago).

I also pulled out just for the hell of it last night my copy of Elgar's Cello Concerto on LP ( EMI ASD 655) to compare using the Fuuga/Fatboy the record to the tape. Oh yes. To my consternation, I could only find a late half dog reissue. Sadly the late half dogs might be as what HP said about the RCA 0.5 series, half of what they could be. Now I was sure I had an early EMI pressing but will be damned if I could find it and early dogs are in the hundreds of dollars now. Guess will have to settle for picking up a postage stamp pressing of this EMI release.

The result: there was using the "First Movement" simply no comparison. First up the LP. Not bad sounding for a late issue EMI with that "solid-state" sound and a little edge creeping in as the music becomes more and more dynamic. Word of warning: if you want to enjoy the LP don't listen to the tape. The tape showed all the shortcoming of at least the late EMI release. Far better tone especially in the low end. Dupre's cello (and strings) just sounded richer--not as threadbare as on the record. No matter the dynamics, there was little edge to the sound (one of the Achilles heels of early EMIs was their hardness). More sense of hall (an EMI done at Kingsway?). A spectacular recording and performance.
                    I really
                    forgot just how good this early EMI recording was.

More to come as details emerge about these new Entertape recordings.

PS. Those who were looking to order the Horch House tapes on the old website might want to try emailing via the new Entertape website.
                    Seems Entertape.com site is kaput.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

I just tried the Horch House website and it was working fine. They have quite good prices for their 2 reeler albums (331 Euros or 380 USD in non VAT countries). The one reelers are relatively more (248 Euros 290USD non VAT). I bought several of their classical releases a few years ago. Some of those are no longer available on tape. There are some weird choices like the complete Bach Well Tempered Clavier on piano by Friederich Gulda on five 2 reel albums - $1900 USD for the whole thing! Also the second Callas Tosca, rather than the first. Don't know what this means, but they do subtle refurbishment of the tapes (by Christopher Stickel) to preserve their quality "rid the noise". Anyone can enlighten us on this. I know a good remastering engineer can tweak the tape in making the running master, looks like something like that is done.

I didn't see the duPre Elgar Cello Concerto or the Heifetz Beethoven Violin Concerto on the Horch House website.

Larry

Comment

Anyone can advise how to order Horch House Tape, entertape.com and horchhouse.com were inaccessible.

Thanks
                        Long

Comment

• Tapetech
                          Tapetech commented
                          Editing a comment
                          They no longer exist.
                      Working...
                      X