Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I hope that Jonathan won't mind that I spill the beans on his coming new releases

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hope that Jonathan won't mind that I spill the beans on his coming new releases

I just got his last two releases:

- Winston Choi - Schubert Impromptus Opus 90. If you liked the Opus 142 tape, you will definitely love this new one. One single recording session without any edit.
    - John Wojciechowski Quartet. Jonathan told me that it was one of his best recordings. Out of the 15 IPI tapes I have, I can confirm that not only the recording is superlative but the straight jazz is top notch as well.

Two previous releases were also included in the parcel that arrived yesterday. A great weekend.

Ordered the Winston Choi, and John Wokeciechowski as well. Glad to hear that you're initial impression on these tapes was positive. Looking forward to adding these tapes to my collection.
    [TURNTABLE] TW Acustic Raven One [TONEARM] Dynavector DV 507Mkii & Graham Phantom [PHONO] BAT VK-P10 & Dynavector PHA200; [CARTRIDGE] Dynavector XV1S, Lyra Kleos, Ortofon Cadenza Mono [TAPE] Otari MTR15 & Technics RS1500 with JRF Headblock [DIGITAL] Grace Design M920, Lynx Auroa 8 ADC/DAC, Mac Mini with roon labs [PRAMP] McIntosh C2300 [AMP] McIntosh C601s [SPEAKERS] Legacy Audio Whisper & Wavelet [ACC] Klaudio Ultrasonic RCM

Comment

Listened to my Woj today. Whoa! Stunning. Choi is spectacular as well.
      Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III Speakers - 300B Monoblocks - TW Acustic RLS-100 Line Stage - TW Acustic RPS-100 Phono Stage - TW Acustic Raven AC with (2) 10.5 Arms and Black Knight Anniversary Upgrades - Ortofon A-95 and Miyajima Zero - Playback Designs MP-5 to a Bricasti M1 DAC for SACD (DSD) and Redbook - Tascam 42B (Refurb by Soren Witrup) + Doshi V.3 Tape Stage - (2) Silver Circle Audio TCHAIK 6's - Furutech Power Cords & Interconnects + Inakustik LS-4004 Air Speaker Cables - VPI 16.5 RCM

Comment

I'll be ordering the Winston Choi tape. His Op142 is great. The Christian Jacob is my kind of jazz - great sonics.

BTW, if people are interested in exploring Jonathan Horwich's tapes, but don't have tape recorders, a fine alternative is HDTT, where Bob Witrak has digital versions of many of Jonathan's jazz tapes at very hirez, IIRC, all were done at DSD256 using Jonathan's direct copy of masters. Sound best if you have a DAC that does DSD256. However, he also sells them in lower resolution, including PCM.

https://www.highdeftapetransfers.com...phonograph-inc

The link goes right to the page with Jonathan's albums. There are 22 jazz albums and 2 classical.

Larry
        Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
        Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
        Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiGG, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
        Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
        Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
        Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
        Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Thank you all for your kind words. I am trying to improve quality while reducing prices, in the case of these new releases, $250.00 for two direct tape copies plus free shipping in the U.S. The new releases are available and I'm very very happy with the jazz quartet, as I got the air I wanted around the instruments and yet they have a presence too. The Choi classical is gorgeous music and speaks for itself.
          JLH

Comment

Originally posted by jonathanhorwich View Post
            Thank you all for your kind words. I am trying to improve quality while reducing prices, in the case of these new releases, $250.00 for two direct tape copies plus free shipping in the U.S. The new releases are available and I'm very very happy with the jazz quartet, as I got the air I wanted around the instruments and yet they have a presence too. The Choi classical is gorgeous music and speaks for itself.
            I agree on the Wojo tape. Definitely opened things up a notch or two! Worth getting the tape just for the last track Passion Flower.
            Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
            Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 and Thoress Mk. 2 phonostages; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/12-inch Fat Boy, SAT LM-12 arm, Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, SPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• jonathanhorwich
              jonathanhorwich commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you Myles. I'm glad you liked the Wojo tape. He can play as can all the musicians on it.

Jonathan, please count me in. I am not a jazz lover but if I understand you correctly you consider this latest jazz tape as one of your best so I will try ‘to get into jazz’. Was impressed with the tapes I bought lately from you. If I understand you correctly, both tapes are direct copies from the master?

Comment

• jonathanhorwich
              Editing a comment
              Thank you Audiocrack. Please email me at jonathanhorwich@me.com. Thank you very much.

• Tango
              Tango commented
              Editing a comment
              You might want to try Dee Alexander too Rudolf. Entertaining music with excellent sonic.

Order placed! I’m always psyched to see new tapes available from Jonathan!
            TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
            VINYL: VPI ScoutMaster/Benz LP-S MR/EAR 834P; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
            DIGITAL: Oppo BDP-95, MacMini > Oppo Sonica/Pioneer N-50
            SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9
            AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

And it arrived today! Spinning the John Wojciechowski Quartet right now - sounds absolutely heavenly. Nice playing, too, for sure. Another great tape from Jonathan.

Click image for larger version

Name:	57D26FAC-5AA0-421E-A127-0C751462F50C.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	2.49 MB
ID:	81019
              TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
              VINYL: VPI ScoutMaster/Benz LP-S MR/EAR 834P; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
              DIGITAL: Oppo BDP-95, MacMini > Oppo Sonica/Pioneer N-50
              SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9
              AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

My tapes just arrived. I'll be spinning them tonight. Larry
                Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
                Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,

Comment

Just finished listening to both tapes.

The first one I listened to is the Schubert Impromptus Op90 for piano. Winston Choi does a fine job in playing the Impromptus, a set of four that Schubert wrote in 1827, a year before his death. They were followed by another set of four impromptus, Op142 written in the same year, but not published until several years after Schubert's death at the age of 31.

The Impromptus are delightful, melodic pieces that I first heard more than fifty years ago in the mid 60's when I bought a bargain record in college, by the then unknown pianist Alfred Brendel on the Vox label. The impromptus made my fall in love with Schubert. Jonathan Horwich recorded Winston playing both sets of impromptus on the same date, July 18, 2017 at Ganz Hall at Roosevelt University in Chicago. Ganz Hall holds about 200 so is a perfect size for chamber music and solo piano recitals. Jonathan captures the piano sound beautifully and Winston plays the four pieces with only short pauses between them - according to the notes - no edits. To my ear he played flawlessly. Between the third and fourth impromptu, you can hear Jonathan make a comment, and at the very end, both Winston and Jonathan make brief comments. Great music, played beautifully, and wonderfully recorded in a acoustically attractive environment. What could be better. I have the other set of Impromptus which Jonathan released last year. The limitations of length of tape meant for that earlier tape, only the first three impromptus of Op142 could be included. The image of Winston playing the 7' Steinway is with Winston at the keyboard directly in front of the listener with the piano sound emanating from right of center. I am assuming this is a Steinway B, which is 6' 10" long, shorter than a full size 9 foot concert grand, but one that is perfect for a space the size of Ganz Hall. The equivalent Boesendorfer piano (225cm or 7' 4") is called a Halbkonzert, or half concert - designed for smaller halls or very large homes. Tape is almost 30 minutes long.

The John Wojciechowski Quartet is my kind of jazz, a group of melodic ballades (no hard bop). John Woj plays a very mellow sax and his three compatriots whose name you can see on Skylab's photo of the album, are completely in sync with him. Jeremy Kahn is the pianist and I have heard him in another of Jonathan's tapes. According to the tape notes, the recording was done by Jonathan on an eight track machine on January 31, just a month ago. I believe that the direct copies of the masters that we have gotten are direct transfers from the 8 track tape mixed down to two tracks. Jonathan is able to capture the sounds of each instrument very clearly, yet balance the sound in an acoustical environment. The instruments are spread across the sound stage so one can easily hear each instrument's solos and contributions to the ensemble. The pieces are all standards. There is a long drum solo at the beginning of the last piece. Tape is over 30 minutes long.

Larry

Comment

• jonathanhorwich
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you very much Larry. Yes, the John Wojcieckowski tapes were directly copies right off the 8 track master. I hope in this recording I have captured enough detail and nuance yet portrayed a natural sound that isn't "hi fi."

Originally posted by astrotoy View Post
                  The Impromptus are delightful, melodic pieces that I first heard more than fifty years ago in the mid 60's when I bought a bargain record in college, by the then unknown pianist Alfred Brendel on the Vox label. The impromptus made my fall in love with Schubert. Jonathan Horwich recorded Winston playing both sets of impromptus on the same date, July 18, 2017 at Ganz Hall at Roosevelt University in Chicago. Ganz Hall holds about 200 so is a perfect size for chamber music and solo piano recitals. Jonathan captures the piano sound beautifully and Winston plays the four pieces with only short pauses between them - according to the notes - no edits. To my ear he played flawlessly. Between the third and fourth impromptu, you can hear Jonathan make a comment, and at the very end, both Winston and Jonathan make brief comments. Great music, played beautifully, and wonderfully recorded in a acoustically attractive environment. What could be better. I have the other set of Impromptus which Jonathan released last year. The limitations of length of tape meant for that earlier tape, only the first three impromptus of Op142 could be included. The image of Winston playing the 7' Steinway is with Winston at the keyboard directly in front of the listener with the piano sound emanating from right of center. I am assuming this is a Steinway B, which is 6' 10" long, shorter than a full size 9 foot concert grand, but one that is perfect for a space the size of Ganz Hall. The equivalent Boesendorfer piano (225cm or 7' 4") is called a Halbkonzert, or half concert - designed for smaller halls or very large homes. Tape is almost 30 minutes long.
                  When I played the Op 142 tape some months ago, my son who was back from college for the weekend jumped into the listening room asking what I was playing and as he saw the reels turning on the tape deck, he enquired whether I had a digital version. Though he is not in classical music at all, he was moved by these beautiful pieces. I gave him the CD of the 7 impromptus that Claudio Arrau recorded few months before he passed away.

Comment

• astrotoy
                    astrotoy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wonderful, maybe he will start listening to classical music!
                Working...
                X