Two new IPI Tape releases

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two new IPI Tape releases

in case anyone didn’t see, this is from Jonathan. Personally I ordered the Reggie Thomas Trio Tape!

Dear All,

I have a new release of two performances which are completely different but which I think you’ll enjoy. Very exciting.

1. The Reggie Thomas Trio — I recorded this a few weeks ago. Pictures of the session are below with my earlier info on microphones, etc. This is now available for purchase as a direct copy and if bought during this initial sale it is $150.00. I will take all orders first and then run copies off the actual master. The music is very straight ahead gorgeous jazz. There is a piano/drum exchange at the end of the first tune that is stunning musically and sonically. Very natural drum sound. All of the tunes are very easy to listen to and I think you’ll love the sound. Just simple piano trio jazz. You can’t go wrong for $150.00 for a direct copy.

2. The next is a digital master of the highest quality, "Be Still" by Dave Douglas. Trumpeter Dave Douglas needs no introduction. See below for video sample of one of the songs. I will continue to make great digital masters available where I can. I find them wonderful in a different way to analog.

Well read this: https://www.stereophile.com/content/...las-ibe-stilli

I have the master digital file and will copy it to tape for those who want it. Cost for the Douglas is $200.00

And here is a video of one of the tunes with voice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocAaZ2aMrNo

You can buy both tapes or one or the other. Or neither. No pressure. However, I think you’ll enjoy both very much. And it helps this project keep going.

Please email me directly to order, not through the website. And I will hold on the shelf any order paid for but for shipping in the future.

Shipping/Paypal: U.S. = $25.00. Shipping Paypal Europe = $70.00. Shipping/Paypal Asia = $100.00.

Thank you all for your support.

Jonathan

-------------------------------------------

Jonathan Horwich
    International Phonograph, Inc.
    727 S. Dearborn St. Unit 1011
    Chicago, IL 60605
    Phone: 773-892-6470
    Email: jonathanhorwich@me.com

================================================== ================================================== ====================

REGGIES THOMAS TRIO:

Dear All,

Below I give some technical information about a recoding I did today (well now yesterday). Please feel free to ask any questions.

I just finished recording a fine jazz trio here in Chicago with serious musicians. I will release it in the next few weeks or so if all good once I listen to it and put the songs in order for the tapes. Below are some pictures of the session which give you insight into some of the decisions to be made in micing an instrument and putting baffles around it to isolate it.

For instance, below, I explain cardioid microphones versus omni-directional microphones. Example: Most if not all of the famous Blue Note sessions are done with cardioid microphones — those microphones that record mainly the sound right in front of the microphone and reject most other ambient sound. If you listen to some of the Blue Note sessions with that in mind you’ll see each instrument is clear (usually) but you do not get a sense of the surrounding space of the instrument or the room it was recorded in. Hence, reverb is employed to create a sense of space and expanse rather than using microphones (such as omni directional microphones) that also capture the sound of the original space of the venue where the recording took place. The problem with omni- directional microphones is they not only pick up the spacial clues of the venue, but also the other instruments playing in the space. Hence you get bleed from other instruments in the room into the instrument the mic is recording, causing aural confusion and lack of clarity. Therefore, most engineers use cardioid microphones closely placed to the instrument (to avoid picking up other instruments in the room) and use reverb to create a sense of space — but one would never think THAT space is the original space in which the instruments were recorded. The record company, ECM is also a good example of this. No one would ever think they are hearing the sound of the original recording venue in an ECM recording. It is a created sound and space. This is not said as a criticism at all. But as a description of creative/technical choices.

Creating a recording which captures each instrument and the sound of the room the instruments are in, and still maintain clarity and focus of individual instruments is very difficult to do — extremely difficult to do.
    TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
    VINYL: Pioneer PL-50LII/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
    DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, MacMini > Oppo Sonica/Pioneer N-50
    SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9
    AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

I ordered both.
    Speakers: Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III on Stillpoints Ultra 5S feet
    Amplifier: Silver Circle Audio 300B Monoblocks with Takatsuki 300B tubes
    Preamp: TW Acustic RPA-100 Line Stage
    Phono Stage: TW Acustic RPS-100
    Turntable - TW Acustic Raven AC w/ Black Knight Anniversary Upgrades
    Tonearm: Kuzma 4-Point 14" with Air Tight Opus-1 Cartridge
    Tonearm: TW 10.5" with Miyajima Zero Mono
    Vinyl Care: Audio Desk Pro Ultrasonic & VPI 16.5 RCM
    CD/SACD: Playback Designs MP-5 to Bricasti M1 DAC
    Tape: Tascam 42B-NB (Refurb by Soren Wittrup)
    Tape Stage: Doshi V.3
    Power Conditioner: (2) Silver Circle Audio TCHAIK 6
    Wire: Custom Furutech PC's & IC's + Inakustik LS-4004 Air Speaker Cables
    Tweaks: Stillpoints Aperture II Panels & Stillpoints Ultra SS's sprinkled about - SRA Ohio Class and Symposium Super Plus Platforms

Comment

• lance002
      lance002 commented
      Editing a comment
      Me too; arrive Friday.

I've ordered both and I am waiting for them to arrive!

Thanks Jonathan!

Comment

Got the Reggie Thomas Trio tape - great playing and sounds absolutely FABULOUS!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	C54225E7-888F-4D8D-84D4-E80850DB89A4.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	4.14 MB
ID:	114259 ​​​​​​​
      TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
      VINYL: Pioneer PL-50LII/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
      DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, MacMini > Oppo Sonica/Pioneer N-50
      SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9
      AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

• Tapetech
        Tapetech commented
        Editing a comment
        Is this your favorite deck? (BR20)

So glad to hear that Skylab. Thank you.
      JLH

Comment

• Tapetech
        Tapetech commented
        Editing a comment
        Where can I hear samples of the Reggie Thomas Trio recording?

• jonathanhorwich
        jonathanhorwich commented
        Editing a comment
        Nowhere so far. Sorry. But if you email me off site I can give you some guidance. jonathanhorwich@me.com
    Working...
    X