Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patricia Barber Companion Now Available on RTR Tape!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patricia Barber Companion Now Available on RTR Tape!

One of my favorite Patricia Barber recordings!

Dear All,

The producer of Patricia Barber has agreed to put out her Companion performance. This consists of two tapes (around 25 to 28 minutes each) made directly off the master digital tape of Doug Sax.

The recording was done live at the legendary jazz club, The Green Mill, in Chicago. In fact, I used to go watch Patricia live at the Green Mill and I can tell you this is just how it felt in the club. And this is what makes this performance unique, it captures accurately a live event. And I well remember the wonderful drum solos such as on Black Magic Woman on tape 2. I also am a fan of the guitar playing which melds jazz with a taste of rock.

This release as always will be limited in number. For example, I’ve had many requests for Cafe Blue in the last 3 months but we are not running it anymore. Those of you who bought it were smart to do so.

Pricing is the same as Nightclub, which is $450.00 for both reels.

As usual I will hold the tapes on the shelf here for anybody who wants to wait on shipment. Shipping/Paypal costs are $25.00 U.S. And $75.00 Europe. And $100.00 Asia/Australia.

Check with me if any questions on the shipping/Paypal cost.

Those who pay first will be shipped to first.

There will probably be a slight delay before I ship to you as I run the copies, but first come first served.

Please ask any questions you wish. And if the timing isn’t good financially, reserve a copy and we’ll work it out as we always do.

Jonathan
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
    -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Yes, great record.
    I think I prefer it over Café Blue....
    I ordered mince immediately !!

Julien

Comment

Originally posted by jsullerot View Post
      Yes, great record.
      I think I prefer it over Café Blue....
      I ordered mince immediately !!

Julien
      Cool! Me too!

Eager to hear your thoughts!

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Excited to hear this tape.
        [TURNTABLE] TW Acustic Raven One [TONEARM] Dynavector DV 507Mkii & Graham Phantom [PHONO] BAT VK-P10 & Dynavector PHA200; [CARTRIDGE] Dynavector XV1S, Lyra Kleos, Ortofon Cadenza Mono [TAPE] Otari MTR15 & Technics RS1500 with JRF Headblock [DIGITAL] Grace Design M920, Lynx Auroa 8 ADC/DAC, Mac Mini with roon labs [PRAMP] McIntosh C2300 [AMP] McIntosh C601s [SPEAKERS] Legacy Audio Whisper & Wavelet [ACC] Klaudio Ultrasonic RCM

Comment

Another tape cut from a digital file? And die hard digital haters are lining up to buy it?
          SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek with an SME 3012R with Dyna XV-1S cartridge, VPI Avenger table with rim drive and JMW -12-3D arrm with Lyra Etna SL cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

• jonathanhorwich
            jonathanhorwich commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't feel confused. I love both analog and digital. And I was hard pressed to find a better sounding version of Patricia Barber than taking the original digital master right into the tape deck. All this assuming superb digital and analog gear better than most mastering houses use, if they even had the original digital file to use. It is really simple. Less steps in between and really fine gear. And MEP, I do get your point about the irony but hope people who hate digital aren't buying my few digital to analog tapes. Wait, maybe I do hope they do so they can see digital can sound fabulous when done right, same as analog. Each have their strengths to me.
            Last edited by jonathanhorwich; 07-19-2019, 11:53 PM.

Originally posted by mep View Post
          Another tape cut from a digital file? And die hard digital haters are lining up to buy it?
          Right.... well, apart that you cannot get closer to this original master than having it dubbed directly to audio tape.
          Is the super CD or special audiophile Lp closer to master, be it digital ?
          Dont think so.
          But, I am a newbie, and I might be wrong.

Anyway, I like this Barber's record very much, so let's test (taste ?) it on tape.

Julien

Comment

Great music and always awesome work from Jonathan. Ordered toot sweet.
            Speakers: Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III on Stillpoints Ultra 5S feet
            Amplifier: Silver Circle Audio 300B Monoblocks with Takatsuki 300B tubes
            Preamp: TW Acustic RPA-100 Line Stage
            Phono Stage: TW Acustic RPS-100
            Turntable - TW Acustic Raven AC w/ Black Knight Anniversary Upgrades
            Tonearm: Kuzma 4-Point 14" with Air Tight Opus-1 Cartridge
            Tonearm: TW 10.5" with Miyajima Zero Mono
            Vinyl Care: Audio Desk Pro Ultrasonic & VPI 16.5 RCM
            CD/SACD: Playback Designs MP-5 to Bricasti M1 DAC
            Tape: Tascam 42B-NB (Refurb by Soren Wittrup)
            Tape Stage: Doshi V.3
            Power Conditioner: (2) Silver Circle Audio TCHAIK 6
            Wire: Custom Furutech PC's & IC's + Inakustik LS-4004 Air Speaker Cables
            Tweaks: Stillpoints Aperture II Panels & Stillpoints Ultra 5S's & SS's sprinkled about - SRA Ohio Class and Symposium Super Plus Platforms

Comment

I understand your question but not sure can totally answer it.

Let me say that the tape is the best sounding of the three mediums that I've compared (CD/LP/Tape). Factor into that I really dig her music.

Digging a little deeper. It is a reasonable 16/44 digital recording and yes I can hear its limitations especially when we're talking to harmonics and resolution. That's partially compensated for with Anderson's use of delay and reverb. It was also recorded digitally and run through an analog board and IIRC edited in the analog domain. Maybe digital is more friendly to jazz than other genres too? I find the more complex the music, the worse digital sounds.

And I've heard digital on tape that sounds bad so give some credit to Jonathan's transfers too.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

I understand your question but not sure can totally answer it.

Let me say that the tape is the best sounding of the three mediums that I've compared (CD/LP/Tape). Factor into that I really dig her music.

Digging a little deeper. It is a reasonable 16/44 digital recording and yes I can hear its limitations especially when we're talking to harmonics and resolution. That's partially compensated for with Anderson's use of delay and reverb. It was also recorded digitally and run through an analog board and IIRC edited in the analog domain. Maybe digital is more friendly to jazz than other genres too? I find the more complex the music, the worse digital sounds.

And I've heard digital on tape that sounds bad so give some credit to Jonathan's transfers too.
                I'm not saying that a transfer of a digital file to tape can't sound great, it's the irony I'm addressing. It's hard to maintain the "digital sucks" narrative and maintain your anti-digital bonafides when you are willing to fork over the big bucks for a single album cut to tape from a digital file. It's like being an activist vegetarian and getting caught at McDonalds eating a Big Mac.
                SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek with an SME 3012R with Dyna XV-1S cartridge, VPI Avenger table with rim drive and JMW -12-3D arrm with Lyra Etna SL cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

• RoadDawgWest
                  RoadDawgWest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you for explaining your analogy, but re-reading the post again is not required. Your analogy makes no sense based on the title of the thread.

I disagree that I was "trying to dive down a rat hole with my example of an analogy." What I view as the same old rant might have been better served by starting a new thread or continue in the many others that align more closely with your analogy.

• mep
                  mep commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My comment/analogy makes perfect sense in the context it was written in. It doesn't mean you have to agree with my comment/analogy which obviously you don't which is fine. Maybe if you understood the depth of hatred some people have for digital audio my comment would make more sense to you when these same people are purchasing tapes cut from a digital file.

• RoadDawgWest
                  RoadDawgWest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  How do you know if I do or do not understand "the depth of hatred some people have for digital audio"? Would that be an assumption?

I'm not saying that a transfer of a digital file to tape can't sound great, it's the irony I'm addressing. It's hard to maintain the "digital sucks" narrative and maintain your anti-digital bonafides when you are willing to fork over the big bucks for a single album cut to tape from a digital file. It's like being an activist vegetarian and getting caught at McDonalds eating a Big Mac.
                Digital is full of paradoxes. In this is case, it’s the music triumphing over the format. I wouldn’t fork over the money for just any old digital recording on tape. Plus the tape sounds very good but I’m aware of it’s limitations. I also think sometimes ambience added to the recording mitigates some of the digital sound???

Perhaps it’s something that Jonathan does right in his transfers.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

Digital is full of paradoxes. In this is case, it’s the music triumphing over the format. I wouldn’t fork over the money for just any old digital recording on tape. Plus the tape sounds very good but I’m aware of it’s limitations. I also think sometimes ambience added to the recording mitigates some of the digital sound???

Perhaps it’s something that Jonathan does right in his transfers.
                  If any digital recordings sound great, that means the potential is there for digital to sound great. It can't be that digital can only sound great on very select recordings and yet the medium is fatally flawed except on digital recordings converted to analog that we like. Dire Straits BIA is a pure digital recording and it happens to sound great. The best version I have heard is the MoFi 45 RPM release.

As for Jonathan, he makes great sounding tapes and his transfers are first rate.

Comment

Originally posted by jsullerot View Post

Right.... well, apart that you cannot get closer to this original master than having it dubbed directly to audio tape.
                    Is the super CD or special audiophile Lp closer to master, be it digital ?
                    Dont think so.
                    But, I am a newbie, and I might be wrong.

Anyway, I like this Barber's record very much, so let's test (taste ?) it on tape.

Julien
                    I hope you appreciate this is not a statement of fact. It's your opinion.

Comment

No controversy for me...mine's already on the way!
                      TIDAL Audio Agoria Loudspeakers; VAC, Merrill Audio & Bricasti electronics; Spiral Groove SG-2 TT with Centroid Arm & Transfiguration Proteus D Cartridge; Ampex ATR-102 with Merrill Audio Tape Preamp & Ampex electronics & Tape Project/Technics RS1500 reel-reels with Bottlehead Tube Repro Pre; Sonore Signature RenduSE Network Player; Bricasti M12 DAC/Source Controller; Ansuz Cables & Power Distribution

INDUSTRY AFFILIATION: Dealer- XtremeFidelity.net (VAC, Bricasti Design, Merrill Audio, Sonore, Ansuz, Aavik, Synergistic Research & others)

Comment

This is not only the last call for Companion but anyone who wants Patricia’s Nightclub I’ll run it for you at this point.

Nightclub is a first rate performance by Patricia and a fabulous recording by the renowned Jim Anderson.

My recommendation and opinion: Nightclub is a stunning recording and world class performance. Not to be missed.

So let me know if any of you wish Nightclub or Companion before I shut things down next week.

Thank you all.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Working...
                        X