No announcement yet.

The Doctor is In

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounded wonderful over at Harry Weisfeld's today.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Fuuga cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Had an opportunity to play the tape Friday night. What a great way to end a hectic week. Everything you expect from a tape recording. Probably spin the vinyl tomorrow afternoon.
      Thank you again for making this tape available.
      [TURNTABLE] TW Acustic Raven One [TONEARM] Dynavector DV 507Mkii & Graham Phantom [PHONO] BAT VK-P10 & Dynavector PHA200; [CARTRIDGE] Dynavector XV1S, Lyra Kleos, Ortofon Cadenza Mono [TAPE] Otari MTR15 & Technics RS1500 with JRF Headblock [DIGITAL] Grace Design M920, Lynx Auroa 8 ADC/DAC, Mac Mini with roon labs [PRAMP] McIntosh C2300 [AMP] McIntosh C601s [SPEAKERS] Legacy Audio Whisper & Wavelet [ACC] Klaudio Ultrasonic RCM

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
        Sounded wonderful over at Harry Weisfeld's today.
        Originally posted by RoadDawgWest View Post
        Had an opportunity to play the tape Friday night. What a great way to end a hectic week. Everything you expect from a tape recording. Probably spin the vinyl tomorrow afternoon.
        Thank you again for making this tape available.
        Excellent. I'm happy to read you are both enjoying the 2nd generation (from the 2-Track Master) Tape and accompanying 180 gram LP.

Thanks for the feedback,
        Dre
        Every day is a good day to play analog.
        12" 33.3/45rpm vinyl or 10.5" 15/30ips tape

Comment

I received my copy and had a chance to listen to the tape over the weekend. I definitely enjoyed the music and would recommend it to others.

Thanks for the work.

p.s. Haven't had a chance to listen to the LP yet.
          Speakers: Magico Q3
          Amp: Ypsilon Aelius Mk II Silver Edition
          Preamp: Doshi 2.1 Linestage
          Phono preamp: Doshi 2.1, Slagle Silver SUTs
          Phono: Continuum Criterion, Continuum Copperhead, Ortofon A90, Miyajima Madake, ZYX Universe
          Digital: LauferTeknik Memory Player, dCS Scarlatti DAC
          Tape: Studer A80 RC, Studer A807, King/Cello preamp

Comment

I have ordered the tape and LP from Dre - looking forward to getting it.
            TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20, 3030; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
            VINYL: VPI ScoutMaster/Benz LP-S MR/EAR 834P; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
            SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9
            AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

Originally posted by squasher View Post
              I received my copy and had a chance to listen to the tape over the weekend. I definitely enjoyed the music and would recommend it to others.

Thanks for the work.

p.s. Haven't had a chance to listen to the LP yet.
              Thanks for the feedback on enjoying the music.

Dre

Comment

Tape is here and sounds fabulous. Great stuff. Very cool music and the sonics are really spectacular.
                TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20, 3030; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909

Comment

Originally posted by Skylab View Post
                  I have ordered the tape and LP from Dre - looking forward to getting it.
                  Originally posted by Skylab View Post
                  Tape is here and sounds fabulous. Great stuff. Very cool music and the sonics are really spectacular.
                  Excellent. We are glad you are enjoying the music and sonics.

Dre

Comment

Enjoying it even more today! Here is a short clip:

http://vid69.photobucket.com/albums/...psz32j7ioj.mp4

Comment

• mep
                      mep commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Man, that sounded great over my computer speakers.

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
                    Click image for larger version Name:	16711798_10202667400522664_957610077976566820_n.jpg Views:	1 Size:	77.7 KB ID:	43471

Talk about being dumbfounded.

This new new second generation 15 ips tape copy is simply sensational. Andre, who is friends with Joe Trischler, turned Mark and me onto this '50/'60s rock recording. Not only turned us onto the recording but made second generation 15 ips tape safeties for each of us. The tape transfer was done directly from Joe's completely customized Crown master deck at 355 nanowebers (same levels as the master) to Andre's pro-Otari deck with recently installed Flux Magnetic heads.

Turns out Joe Tritschler, aka Crazy Joe, is an audiophile, electrical engineer and musician and the album The Doctor is In was recorded in Joe's completely custom designed studio (Check out the accompanying link for more information about Joe's studio as well as his custom made guitars. http://doctorcrazyjoe.com/studio.html). Everything from his pro Crown R2R deck to the hybrid 12-channel console to the hand built tube mikes to the transformerless, unbalanced and completely analog chain was custom designed by Joe. And it shows in the recording! This albums really rocks and possesses a unique sonic purity seldom heard in any recording. The sound of the Joe's custom built guitars and ukulele, organ and drums are simply mouth watering. Unsmeared transients and incredible transparency. Amazing soundstaging.

While I haven't had a chance to spin the LP yet, we'll have a winner if the album is 1/2 of the tape!
                    Originally posted by mep View Post
                    I have to second what Myles said about this tape. If you think late 1950s/1960s Buddy Holly style rock (there is one blues cut on here too), you will get the picture. I find this music infectious and the sound is really, really good. It's rare to get a copy made straight from the master, and even more rare to have the original deck the tape was recorded on as the source feeding the deck that makes your copy. Andre's deck is tweaked and peaked to the max and makes great tapes. It's a great tape to add to your collection.
                    Originally posted by Dre_J View Post
                    Myles sums it up nicely.

My friend (Joe) came by with his 1st generation master tape of The Doctor Is In! and we did the transfers using, as a source, his custom Crown SX-722 with NOS Nortronics Duracore heads (the playback head is long-pole extended low-frequency model) with a direct feed from the head amp into a custom three discrete class-A transistor output stage. The Crown SX-722 also has “upgraded regulated power supply with +/- 40V rails and precision fixed NAB network with 1% MIAL Polystyrene EQ capacitor”.

This setup used the actual Crown SX-722 deck the master tape was recorded on as the playback deck. In essence, the 1st generation master tape was played back on THE tape deck, as intended by the artist/engineer. Even the LP wasn’t cut using this Crown SX-722 deck for playback. This is/was unique being able to listen to the master tape played back on Joe’s deck. Even better, my 2nd generation copy contains the added benefit of the character of his playback deck as he listened to it's output in his studio.

The 2nd generation tapes were recorded at 15 ips (355 nW/m) with the IEC record equalizer in my ¼” 2-track Otari MTR-10 Mastering Tape Deck that was fully calibrated and aligned with the MRL Multifrequency calibration tapes for open-reel applications. The headblock was recently serviced at JRF Magnetic Sciences (relapped record and erase heads and a new Flux Magnetics Mastering Series custom repro head).

Below is a picture of the recording session that day: Click image for larger version Name:	DoctorIsIn-transfer_CrownSX-722-OtariMTR-10.jpg Views:	1 Size:	71.3 KB ID:	43479

Dre

I spoke to Joe and I have permission to make some more copies. Registered members, please send me a message through the forum Message Center.

Dre
                    Hopefully all of the registered members who were interested in a copy of the Master tape of The Doctor Is In! have contacted me via the Message Center.

If not, I'll have a chance (and Joe's permission) to run more copies soon.

For those who have received their copies, we hope you are enjoying the music and sonics on this tape.

Dre
                    We are getting ready to do another run of The Doctor is In! early next week (April 17-18). If there are any registered members interested in this tape, contact me via the Message Center.

Dre
                    Last edited by Dre_J; 04-16-2017, 10:39 PM. Reason: Corrected the Transfer Date to April 17-18

Comment

We are getting ready to do another run of The Doctor is In! early next week (April 17-18). If there are any registered members interested in this tape, contact me via the Message Center.

Dre
                      Please note the corrected tape transfer dates. Originally had April 24-25 but actual transfers will be April 17th-18th of this month. IOW: Tomorrow and Tuesday.

Comment

If by some chance you do another run of these I'd be very appreciative to get a copy as well. Cheers,

ian

Comment

• Dre_J
                          Dre_J commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hi Ian,

Registered members can communicate with me about acquiring the tape via the Message Center. I've sent you a message.

Dre

I would like to get a copy of the LP....
                        Primary 2 channel stuff: Atma-Sphere MP-1 Mk 3.3, Pass Labs X600.5 amps, Eminent Technology LFT VI speakers, Aerial SW 12 subs, True Sound Works Ultimate Apogee Divas, VPI Mag Drive / Rim Drive HRX w Avenger Reference footers, 2 - 12" VPI 3DR tonearms, 1 - 12" VPI Stainless Steel tonearm, Miyajima Kansui, Miyajima ZERO, Fidelity Research MC-201 & 202, VPI ADS, Vendetta Research SCP-1, Truth Mod OPPO 105, Western Electric Speaker wire, DIY & Discovery interconnects, Furutech Power Cords

Comment

We are considering another run of The Doctor is In! open reel 15 ips tape soon.

If there are any registered members interested in acquiring this tape that missed out on the earlier runs, contact me via the Message Center.

Dre

Comment

Working...
                        X